Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Krougal

Krougal

12 hours ago, meganoth said:

Which is essentially a "this is not realistic" argument. Thus it is strange that you seem to describe the other camp you are arguing against as the realists.

So I guess that wasn't a good term. We all expect a certain amount of realism.  A good sci-fi story gets 1 crazy concept. For this game it's zombies and then after that we expect everything to conform to realism.

It then is more like "anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone trying to drive faster than you is a maniac" when you're on the highway (maybe that doesn't happen on the Autobahn but it's a thing on the Interstate).

So I pump the brakes at not being able to use the river that I built my base next to, because I thought just like the real world, that would be a smart thing to do, because my people have been doing it for thousands of years. Some are going to also insist on you needing to provide some kind of container, although I am fine doing the handwave at it, because the pimps want to do away with empty containers. Others might consider it too much trouble to have to purify the water after collecting it, and want to handwave that away too. Personally I don't care either way about that. I am fine with boiling the water since it is a thing, otoh glue & stews, it could just be assumed that as part of the process of making these things, we boil the water and so don't need to do it twice.

The thing about water is it is kinda an all or nothing thing since no water == no life. It is either there and fairly abundant (because simple boiling makes water safe) and we don't overly concern ourselves with it, or it is not and obtaining it becomes a central theme to the story. There really isn't a lot of in between to work with.

Krougal

Krougal

Which is essentially a "this is not realistic" argument. Thus it is strange that you seem to describe the other camp you are arguing against as the realists.

So I guess that wasn't a good term. We all expect a certain amount of realism.  A good sci-fi story gets 1 crazy concept. For this game it's zombies and then after that we expect everything to conform to realism.

It then is more like "anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone trying to drive faster than you is a maniac" when you're on the highway (maybe that doesn't happen on the Autobahn but it's a thing on the Interstate).

So I pump the brakes at not being able to use the river that I built my base next to, because I thought just like the real world, that would be a smart thing to do, because my people have been doing it for thousands of years. Some are going to also insist on you needing to provide some kind of container, although I am fine doing the handwave at it, because the pimps want to do away with empty containers. Others might consider it too much trouble to have to purify the water after collecting it, and want to handwave that away too. Personally I don't care either way about that. I am fine with boiling the water since it is a thing, otoh glue & stews, it could just be assumed that as part of the process of making these things, we boil the water and so don't need to do it twice.

The thing about water is it is kinda an all or nothing thing since no water == no life. It is either there and fairly abundant (because simple boiling makes water safe) and we don't overly concern ourselves with it, or it is not and it becomes a central theme to the story. There really isn't a lot of in between to work with.

Krougal

Krougal

The thing about water is it is kinda an all or nothing thing since no water == no life. It is either there and fairly abundant (because simple boiling makes water safe) and we don't overly concern ourselves with it, or it is not and it becomes a central theme to the story. There really isn't a lot of in between to work with and once again, I will say I don't think it is worth the effort.

Krougal

Krougal