Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
zztong

zztong

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Water survival should get solved during the course of the game and it shouldn't be something the player must struggle with after a certain amount of time spent working to achieve self-reliance in that area.

The problem of an infinite water source and infinitely lasting reusable jars is that the snowball effect of that system means that water survival is solved on day one, with zero struggle or progression.

Okay, so I'm back to where I was.

There are no TFP long-term goals for water scarcity, so infinite water is irrelevant. Duct tape doesn't matter, or any other recipe, if I understand you correctly.

In Vanilla, water scarcity is solved on day 2-3 with maybe around 1 day of "drink murky water temptation" because the game starts you with 2 fresh water.

In my Modded game, water scarcity is solved day 1-2 with around 1 day of "drink murky water temptation" because you don't start with any water.

Neither presents more than a day of struggle or progression, unless you're a new player and need time to figure out recipes and understand the game. Water scarcity really puts them into an interesting bind.

But I'm into survival, so I prioritize food and water. You suggest it takes a week to solve water scarcity, so you're priorities are elsewhere. You must not buy a cooking pot before all else. I assume we're both doing quests, as that's how I'd find/afford a cooking pot. Quests are dropping murky water, which I'll be purifying. Are you just drinking murky water for a week until you get a bicycle, or something? I think we're playing the same length days (60 minutes).

Also, this infinite murky water still commits you to spending time purifying it plus the fuel and the resulting heat. By comparison, the Dew Collectors represent only an initial challenge to afford a filter and a source of heat. You effectively get infinite water once you have some number of Dew Collectors. For me, that number was around 3-4.

Honestly, I see very little difference.

For Dew Collectors, I harvest them daily (early game) or when I harvest the farm (late game) and put it in inventory (base or personal). They're constantly generating heat, which I like, but rarely get to enjoy because I don't tend to hang out at base.

For Murky Lake water, I harvest 10 water when I need it. Bring it back and put it on the camp fire with 6 wood. It will be waiting on me later. They're only generating heat when the fire is burning, which is something like 5 minutes.

This is why it doesn't matter to me if I play Vanilla or with Mods. The end effect is the same. It's just a matter of how you go about it in-game. The modded approach makes more sense to me, but the fun is the same.

zztong

zztong

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Water survival should get solved during the course of the game and it shouldn't be something the player must struggle with after a certain amount of time spent working to achieve self-reliance in that area.

The problem of an infinite water source and infinitely lasting reusable jars is that the snowball effect of that system means that water survival is solved on day one, with zero struggle or progression.

There are no TFP long-term goals for water scarcity, so infinite water is irrelevant. Duct tape doesn't matter, or any other recipe, if I understand you correctly.

In Vanilla, water scarcity is solved on day 2-3 with maybe around 1 day of "drink murky water temptation" because the game starts you with 2 fresh water.

In my Modded game, water scarcity is solved day 1-2 with around 1 day of "drink murky water temptation" because you don't start with any water.

Neither presents more than a day of struggle or progression, unless you're a new player and need time to figure out recipes and understand the game. Water scarcity really put them into an interesting bind.

But I'm into survival, so I prioritize food and water. You suggest it takes a week to solve water scarcity, so you're priorities are elsewhere. You must not buy a cooking pot before all else. I assume we're both doing quests, as that's how I'd find/afford a cooking pot. Quests are dropping murky water, which I'll be purifying. Are you just drinking murky water for a week until you get a bicycle, or something? I think we're playing the same length days (60 minutes).

Also, this infinite murky water still commits you to spending time purifying it plus the fuel and the resulting heat. By comparison, the Dew Collectors represent only an initial challenge to afford a filter and a source of heat. You effectively get infinite water once you have some number of Dew Collectors. For me, that number was around 3-4.

For Dew Collectors, I harvest them daily (early game) or when I harvest the farm (late game) and put it in inventory (base or personal). They're constantly generating heat, which I like, but rarely get to enjoy because I don't tend to hang out at base.

For Murky Lake water, I harvest 10 water when I need it. Bring it back and put it on the camp fire with 6 wood. It will be waiting on me later. They're only generating heat when the fire is burning, which is something like 5 minutes.

This is why it doesn't matter to me if I play Vanilla or with Mods. The end effect is the same. It's just a matter of how you go about it in-game. The modded approach makes more sense to me, but the fun is the same.

zztong

zztong

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Neither presents more than a day of struggle or progression.

zztong

zztong

1 hour ago, Roland said:

In Vanilla, water scarcity is solved on day 2-3 with around 1 day of "drink murky water temptation" because the game starts you with 2 fresh water.

zztong

zztong

44 minutes ago, Roland said:

In Vanilla, water scarcity is solved on day 2-3 with around 1 day of "drink murky water temptation" because the game starts you with 2 fresh water.

Okay, so there are no TFP long-term goals for water scarcity, so infinite water is irrelevant. Duct tape doesn't matter, or any other recipe, if I understand you correctly.