Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Riamus

Riamus

6 hours ago, Scyris said:

Alright I been experimenting generating worlds and i've noticed a few things. Also have noticed some issues.

1: Why do all towns seem to have the same layout? Yes some of the poi's are different but they often always have the same shape.

2: There is a severe problem with repeating poi's, I've genned several maps where there was literally 4 of the same farm poi all side by side.

3: Its nice that you spawn usually within 500m to a trader, but there is a problem I been noticing, sometimes you spawn by one in the middle of no where that only has 1 poi nearby with no town within 1-2 KM of it, this is a real rough start for a new player. Maybe fix it so the player always starts within 500m of the biggest town in the forest biome if that can be done?

4: Why was the trader tags changed? A20 had such nice trader spawns, the ones in A21 kinda suck when they are buried in the town surrounded by poi's, I don't know about others but I usually like to build a base near the trader and this really screws with that when its surrounded by poi's all all sides. It seems to mostly be an issue in large towns, the small ones its always on the outskirts simmlar to A20.

5: This is a wish but when/if 7dtd gets a story can we get to kill trader rekt at some point? I am sure many players would love to be able to do this. I hate that guy many players do.

You see when I gen a map I look for a few things, I like to start in a big town, with any trader but rekt in the forest, and in A21 I also like to be able to base close to it. This results in me having to sometimes generate 15+ maps before I manage to get this, never had this issue in A20, I blame the new trader tags that changed its position in A21. Currently trying to start a new game and am on map gen number 16 as I still haven't managed to get what I was looking for. Yeah its kinda a "me" problem here, A20 kinda spoiled me how perfect it almost always was.

1. Definitely can use improvement here.

2. POI have a new DuplicateRepeatDistance value that will prevent the same POI from being within that distance of one another.  It's possible this isn't added to all POI.  It would be a very easy change if you are seeing some POI next to themselves.  Just add this line with a value of whatever you think is good.  Very easy thing to change.  I don't know if they are purposefully only adding this to certain POI or if it's supposed to be on all POI.  If you were to look at a bunch of POI and they all have that except a few, then it's likely a mistake and if you let them know the POI, they will probably get that property added to those POI.

3.  I've brought this up as well.  I think the starter trader should always be attached to a town and not be one of the wilderness traders.

4. I like that traders aren't always in the same location every time.  It just got boring to see the same layout on every town's entrance.  You mentioned that towns all look the same and having the traders all at the entrance with the same tile was just more of that.  This gives more variety and I like that.  I haven't noticed traders that aren't on the edge of town.  I would have thought they'd generate only in outskirt areas (the tiles on the edge of town) but that may not be the case.  It may also just seem like they are not on the edge of town because they can be spawned on an inner edge of the tile rather than the outer edge of the tile.  I'm not sure.  I'm not really opposed to them being in the middle of town but I don't think they should be in certain districts like commercial or industrial or downtown.  I don't know if they are or not as I haven't done more than a couple RWG maps so far.  Maybe it just needs a little tweaking.

5. Yeah, I can't stand Rekt.  ;)

Riamus

Riamus

Alright I been experimenting generating worlds and i've noticed a few things. Also have noticed some issues.

1: Why do all towns seem to have the same layout? Yes some of the poi's are different but they often always have the same shape.

2: There is a severe problem with repeating poi's, I've genned several maps where there was literally 4 of the same farm poi all side by side.

3: Its nice that you spawn usually within 500m to a trader, but there is a problem I been noticing, sometimes you spawn by one in the middle of no where that only has 1 poi nearby with no town within 1-2 KM of it, this is a real rough start for a new player. Maybe fix it so the player always starts within 500m of the biggest town in the forest biome if that can be done?

4: Why was the trader tags changed? A20 had such nice trader spawns, the ones in A21 kinda suck when they are buried in the town surrounded by poi's, I don't know about others but I usually like to build a base near the trader and this really screws with that when its surrounded by poi's all all sides. It seems to mostly be an issue in large towns, the small ones its always on the outskirts simmlar to A20.

5: This is a wish but when/if 7dtd gets a story can we get to kill trader rekt at some point? I am sure many players would love to be able to do this. I hate that guy many players do.

You see when I gen a map I look for a few things, I like to start in a big town, with any trader but rekt in the forest, and in A21 I also like to be able to base close to it. This results in me having to sometimes generate 15+ maps before I manage to get this, never had this issue in A20, I blame the new trader tags that changed its position in A21. Currently trying to start a new game and am on map gen number 16 as I still haven't managed to get what I was looking for. Yeah its kinda a "me" problem here, A20 kinda spoiled me how perfect it almost always was.

2. POI have a new DuplicateRepeatDistance value that will prevent the same POI from being within that distance of one another.  It's possible this isn't added to all POI.  It would be a very easy change if you are seeing some POI next to themselves.  Just add this line with a value of whatever you think is good.  Very easy thing to change.  I don't know if they are purposefully only adding this to certain POI or if it's supposed to be on all POI.  If you were to look at a bunch of POI and they all have that except a few, then it's likely a mistake and if you let them know the POI, they will probably get that property added to those POI.

3.  I've brought this up as well.  I think the starter trader should always be attached to a town and not be one of the wilderness traders.

4. I like that traders aren't always in the same location every time.  It just got boring to see the same layout on every town's entrance.  You mentioned that towns all look the same and having the traders all at the entrance with the same tile was just more of that.  This gives more variety and I like that.  I haven't noticed traders that aren't on the edge of town.  I would have thought they'd generate only in outskirt areas (the tiles on the edge of town) but that may not be the case.  I'm not really opposed to them being in the middle of town but I don't think they should be in certain districts like commercial or industrial or downtown.  I don't know if they are or not as I haven't done more than a couple RWG maps so far.  Maybe it just needs a little tweaking.

Riamus

Riamus

4. I like that traders aren't always in the same location every time.  It just go boring to see the same layout on every town's entrance.  You mentioned that towns all look the same and having the traders all at the entrance with the same tile was just more of that.  This gives more variety and I like that.  I haven't noticed traders that aren't on the edge of town.  I would have thought they'd generate only in outskirt areas (the tiles on the edge of town) but that may not be the case.  I'm not really opposed to them being in the middle of town but I don't think they should be in certain districts like commercial or industrial or downtown.  I don't know if they are or not as I haven't done more than a couple RWG maps so far.  Maybe it just needs a little tweaking.