Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Riamus

Riamus

26 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Wait. You are telling us it´s impossible for the game to know what my crafting skill is? How? It might be a challenge to code it right, but as the game does very well know what my crafting skills are (i mean how else would the game know what i am able to craft and what is still locked?), i am sure it is possible to make a link with the trader rewards/inventory and loot pool. Maybe too much work, but possible for sure.

I noticed the wording on that as well but I'm sure they just mean the game doesn't look at your crafting skill and only looks at the various factors that are used to determine quest rewards and trader inventory.  And it really shouldn't look at your crafting skill.  If someone has no interest in crafting and just sells all the magazines they find, they shouldn't be penalized from quest rewards or trader inventory just because they have no crafting skills.  This would break a play style, which is one of the things people are always upset about.

Regarding the other posts here, I think balancing can be done fairly well in terms of slowing down progression through loot, quest rewards and trader inventory even if it's not really possible to balance magazines so they progress at the same rate regardless of number of players.  It just needs more work to get to a good place.  I will say that loot is already reduced a lot from A20 even if you can get a lucky drop, which isn't a bad thing.  Yes, you can still get much better gear in the snow or wasteland biomes but that's intended and isn't likely to change.  If you want to loot there and progress faster, that's up to the player and the game shouldn't have to prevent that.  Again, it breaks a play style.

The big issue is that almost anything they do will break a play style.  People play this in so many different ways that there just isn't any easy way to make changes that won't impact someone's play style either positively or negatively.  They need to look at what will work for the most players (based on Game Sparks info not forum posts) and will still fall in line with the direction they want for the game.  Unfortunately, anything they do will cause issues for certain people.  One of the downsides of playing early access and developing a play style before the game is completed.

Also, bear in mind that in A20, crafting wasn't used by people too often except for specific things like vehicles so saying you progress faster in looting, quest rewards and trader inventory isn't anything new in A21; it is just more obvious because the magazines are making it so people want to craft when they didn't before.  Clothing, weapons, tools, armor were not usually crafted by people because it was so easy to loot it, buy it, or get it from quest rewards.  The magazines got people interested in crafting where many were not in A20.  However, it suffers from the same situation of balance.  I'd say it is better balanced as I actually will craft things sometimes that I had never crafted in A20, mostly because loot levels were decreased.  But it still has more balancing needed because it is still too slow a progression compared to the other options in most cases.  The other problem is the costs in duct tape for crafting stuff in A21 is way too high and so there's less incentive to bother crafting those things.  It's almost worse than crafting in A20 because of that.

Riamus

Riamus

10 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Wait. You are telling us it´s impossible for the game to know what my crafting skill is? How? It might be a challenge to code it right, but as the game does very well know what my crafting skills are (i mean how else would the game know what i am able to craft and what is still locked?), i am sure it is possible to make a link with the trader rewards/inventory and loot pool. Maybe too much work, but possible for sure.

I noticed the wording on that as well but I'm sure they just mean the game doesn't look at your crafting skill and only looks at the various factors that are used to determine quest rewards and trader inventory.  And it really shouldn't look at your crafting skill.  If someone has no interest in crafting and just sells all the magazines they find, they shouldn't be penalized from quest rewards or trader inventory just because they have no crafting skills.  This would break a play style, which is one of the things people are always upset about.

Regarding the other posts here, I think balancing can be done fairly well in terms of slowing down progression through loot, quest rewards and trader inventory even if it's not really possible to balance magazines so they progress at the same rate regardless of number of players.  It just needs more work to get to a good place.  I will say that loot is already reduced a lot from A20 even if you can get a lucky drop, which isn't a bad thing.  Yes, you can still get much better gear in the snow or wasteland biomes but that's intended and isn't likely to change.  If you want to loot there and progress faster, that's up to the player and the game shouldn't have to prevent that.  Again, it breaks a play style.

The big issue is that almost anything they do will break a play style.  People play this in so many different ways that there just isn't any easy way to make changes that won't impact someone's play style either positively or negatively.  They need to look at what will work for the most players (based on Game Sparks info not forum posts) and will still fall in line with the direction they want for the game.  Unfortunately, anything they do will cause issues for certain people.  One of the downsides of playing early access and developing a play style before the game is completed.

Also, bear in mind that in A20, crafting wasn't used by people too often except for specific things like vehicles.  Clothing, weapons, tools, armor were not usually crafted by people because it was so easy to loot it, buy it, or get it from quest rewards.  The magazines got people interested in crafting where many were not in A20.  However, it suffers from the same situation of balance.  I'd say it is better balanced as I actually will craft things sometimes that I had never crafted in A20, mostly because loot levels were decreased.  But it still has more balancing needed because it is still too slow a progression compared to the other options in most cases.  The other problem is the costs in duct tape for crafting stuff in A21 is way too high and so there's less incentive to bother crafting those things.  It's almost worse than crafting in A20 because of that.