Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

10 hours ago, zztong said:

Having played both vanilla and with a home-grown mod to allow me to retrieve water from water sources, I don't think you have to complicate water processing unless you want to drag out the water shortage longer for both vanilla and mod'd games.

With Vanilla, the first day water shortage is offset by the two bottles of water that you start with in-game. The "drink murky water temptation" period experienced by players lasts another day. Around that time they bring water production online with a Dew Collector and/or a cooking pot that they can now (thankfully) buy at a trader if they haven't found one. The end result is possibly a 1-day period when you might drink murky water on Day 2.

Alternatively, I remove the two bottles of water (and the can of chili) that you start with on Day 1. Now the "drink murky water temptation" period starts on day 1 and it lasts until you get a cooking pot and/or a Dew Collector. With my mod, I can carry murky water away from a water source, but it is still murky water. You generally get stable sometime in Day 2 when you get a cooking pot. The end result is a 1-day period when you might drink murky water on Day 1.

suspect the effects of removing the two bottles of water on new players would be frustrating. They don't really know what resources they need and if they don't start with water they may not know what they need. I could see a game option for "New Start" or "Experienced Start" that changed the starting gear, but that is also just an easy modlet.

I acknowledge there are long term differences related to other recipes and the production of heat that I have not evaluates. As a person who generally welcomes heat (because it brings me experience), I still tend to make Dew Collectors even though I build near water sources.

If I understand your mod correctly then there is a vast difference to vanilla after day 2:

In vanilla you may have enough water to avoid drinking from a pond after 2 day, but you still don't have enough water for all demands and need to choose what to prioritize. Or even buy water to fiill those demands. Water still has value then, you generally won't throw away a water jar that you find. In your mod, as soon as you have the cooking pot then water is infinite.

In that case I would say your mod falls short of the goals TFP probably had.

5 hours ago, Krougal said:

It is silly that we can't gather and boil it

Which is essentially a "this is not realistic" argument. Thus it is strange that you seem to describe the other camp you are arguing against as the realists.

meganoth

meganoth

Having played both vanilla and with a home-grown mod to allow me to retrieve water from water sources, I don't think you have to complicate water processing unless you want to drag out the water shortage longer for both vanilla and mod'd games.

With Vanilla, the first day water shortage is offset by the two bottles of water that you start with in-game. The "drink murky water temptation" period experienced by players lasts another day. Around that time they bring water production online with a Dew Collector and/or a cooking pot that they can now (thankfully) buy at a trader if they haven't found one. The end result is possibly a 1-day period when you might drink murky water on Day 2.

Alternatively, I remove the two bottles of water (and the can of chili) that you start with on Day 1. Now the "drink murky water temptation" period starts on day 1 and it lasts until you get a cooking pot and/or a Dew Collector. With my mod, I can carry murky water away from a water source, but it is still murky water. You generally get stable sometime in Day 2 when you get a cooking pot. The end result is a 1-day period when you might drink murky water on Day 1.

suspect the effects of removing the two bottles of water on new players would be frustrating. They don't really know what resources they need and if they don't start with water they may not know what they need. I could see a game option for "New Start" or "Experienced Start" that changed the starting gear, but that is also just an easy modlet.

I acknowledge there are long term differences related to other recipes and the production of heat that I have not evaluates. As a person who generally welcomes heat (because it brings me experience), I still tend to make Dew Collectors even though I build near water sources.

If I understand your mod correctly then there is a vast difference to vanilla after day 2.

In vanilla you may have enough water to avoid drinking from a pond after 2 day, but you still don't have enough water for all demands and need to choose what to prioritize. Or even buy water to fiill those demands. Water still has value then, you generally won't throw away a water jar that you find. In your mod, as soon as you have the cooking pot then water is infinite. If yes, I would say your mod falls short of the goals TFP probably had.

Which is essentially a "this is not realistic" argument. Thus it is strange that you seem to describe the other camp you are arguing against as the realists.

meganoth

meganoth

If I understand your mod correctly then there is a vast difference to vanilla after day 2.

In vanilla you may have enough water to avoid drinking from a pond after 2 day, but you still don't have enough water for all demands and need to choose what to prioritize. Or even buy water to fiill those demands. Water still has value then, you generally won't throw away a water jar that you find. In your mod, as soon as you have the cooking pot then water is infinite.

meganoth

meganoth

Which is essentially a "not realistic" argument. Thus it is strange that you seem to describe the other camp you are arguing against as the realists.