Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

3 hours ago, theFlu said:

talk about me as an example, as I know of nothing else. I can't say I know even that all too well, but we use what we have. For what comparison I can see, I don't differ that much from the couple youtubers I follow (Kage848, JaWoodle), that's about it. My point was not to tell you I don't use either, I wouldn't have bothered. The shovel comment was a joke: "shoveling that much" = you'd have to make the first tiers of shovel take 19 hits on topsoil to reduce the number of swings by one per "tier of shovel". Nineteen! That makes digging for the 50 needed for the forge sound like a chore already.

I just reread that post again to be sure: It postulates that you need to make each quality step down would need either one more swing or half of that at least to be noticable. I explained why I disagree. Will there be people who don't notice it? Probably. You probably among them as you use the shovel for about 50 clay as you say. But I am sure there will be lots of people noticing it around prominent points where for example two hits turn into one hit slowly. And that "slowly" might be 4 to 6 quality levels.

honestly don't know why I should've mined any more than I have, and I'm already in the BIS items. But to take it as "I don't use either" is a little misleading. Mislead?

I said "... you don't really use the shovel". I am not an english native speaker, but I am fairly sure that sentence means "using a shovel very seldom" not "you don't ever use a shovel".

Now my gaming group is actually shoveling those resource blocks in POIs, and our miner is shoveling for clay from time to time. And naturally the pickaxe is much in use for mining. We collect a lot of resources because we don't build some minimal piece of structure like you. But we also don't build as big as some of the bases that were posted here in the forum. And I would say even those are dwarfed by whatever RipClaw builds. Now that makes you and RipClaw the extremes and my group somewhere in the middle, though we don't know the distribution of players in each group. But ...

With the current meta, I don't think I'm Meant to use them, but I still do, some.

I know that Madmole is somewhere near my group, at least when he showed the bases of his playthroughs. If he didn't completely change his taste and still is the one to define the meta, then you likely misinterpreted the meta.  

TFP updated the game from some 100 block shapes (?) in A16 to now 1000 or 2000. They surely did all this work just to give you a glimpse of a really big useless menue while you select the shape for the horde fence, right?

I dunno man, do you disagree with something in my assessment, or did you just decide I haven't seen a pick and thus have no idea what I'm talking about?

Yes, I definitely disagree. I don't think you are a typical case. You are a veteran player and probably a very good shooter player and you have already optimized your game down to essentials. Many players of 7D2D are not, and they probably don't just use a horde fence for the first 4 horde nights.

I asked a friend how kage and jawoodle play, and he told me jawoodle is a talented builder building complex and interesting stuff (though he uses the POI designer or creative menu for building, so he saves himself the resource gathering). That doesn't sound like someone who would use a minimal base on horde night. And how he plays on video definitely doesn't sound like how a normal player would play 7D2D either.

meganoth

meganoth

talk about me as an example, as I know of nothing else. I can't say I know even that all too well, but we use what we have. For what comparison I can see, I don't differ that much from the couple youtubers I follow (Kage848, JaWoodle), that's about it. My point was not to tell you I don't use either, I wouldn't have bothered. The shovel comment was a joke: "shoveling that much" = you'd have to make the first tiers of shovel take 19 hits on topsoil to reduce the number of swings by one per "tier of shovel". Nineteen! That makes digging for the 50 needed for the forge sound like a chore already.

I just reread that post again to be sure: It postulates that you need to make each quality step down would need either one more swing or half of that at least to be noticable. I explained why I disagree. Will there be people who don't notice it? Probably. You probably among them as you use the shovel for about 50 clay as you say. But I am sure there will be lots of people noticing it around prominent points where for example two hits turn into one hit slowly. And that "slowly" might be 4 to 6 quality levels.

honestly don't know why I should've mined any more than I have, and I'm already in the BIS items. But to take it as "I don't use either" is a little misleading. Mislead?

I said "... you don't really use the shovel". I am not an english native speaker, but I am fairly sure that sentence means "using a shovel very seldom" not "you don't ever use a shovel".

Now my gaming group is actually shoveling those resource blocks in POIs, and our miner is shoveling for clay from time to time. And naturally the pickaxe is much in use for mining. We collect a lot of resources because we don't build some minimal piece of structure like you. But we also don't build as big as some of the bases that were posted here in the forum. And I would say even those are dwarfed by whatever RipClaw builds. Now that makes you and RipClaw the extremes and my group somewhere in the middle, though we don't know the distribution of players in each group. But ...

With the current meta, I don't think I'm Meant to use them, but I still do, some.

I know that Madmole is somewhere near my group, at least when he showed the bases of his playthroughs. If he didn't completely change his taste and still is the one to define the meta, then you likely misinterpreted the meta.  

TFP updated the game from some 100 block shapes (?) in A16 to now 1000 or 2000. They surely did all this work just to give you a glimpse of a really big useless menue while you select the shape for the horde fence, right?

I dunno man, do you disagree with something in my assessment, or did you just decide I haven't seen a pick and thus have no idea what I'm talking about?

Yes, I definitely disagree. I don't think you are a typical case. You are a veteran player and probably a very good shooter player and you have already optimized your game down to essentials. Many players of 7D2D are not, and they probably don't just use a horde fence for the first 4 horde nights. 

meganoth

meganoth

2 hours ago, theFlu said:

Yes, I definitely disagree. I don't think you are a typical case. You are a veteran player and probably a very good shooter player. Many players of 7D2D are not, and they probably don't just use a horde fence for the first 4 horde nights.