Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Krougal

Krougal

48 minutes ago, warmer said:

You are echoing what every music venue tells a band when they don't get paid. 

"You guys are getting paid in free exposure."

Exposure doesn't equal revenue ever. I have seen 1000 McDonalds commercials in the last year and that hasn't gotten me to spend a penny on them. That aside. Quite a few people watching already own the game, so you can't assume 1000 eyes balls on a stream = 1000 potential new buyers.

Not exactly the same thing. I mean for some "no-name" band that hasn't made it, playing in some @%$#hole dive bar, yeah sure.

Obviously you aren't going to get anybody big to go for that and certainly not in some big venue. Music on the radio would be a better example though.

You or I maybe won't, but other people will or McDs wouldn't spend the money for you to see 1000 commercials. I might be showing my age but back before cable, when all we had was broadcast TV, it was completely free to the end user (well you had to buy a TV obviously :P) because it was all paid for by advertising.

Now back to the Twitch and Youtube, because really you are just deflecting and doing "whataboutism" at this point. Where does the revenue from Twitch and Youtube come from? Advertising. So don't tell me it doesn't have a tangible cash value and that free advertising doesn't either. There are plenty of games I have tried because I went to look at say a base design tutorial, and that streamer does a lot of other games and one catches my eye and I watch and it looks fun.

We've already paid for a game. If you buy a saw and hammer and you use them to make furniture and sell them, should you have to pay the manufacturer a cut because you use their tools to provide some other goods or services?

Krougal

Krougal

37 minutes ago, warmer said:

You are echoing what every music venue tells a band when they don't get paid. 

"You guys are getting paid in free exposure."

Exposure doesn't equal revenue ever. I have seen 1000 McDonalds commercials in the last year and that hasn't gotten me to spend a penny on them. That aside. Quite a few people watching already own the game, so you can't assume 1000 eyes balls on a stream = 1000 potential new buyers.

Not exactly the same thing. I mean for some "no-name" band that hasn't made it, playing in some @%$#hole dive bar, yeah sure.

Obviously you aren't going to get anybody big to go for that and certainly not in some big venue. Music on the radio would be a better example though.

You or I maybe won't, but other people will or McDs wouldn't spend the money for you to see 1000 commercials. I might be showing my age but back before cable, when all we had was broadcast TV, it was completely free to the end user (well you had to buy a TV obviously :P) because it was all paid for by advertising.

Now back to the Twitch and Youtube, because really you are just deflecting and doing "whataboutism" at this point. Where does the revenue from Twitch and Youtube come from? Advertising. So don't tell me it doesn't have a tangible cash value and that free advertising doesn't either. There are plenty of games I have tried because I went to look at say a base design tutorial, and that streamer does a lot of other games and one catches my eye and I watch and it looks fun.

We've already paid for a game. If I buy a saw and hammer and I use them to make furniture and sell them, should I have to pay the manufacturer a cut because I use their tools to provide some other goods or services?