Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

3 hours ago, RipClaw said:

My playstyle is as normal as everyone else's. Everyone says their playstyle is normal. So "normal" is meaningless in this context.

With "Normal" in this context I meant that the person is doing enough looting to be able to replace his tools once in a while. And I meant the person has a resource demand that does not need him to mine every night of the week. Probably that is the normal player TFP is targeting with their balancing.

I think when you have to repair your primary weapon multiple times over the course of a horde night then 10-15 repairs from Q6 to broken are not really that much. Or did you mean 10-15 repairs per quality level ?

Possibly. If it were 20 repairs or more I wouldn#t be surprised. At the moment repairs are easy enough that I don't register them and can't say how many times I have to repair a weapon in a horde night or a tool in a night of mining. All up for playtesting. The only thing I am almost sure about is that 100 seems a number where nobody could tell the difference between having degradation and having no degradation.

If playtesting shows that many players get into trouble getting enough parts because they replace their degrading weapon much earlier than expected then durability in the higher qualities could be increased, or the availability of parts increased, or higher qualities could have less chance to degrade a step and lower qualities a higher chance. All part of the balancing.

But what would definitely happen is that someone would mod out the item degradation. In every game that had item degradation, there were either strategies to get around it or a mod to remove it from the game.

You could put this sentence under almost any change TFP has ever made. May I remind you that there have even been mods to bring back sticks. And I don't know if a crafting grid mod exists, but a few days ago someone bitterly lamented the removal of that. I would even say it is an argument FOR adding degradation because there will surely be a mod for everyone who can't stand it.

3 hours ago, theFlu said:

I don't even mine that much, but I'd rather not be guessing the whole time. I'd probably trade ever being able to one-shot anything to having it be constant... :)

My gut feeling is I would not mind this uncertainty, but like you I am not sure. So I would expect both of us to try it out before reaching a final opinion 😉.

I mean, wouldn't it be nice to actually have an advantage if you should find a shovel 3 qualities higher? Instead of like it is now where there are about 2-3 shovel qualities (over all tiers) that make a difference and everything inbetween doesn't matter at all?

meganoth

meganoth

My playstyle is as normal as everyone else's. Everyone says their playstyle is normal. So "normal" is meaningless in this context.

With "Normal" in this context I meant that the person is doing enough looting to be able to replace his tools once in a while. And I meant the person has a resource demand that does not need him to mine every night of the week. Probably that is the normal player TFP is targeting with their balancing.

I think when you have to repair your primary weapon multiple times over the course of a horde night then 10-15 repairs from Q6 to broken are not really that much. Or did you mean 10-15 repairs per quality level ?

Possibly. If it were 20 repairs or more I wouldn#t be surprised. At the moment repairs are easy enough that I don't register them and can't say how many times I have to repair a weapon in a horde night or a tool in a night of mining. All up for playtesting. The only thing I am almost sure about is that 100 seems a number where nobody could tell the difference between having degradation and having no degradation.

If playtesting shows that many players get into trouble getting enough parts because they replace their degrading weapon much earlier than expected then durability in the higher qualities could be increased, or the availability of parts increased, or higher qualities could have less chance to degrade a step and lower qualities a higher chance. All part of the balancing.

But what would definitely happen is that someone would mod out the item degradation. In every game that had item degradation, there were either strategies to get around it or a mod to remove it from the game.

You could put this sentence under almost any change TFP has ever made. May I remind you that there have even been mods to bring back sticks. And I don't know if a crafting grid mod exists, but a few days ago someone bitterly lamented the removal of that. I would even say it is an argument FOR adding degradation because there will surely be a mod for everyone who can't stand it.

3 hours ago, theFlu said:

I don't even mine that much, but I'd rather not be guessing the whole time. I'd probably trade ever being able to one-shot anything to having it be constant... :)

My gut feeling is I would not mind this uncertainty, but like you I am not sure. So I would expect both of us to try it out before reaching a final opinion 😉.

I mean, wouldn't it be nice to actually have an advantage if you should find a shovel 3 qualities higher? Instead of like it is now where there are about 2-3 shovel qualities that make a difference and everything inbetween doesn't matter at all?