Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
khzmusik

khzmusik

On 3/2/2024 at 12:29 PM, junrall said:

Hi khzmusik,

Mostly Dead looks very interesting and am wanting to give it a go!

I do have a couple of questions:

How well will this work with overhaul mods like DF and RH (mostly interested in RH but do play both)

Is there a way to setup Mostly Dead so that your character resets after X amount of lives?

Thank you!

Hey, thanks for the interest. Hope you like it.

The mod contains custom C# code, but as far as I know, it is not code that involves anything used in any other mod. So, it should be compatible with Darkness Falls or Ravenhearst. Having said that, I have not tested it with any overhaul, and in general overhauls are not designed to be modded.

There is no way to set it up so that you start as a new character after X deaths. That's not even something I considered, and it kind of goes against the intent of the "Mostly Dead" playstyle.

Also - I don't know if you learned about the mod from the Evac series by More2Me 4Life (Liz). But, I've been watching that, and I learned that I was probably too generous with the starting items at low player levels. You might want to change that, by bumping up the levels in the "PlayerLevel" properties, in "buffResetPlayerOnDeath". That's in buffs.xml in the mod folder.

This is something I could do, but I'm actually in the middle of re-designing the mod completely. As you probably know, A21.2 introduced permadeath as a vanilla game option. My new plan is to modify that to do "Mostly Dead" instead.

The A21.2 version should not require custom C# code, so it should be EAC safe. (It will probably still have custom icons though, so won't be entirely server-side.)

I can't add a new death penalty setting, so the plan is to replace one of the the death penalty options with "Mostly Dead." That way players could still choose the death penalty setting, and the mod would be suitable for including in overhauls or mod packs.

The natural replacement would be "permadeath." But it could be one of the others: "nothing," "XP only" (the default), or "injured" (keep debuffs and respawn with 50% food/water). It might be worth it to replace one of those instead; that way, players could choose between "permadeath" and "Mostly Dead" with the mod installed. (Does anyone actually use "injured"?)

If any of you all have opinions about this, let me know. There are a lot of things about the new version that I'm in the air about.

EDIT: I have started working on the new "Mostly Dead" because the "survivor stories" is taking a very long time. I keep having ideas that make the stories longer and more complicated (so far it's up to about 500 lines of dialog). If you've been waiting for "Survivor Stories" then be prepared for a longer wait.

khzmusik

khzmusik

Hi khzmusik,

How well will this work with overhaul mods like DF and RH (mostly interested in RH but do play both)

Is there a way to setup Mostly Dead so that your character resets after X amount of lives?

Thank you!

The mod contains custom C# code, but as far as I know, it is not code that involves anything used in any other mod. So, it should be compatible with Darkness Falls or Ravenhearst. Having said that, I have not tested it with any overhaul, and in general overhauls are not designed to be modded.

There is no way to set it up so that you start as a new character after X deaths. That's not even something I considered, and it kind of goes against the intent of the "Mostly Dead" playstyle.

Also - I don't know if you learned about the mod from the Evac series by More2Me 4Life (Liz). But, I've been watching that, and I learned that I was probably too generous with the starting items at low player levels. You might want to change that, by bumping up the levels in the "PlayerLevel" properties, in "buffResetPlayerOnDeath". That's in buffs.xml in the mod folder.

This is something I could do, but I'm actually in the middle of re-designing the mod completely. As you probably know, A21.2 introduced permadeath as a vanilla game option. My new plan is to modify that to do "Mostly Dead" instead.

The A21.2 version should not require custom C# code, so it should be EAC safe. (It will probably still have custom icons though, so won't be entirely server-side.)

I can't add a new death penalty setting, so the plan is to replace one of the the death penalty options with "Mostly Dead." That way players could still choose the death penalty setting, and the mod would be suitable for including in overhauls or mod packs.

The natural replacement would be "permadeath." But it could be one of the others: "nothing," "XP only" (the default), or "injured" (keep debuffs and respawn with 50% food/water). It might be worth it to replace one of those instead; that way, players could choose between "permadeath" and "Mostly Dead" with the mod installed. (Does anyone actually use "injured"?)

If any of you all have opinions about this, let me know. There are a lot of things about the new version that I'm in the air about.

khzmusik

khzmusik

Hi khzmusik,

Thank you!

The natural replacement would be "permadeath," but it could be one of the others - "nothing," "XP only" (the default), or "injured" (keep debuffs and respawn with 50% food/water).