Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

Again - it's not "Drama" - it's people voicing their opinions about how changes have been made to a game that they love that can have drastic effects on how they interact with the game - sometimes ruining their playstyle or how their group plays together

And if those people have been playing a playstyle that is outside of the scope of what TFP is balancing and testing, then that happens. And that is inevitable with a game where additional mechanics are added or experimentation still happens.

There was one person who needed the player character running as fast backward as forward for his "playstyle". When TFP changed that he was correct that it destroyed his "playstyle" but there never was a guarantee given that it would be in the game for all eternity.

If you can't change your habits or have no fun doing so, and if you are not willing to install mods, then a new alpha can result in this game being not for you anymore. Many do not accept that and some of them resort to drama.

Drama is if someone posts his disappointment for multiple alphas into the forum when it is clear the game is not going back to supporting his way of playing the game (not saying you do or did, just a general example). Drama is when someone claims that "TFP deliberatly destroyed my playstyle because they don't want me to have fun". No they don't do that deliberately, that just happens with "playstyles" that are not part of the design goals or balanced play style that TFP is going for. (Again, not saying you said that). Drama is when someone claims "There was no reason for this change" even after he gets told why the change happened (usual disclaimer, not you AFAIK).

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

As afr as TFP ignoring anything negative goes, no, they dont - they seem to ignore pretty much all feedback.

No system, no matter how heavily critiqued has ever been reverted - The attutude many long term suppoerters of this game are met with is "it's our game and you'll play it our way" - which they are quite entitled to do.

Yes, because TFP does not give you or anyone design rights. And no developer does. Not even modders do that. Please try to tell one of the modders that he should make some big change because his mod would be better that way and in almost all circumstances he will tell you where you can put your opinion. "Hey Khaine, your mod is excellent, but I don't like the LBD in it, please remove it". Don't think he will appreciate my suggestion. And even if 20 forum users demand the same he will not budge. 

What you seem to be ignoring completely is that all heavily critiizised systems also had a lot of positive feedback for them. We had lots and lots of controversial changes but never one where the forum was of one opinion.  And often even many critics have changed their opinion later after some balancing happened.

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

Harsh resopnese from TFP staff don't exectly help - it just shows an attitude - and it's an unnecessary one.

I just see the same stuff over and over, "Vocal minority, Drama, Negative, Wrong Imprression, Premature, Fix it with mods"

Simply fact is that an awful lot of people think that TFP drop the ball on occasion - and I think it's ok to point that out.

It is. And TFP corrects those dropped balls by hammering on that ball until it fits. That is their right. They can decide HOW to fix the problems.

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

Same with the development of the game - mention 10 years in EA and you get "oh here we go again - drama"

Go ask around - people that work in the industry - ask if they think - and I choose my words very carefully here, that a game of this scope should have taken 10 years to dev - NONE of them will agree.

Mention that in these forums though and you'll meet the same tidal wave of "TFP can do no wrong"

Well they can, and they do.

Well the development time is simply a dead horse flogging topic. Many users are even happy about getting a new game every year, including me.

Nobody mentioning the 10 years brings something new to the table. It is just senselessly repeating the same old fact. So what? It is what it is. And many like it that way.

If development is too slow for a game of that scope then maybe MM didn't order enough crunch time, or they all are too slow. Doesn't matter, this won't be changed for your pleasure, that is an internal issue TFP has to decide over or deal with. You are not on the board of directors. 

I as a player think they have done everything right, because I still have fun playing this game, after 5 years of alphas, and that is at least as unusual as you think the 10 years are. I bought lots of other games that were probably developed in less time and they were $/%§%, some subjectively some even objectively.

meganoth

meganoth

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

Again - it's not "Drama" - it's people voicing their opinions about how changes have been made to a game that they love that can have drastic effects on how they interact with the game - sometimes ruining their playstyle or how their group plays together

And if those people have been playing a playstyle that is outside of the scope of what TFP is balancing and testing, then that happens. And that is inevitable with a game where additional mechanics are added or experimentation still happens.

There was one person who needed the player character running as fast backward as forward for his "playstyle". When TFP changed that he was correct that it destroyed his "playstyle" but there never was a guarantee given that it would be in the game for all eternity.

If you can't change your habits or have no fun doing so, and if you are not willing to install mods, then a new alpha can result in this game being not for you anymore. Many do not accept that and some of them resort to drama.

Drama is if someone posts his disappointment for multiple alphas into the forum when it is clear the game is not going back to supporting his way of playing the game (not saying you do or did, just a general example). Drama is when someone claims that "TFP deliberatly destroyed my playstyle because they don't want me to have fun". No they don't do that deliberately, that just happens with "playstyles" that are not part of the design goals or balanced play style that TFP is going for. (Again, not saying you said that). Drama is when someone claims "There was no reason for this change" even after he gets told why the change happened (usual disclaimer, not you AFAIK).

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

As afr as TFP ignoring anything negative goes, no, they dont - they seem to ignore pretty much all feedback.

No system, no matter how heavily critiqued has ever been reverted - The attutude many long term suppoerters of this game are met with is "it's our game and you'll play it our way" - which they are quite entitled to do.

Yes, because TFP does not give you or anyone design rights. And no developer does. Not even modders do that. Please try to tell one of the modders that he should make some big change because his mod would be better that way and in almost all circumstances he will tell you where you can put your opinion. "Hey Khaine, your mod is excellent, but I don't like the LBD in it, please remove it". Don't think he will appreciate my suggestion. And even if 20 forum users demand the same he will not budge. 

What you seem to be ignoring completely is that all heavily critiizised systems also had a lot of positive feedback for them. We had lots and lots of controversial changes but never one where the forum was of one opinion.  And often even many critics have changed their opinion later after some balancing happened.

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

Harsh resopnese from TFP staff don't exectly help - it just shows an attitude - and it's an unnecessary one.

I just see the same stuff over and over, "Vocal minority, Drama, Negative, Wrong Imprression, Premature, Fix it with mods"

Simply fact is that an awful lot of people think that TFP drop the ball on occasion - and I think it's ok to point that out.

It is. And TFP corrects those dropped balls by hammering on that ball until it fits. That is their right. They can decide HOW to fix the problems.

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

Same with the development of the game - mention 10 years in EA and you get "oh here we go again - drama"

Go ask around - people that work in the industry - ask if they think - and I choose my words very carefully here, that a game of this scope should have taken 10 years to dev - NONE of them will agree.

Mention that in these forums though and you'll meet the same tidal wave of "TFP can do no wrong"

Well the development time is simply a dead horse flogging topic. Many users are even happy about getting a new game every year, including me.

Nobody mentioning the 10 years brings something new to the table. It is just senselessly repeating the same old fact. So what? It is what it is. And many like it that way.

If development is too slow for a game of that scope then maybe MM didn't order enough crunch time, or they all are too slow. Doesn't matter, this won't be changed for your pleasure, that is an internal issue TFP has to decide over or deal with. You are not on the board of directors. 

I as a player think they have done everything right, because I still have fun playing this game, after 5 years of alphas, and that is at least as unusual as you think the 10 years are. I bought many other games that were probably developed in less time and they were $/%§%, at least for my taste.

meganoth

meganoth

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

I as a player think they have done everything right, because I still have fun playing this game, after 5 years of alphas, and that is at least as unusual as you think the 10 years are. I bought many other games that were probably developed in only 4 years and were $/%§%, at least for my taste.

meganoth

meganoth

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

I as a player think they have done everything right, because I still have fun playing this game, after 5 years of alphas, and that is at least as unusual as you think the 10 years are.

meganoth

meganoth

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

If development is too slow for a game of that scope then maybe MM didn't order enough crunch time, or they all are too slow. Doesn't matter, this won't be changed for your pleasure, that is an internal issue TFP has to decide over or dela with. You are not on the board of directors. 

I as a player think they have done everything right, because I still have fun playing this game, after 5 years of alphas, and that is at least as unusual as you think the 10 years are.

meganoth

meganoth

59 minutes ago, Lasher said:

If development is too slow for a game of that scope then maybe MM didn't order enough crunch time, or they all are too slow. Doesn't matter, this won't be changed for your pleasure, that is an internal issue TFP has to decide over.  I as a player think they have done everything right, because I still have fun playing this game, after 5 years of alphas, and that is at least as unusual as you think the 10 years are.

meganoth

meganoth

2 minutes ago, Lasher said:

Drama is if someone posts his disappointment for multiple alphas into the forum when it is clear the game is not going back to supporting his way of playing the game (not saying you do or did, just a general example). Drama is when someone claims that "TFP deliberatly destroyed my playstyle because they don't want me to have fun". No they don't do that deliberately, that just happens with "playstyles" that are not part of the design goals or balanced play style that TFP is going for. (Again, not saying you said that). Drama is when someone claims "There was no reason for this change" even after he gets told why the change happened (usual disclaimer, not you).

If development is too slow for a game of that scope then maybe MM didn't order enough crunch time, or they all are too slow. Doesn't matter, this won't be changed for your pleasure, that is an internal issue TFP has to decide over.  I as a player think they have done everything right, because I still have fun playing this game, after 5 years of alphas, and that is at least as unusual as you think the 10 years are.