Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Riamus

Riamus

25 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. My comment was not targeted at min/maxers, or any other player category.

It was aimed at the game and the developers.

They're still in the process of developing the game, true, but they're having difficulty in easing players into their own vision without artificially forcing them.

For water, as an example, if they can't get most players (or at least the "average player") to care about water for at least a few days early game, then they've failed.

Their vision, as I understand it, wasn't to impose limits to mining, so your example there is out of context in respect of what I meant.

Anyway, my comment is to say that the current system is an interesting step in the direction of survival, but it's not connected well (yet) with the other elements in the game.

Traders ar still OP, and can be easily exploited (again, not blaming the players here).

Looting, still give too much of the important stuff too easily, so it can be easily exploited.

The mining is still in context because you were talking about doing a lot of quests as being exploitive and yet that can simply be someone playing the part of the game they enjoy.  Suggesting that it's exploitive would kind of automatically mean you're talking about min/maxers as regular players aren't actually exploiting things and are just playing the game in general.  In the same way, someone who only mines isn't exploiting things either because they are just playing the part of the game that they enjoy even though they'll gain a ton of resources very quickly compared to those who play all parts of the game in a more balanced way.  It is the same thing and neither is exploitive.  You are intended to loot and the devs don't limit how much you can loot on purpose.  If you want to loot a lot, it isn't exploitive.

As to whether or not traders are OP (they are), it really isn't related to water scarcity.  Sure, you can buy drinks, and filters are from traders almost entirely, but there aren't enough drinks from traders alone (at least not normally) for it to really impact water scarcity in the early game and filters still require building dew collectors, which is what they wanted.  Looting (not talking about quest rewards as that's separate) isn't really a problem.  If you want to loot, there's no reason not to get stuff tied to your level.  Loot stage is based partly on your level and so your loot will generally be somewhere close to what you should be getting no matter how much you loot.  They should adjust things relating to harder biomes, but again, this is entirely separate from water scarcity.

And if you were to look at this in terms of a real survival game (or real world survival), what do you think you'd be doing if you had no resources, weapons, or armor?  You go scavenging for stuff.  And you'd keep scavenging until you have what you need.  You might stop to build some kind of defensive base area for the night, but you're going to regularly be out scavenging for stuff.  And you are going to find weapons, tools, armor and more by doing so.  Choosing to avoid looting or limiting it to a small amount is actually the opposite of what you should be doing.  That is just playing the game the way you want rather than as intended.  And there isn't anything wrong with that but there also isn't anything wrong with looting a lot either.  Yes, you will get upgraded in gear faster looting than if you craft in most cases.  That isn't an issue with looting.  That is an issue with crafting - magazines not dropping fast enough, for example.  But again, a separate issue from water scarcity.

Riamus

Riamus

23 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. My comment was not targeted at min/maxers, or any other player category.

They're still in the process of developing the game, true, but they're having difficulty in easing players into their own vision without artificially forcing them.

For water, as an example, if they can't get most players (or at least the "average player") to care about water for at least a few days early game, then they've failed.

Their vision, as I understand it, wasn't to impose limits to mining, so your example there is out of context in respect of what I meant.

Anyway, my comment is to say that the current system is an interesting step in the direction of survival, but it's not connected well (yet) with the other elements in the game.

Traders ar still OP, and can be easily exploited (again, not blaming the players here).

Looting, still give too much of the important stuff too easily, so it can be easily exploited.

The mining is still in context because you were talking about doing a lot of quests as being exploitive and yet that can simply be someone playing the part of the game they enjoy.  Suggesting that it's exploitive would kind of automatically mean you're talking about min/maxers as regular players aren't actually exploiting things and are just playing the game in general.  In the same way, someone who only mines isn't exploiting things either because they are just playing the part of the game that they enjoy even though they'll gain a ton of resources very quickly compared to those who play all parts of the game in a more balanced way.  It is the same thing and neither is exploitive.  You are intended to loot and the devs don't limit how much you can loot on purpose.  If you want to loot a lot, it isn't exploitive.

As to whether or not traders are OP (they are), it really isn't related to water scarcity.  Sure, you can buy drinks, and filters are from traders almost entirely, but there aren't enough drinks from traders alone (at least not normally) for it to really impact water scarcity in the early game and filters still require building dew collectors, which is what they wanted.  Looting (not talking about quest rewards as that's separate) isn't really a problem.  If you want to loot, there's no reason not to get stuff tied to your level.  Loot stage is based partly on your level and so your loot will generally be somewhere close to what you should be getting no matter how much you loot.  They should adjust things relating to harder biomes, but again, this is entirely separate from water scarcity.

And if you were to look at this in terms of a real survival game (or real world survival), what do you think you'd be doing if you had no resources, weapons, or armor?  You go scavenging for stuff.  And you'd keep scavenging until you have what you need.  You might stop to build some kind of defensive base area for the night, but you're going to regularly be out scavenging for stuff.  And you are going to find weapons, tools, armor and more by doing so.  Choosing to avoid looting or limiting it to a small amount is actually the opposite of what you should be doing.  That is just playing the game the way you want rather than as intended.  And there isn't anything wrong with that but there also isn't anything wrong with looting a lot either.  Yes, you will get upgraded in gear faster looting than if you craft in most cases.  That isn't an issue with looting.  That is an issue with crafting - magazines not dropping fast enough, for example.

Riamus

Riamus

23 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

As to whether or not traders are OP (they are), it really isn't related to water scarcity.  Sure, you can buy drinks, and filters are from traders almost entirely, but there isn't enough drinks from traders alone (at least not normally) for it to really impact water scarcity in the early game and filters still require building dew collectors, which is what they wanted.  Looting (not talking about quest rewards as that's separate) isn't really a problem.  If you want to loot, there's no reason not to get stuff tied to your level.  Loot stage is based partly on your level and so your loot will generally be somewhere close to what you should be getting no matter how much you loot.  They should adjust things relating to harder biomes, but again, this is entirely separate from water scarcity.

And if you were to look at this in terms of a real survival game (or real world survival), what do you think you'd be doing if you had no resources, weapons, or armor?  You go scavenging for stuff.  And you'd keep scavenging until you have what you need.  You might stop to build some kind of defensive base area for the night, but you're going to regularly be out scavenging for stuff.  And you are going to find weapons, tools, armor and more by doing so.  Choosing to avoid looting or limiting it to a small amount is actually the opposite of what you should be doing.  That is just playing the game the way you want rather than as intended.  And there isn't anything wrong with that but there also isn't anything wrong with looting a lot either.  Yes, you will get upgraded in gear faster looting than if you craft in most cases.  That isn't an issue with looting.  That is an issue with crafting - magazines not dropping fast enough, for example.

Riamus

Riamus

10 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

As to whether or not traders are OP (they are), it really isn't related to water scarcity.  Sure, you can buy drinks and filters are from traders almost entirely, but there isn't enough drinks from traders alone (at least not normally) for it to really impact water scarcity in the early game and filters still require building dew collectors, which is what they wanted.  Looting (not talking about quest rewards as that's separate) isn't really a problem.  If you want to loot, there's no reason not to get stuff tied to your level.  Loot stage is based partly on your level and so your loot will generally be somewhere close to what you should be getting no matter how much you loot.  They should adjust things relating to harder biomes, but again, this is entirely separate from water scarcity.