Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Riamus

Riamus

7 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

As long as you stay near the water source, that's exactly what I intended. It would work exactly like in A20.

But if you stock up with hundreds of murky water jars that you get from the nearby water source, and then travel to an area far away where there's no water source available (e.g.: in the desert), you risk finding yourself with hundreds of empty jars once you get there.

That's a good point I didn't think of... but they could introduce a better bottling recipe for mid-game, where liquids won't evaporate enymore if you use (e.g.) a "sealed jar".

It does. As long as you can't get far from water sources without risking drinks to evaporate, it will make lakes, ponds and rivers logistically significant again.

At least, until you setup a base with dew collectors.

But for all this to work, they need to make dew collectors more difficult to craft or its components more rare.

Right.  Maybe you meant something different when saying it would work perfectly.  As you said, it would work like in A20, which means it would not offer any sort of increased difficulty with water, which was their goal.  That's what I meant about disagreeing.  It wouldn't have done what they wanted it to do.  All it would really do is make water sources more immersive.  That isn't a bad thing by any means.  I just meant it wouldn't do what they were wanting to do.  Granted, as I said above, I don't really see any increase in difficulty getting water with the new system, so I don't think the new system actually does anything either but that's an entirely different conversation.  ;)

Also, something that causes liquids to evaporate means that if you play on a map without water sources nearby, it will be just a non-stop go loot a couple bottles of murky water, boil it and drink it.  Repeat the next time you need a drink, ad nauseum.  Not all maps have much water and not necessarily anywhere near where you start and you don't have a map showing where it is, so trying to run around looking for it just wastes the water you do have.  Admittedly, water on tiles seems to be a lot better in A21, so perhaps that isn't such an issue as it would have been in A20.  But it's still a consideration.  I don't disagree about the immersive benefits, just that this doesn't help make water more challenging if you have any water nearby and just adds a headache challenge rather than actual challenge when trying to deal with water when you don't have a water source, as well as "working the system" by using your water immediately instead of holding it until you need it.

Riamus

Riamus

7 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

As long as you stay near the water source, that's exactly what I intended. It would work exactly like in A20.

But if you stock up with hundreds of murky water jars that you get from the nearby water source, and then travel to an area far away where there's no water source available (e.g.: in the desert), you risk finding yourself with hundreds of empty jars once you get there.

That's a good point I didn't think of... but they could introduce a better bottling recipe for mid-game, where liquids won't evaporate enymore if you use (e.g.) a "sealed jar".

It does. As long as you can't get far from water sources without risking drinks to evaporate, it will make lakes, ponds and rivers logistically significant again.

At least, until you setup a base with dew collectors.

But for all this to work, they need to make dew collectors more difficult to craft or its components more rare.

Right.  Maybe you meant something different when saying it would work perfectly.  As you said, it would work like in A20, which means it would not offer any sort of increased difficulty with water, which was their goal.  That's what I meant about disagreeing.  It wouldn't have done what they wanted it to do.  All it would really do is make water sources more immersive.  That isn't a bad thing by any means.  I just meant it wouldn't do what they were wanting to do.  Granted, as I said above, I don't really see any increase in difficulty getting water with the new system, so I don't think the new system actually does anything either but that's an entirely different conversation.  ;)