Iron Tipped Arrows For Increased Damage?

Wyze

[QUOTE=Wyrmholez;130855]and/or durability, It would be nice for a 50% recovery rate from either a perk or just an innate chance with a better type of bolt.[/QUOTE] Yes! I like the way you think. And for that matter maybe we could upgrade our crossbows with scrap iron for a faster firing rate / reload?

I am all for upgrading the crossbow. Bolts are so easy to make though, that I would just not pick them up off of the zeds. A damage upgrade would be almost pointless as well as they 1-2 shot most zeds now, but you could buff the damage for use against bloated and cop zeds. Or, you could have it so that the metal bolts penetrate through multiple (2-3) zeds. That way you line them up for ideal shots. An upgrade I would like to see would be a crank system with a gravity fed "magazine". Turning the crank would fire the cbow, pull the string back to ready position, allow 1 bolt to drop in, and fire again. A simple system like this would not be hard to make, but would require Iron and possibly a skill book and forge mold, to make it fair. With an upgrade like this, you could have a cbow that is automatic to deal with groups of zeds, but the gravity feed would have to be reloaded after 7-10 shots and the rate of fire would be slightly faster than normal but without being crazy fast. As the SMG is almost impossible to find now, this would be a nice upgrade path for the cbow.

I don't expect to be able to make this but I'd be more than happy to have a chance at finding carbon fiber crossbow parts and contructing a superior version. Frame, Bow, String, & Trigger Assembly. I like the penetration aspect, though I personally would only really get any use out of it during a day-time horde.

[QUOTE=Wyrmholez;130870]I don't expect to be able to make this but I'd be more than happy to have a chance at finding carbon fiber crossbow parts and contructing a superior version. Frame, Bow, String, & Trigger Assembly. I like the penetration aspect, though I personally would only really get any use out of it during a day-time horde.[/QUOTE] Well, in the dev diary, they mentioned that they were going to expand bow features in the future. I would fully expect higher tier bows and crossbows to become available.

Kinda pointless atm since an arrow can 1-2 shot most any zombie on any difficulty to the head and main reason you run out is because you run out of feathers. It'd be more important to be able to turn metal strips into arrow stabilzers.

[QUOTE=Vinyl;130877]Kinda pointless atm since an arrow can 1-2 shot most any zombie on any difficulty to the head and main reason you run out is because you run out of feathers. It'd be more important to be able to turn metal strips into arrow stabilzers.[/QUOTE] Yeah, there are several potential replacements for feathers. Sticks and stones are way more common than feathers usually are, especially if you break very many of the bolders at all. Dried leather could be cut into fletching for arrows. Also, I would think plant fibers could be fashioned into fletching. Really, anything that could be made stiff enough and be attached to an arrow reliably could be used for this purpose. Even paper folded up so it is stiff could be used for this. Fletching for modern arrows is just a strip of rubber, or a synthetic feather type material. Which gives me another idea, make tires a lootable item from cars, from which you could craft rubber strips for arrow fletching. I would also like to see small stones make multiple sharp stones. Given the visual size of the small rocks in game, a careful player that knew what he was doing could fashion several, (4-6) arrowheads from one rock. Also, as stone tips were fashioned from shards of stone, you would naturally expect to get several even from a small rock. Even if you compare the visual size of the arrowhead to that of your average stone there is quite a difference in the amount of material. Either that, or we are supposed to be firing bolts with fist sized chunks or rock on the tip :P Although that might explain the high damage from bolts lol

You don't need multi for small rocks, mining surface resource stones or stones themselves gives you tons. The thing about adding common replacements for feathers is the xbow than has no drawback compared to the hunting rifle. Since it kills about the same or better + makes no noise.

[QUOTE=Vinyl;130884]You don't need multi for small rocks, mining surface resource stones or stones themselves gives you tons. The thing about adding common replacements for feathers is the xbow than has no drawback compared to the hunting rifle. Since it kills about the same or better + makes no noise.[/QUOTE] About the rocks, I was just speaking realistically. Just giving my opinion on how a feature should work. I realize that stones are super plentiful. Sure the cross bow is a great weapon. It works great when the zeds do not know you are there, but can be a pain to use if several zeds are after you at once, (Same as hunting rifle I agree). That doesn't really justify making bolts harder to make when in reality you could fashion crude bolts from just about anything (people in prison have made functioning paper crossbows that used pencils or sharpened silverware as ammo). The cross bow is mainly a weapon for dealing with unaware zombies or the stray zed or two that happens to notice you. We were just talking about some upgrades we would like to see for this weapon to make it slightly more useful in different situations. If it is the ease of crafting that bugs you, simply add a skill book that teaches you the different ways to make arrows, or to get more sharp stones from a single rock.

Archived