Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Roland

Roland

10 hours ago, Old Crow said:

It's more of a case of not having a way to gather and carry water in a realistic way anymore.

I think the "anymore" is the biggest issue really. There are many veterans who have made the switch in their brain and are not bothered by the inability to fill a container of water directly from a lake or river. New players seem to take the limitation in stride along with many of the other nonrealistic elements that are for the sake of gameplay. So really, the only problem comes from those veterans who can't get past the "anymore".

On the other hand, doing something so unrealistic doesn't make sense, and removing them and adding dew collectors didn't really fix the problem the Fun Pimps believed we were having. Water is just as easy to get as it was prior to the removal of jars, it's just easy in a different way now.

Gotta disagree here. If water is just as easy but just in a different way then I challenge you to get 54 jars of fresh water by day 2 in your different way....

I'm not sure what problem you believe TFP believed we were having but someone else said it best. Pre A21 nobody had to even think about water. Even Arez said that he was just playing and picking up jars as he went, found a cooking pot, and bam without any effort or thought put toward water he had 54 jars of drinkable water by day two. That sounds pretty typical of pre-A21 gameplay for most people. As of A21 you have to at least think about water. Even if you are looting enough to drink are you looting enough to also craft or are there times when you have to choose between crafting and drinking? That choice has appeared for me several times as of A21 when it NEVER happened once from A6 - A20. I'm betting it has been similar for most players. If you do choose to build dew collectors to supplement your water needs then once again you are actively thinking about your water needs and taking action to satisfy your needs. The process of building a dew collector might not be hard (especially for a veteran) but it does compete with other actions you feel you need to take during the early game.

So again, I'm not sure what you mean by "easy to get" but like I said, I doubt you could obtain 54 jars of fresh water by day 2 in A21 and I know that while not being a difficult challenge type of activity, building a dew collector does take more effort and time than passively scooping up 50+ jars while looting containers while clearing pois and then filling them all at once and sticking them on the fire to boil.

And on the third hand (which is my hand), TFP only seem to care about and add something realistic, if it's realism that is detrimental to the player. Beneficial realism? They're not so interested in it. That's what I find annoying about it.

Yeah, you seem to be in the camp of people who think there is some kind of adversarial attitude by the developers towards the players. You're welcome to your opinion but you couldn't be more wrong.

As for ignoring realism issues when they benefit the player what about unlimited carrying weight in our backpacks or being able to pick up vehicles into our backpacks and place them again or nerdpoling or having everlasting durability of our gear or never having to sleep, or crops grow in days without irrigation, or food never spoils, or upgrading blocks directly from one type to another, or crafting whole vehicles on a workbench, or crafting anything where it self crafts without you consciously doing anything and being able leave and do other things while waiting for the crafting to be done. 

Roland

Roland

It's more of a case of not having a way to gather and carry water in a realistic way anymore.

I think the "anymore" is the biggest issue really. There are many veterans who have made the switch in their brain and are not bothered by the inability to fill a container of water directly from a lake or river. New players seem to take the limitation in stride along with many of the other nonrealistic elements that are for the sake of gameplay. So really, the only problem comes from those veterans who can't get past the "anymore".

On the other hand, doing something so unrealistic doesn't make sense, and removing them and adding dew collectors didn't really fix the problem the Fun Pimps believed we were having. Water is just as easy to get as it was prior to the removal of jars, it's just easy in a different way now.

Gotta disagree here. If water is just as easy but just in a different way then I challenge you to get 54 jars of fresh water by day 2 in your different way....

I'm not sure what problem you believe TFP believed we were having but someone else said it best. Pre A21 nobody had to even think about water. Even Arez said that he was just playing and picking up jars as he went, found a cooking pot, and bam without any effort or thought put toward water he had 54 jars of drinkable water by day two. That sounds pretty typical of pre-A21 gameplay for most people. As of A21 you have to at least think about water. Even if you are looting enough to drink are you looting enough to also craft or are there times when you have to choose between crafting and drinking? That choice has appeared for me several times as of A21 when it NEVER happened once from A6 - A20. I'm betting it has been similar for most players. If you do choose to build dew collectors to supplement your water needs then once again you are actively thinking about your water needs and taking action to satisfy your needs. The process of building a dew collector might not be hard (especially for a veteran) but it does compete with other actions you feel you need to take during the early game.

So again, I'm not sure what you mean by "easy to get" but like I said, I doubt you could obtain 54 jars of fresh water by day 2 in A21 and I know that while not being a difficult challenge type of activity, building a dew collector does take more effort and time than passively scooping up 50+ jars while looting containers while clearing pois and then filling them all at once and sticking them on the fire to boil.

And on the third hand (which is my hand), TFP only seem to care about and add something realistic, if it's realism that is detrimental to the player. Beneficial realism? They're not so interested in it. That's what I find annoying about it.

Yeah, you seem to be in the camp of people who think there is some kind of adversarial attitude by the developers towards the players. You're welcome to your opinion but you couldn't be more wrong. How about the beneficial nonrealism of unlimited carrying weight in our backpacks or being able to pick up vehicles into our backpacks and place them again or nerdpoling or having everlasting durability of our gear or never having to sleep, or crops grow in days without irrigation, or food never spoils, or upgrading blocks directly from one type to another, or crafting whole vehicles on a workbench, or crafting anything where it self crafts without you consciously doing anything and being able leave and do other things while waiting for the crafting to be done, or….

Roland

Roland

9 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Yeah, you seem to be in the camp of people who think there is some kind of adversarial attitude by the developers towards the players. You're welcome to your opinion but you couldn't be more wrong. How about the beneficial nonrealism of unlimited carrying weight in our backpacks or being able to pick up vehicles into our backpacks and place them again or nerdpoling or having everlasting durability of our gear or never having to sleep, or...