Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
BFT2020

BFT2020

On 8/3/2023 at 10:54 AM, SiliconPenguin said:

A simple question, mostly about terminology...  When you defined 3 categories of mods/modlets as follows:

1). XML Only Modlets (can be installed on servers with no client download).

2). XML + Assets Modlets (cannot be server only).

3). C# Modlets (cannot be server only, EAC must be off!!!)

Were you strictly referring to 'dedicated' servers? Or are you including multiplayer games served from a single player game as well? If I install any of the working mods from the first category into my mod directory, does it get automatically downloaded by players connecting to my game? Or do they need to download the mod themselves, and install it? I'm thinking the later, but can I get some clarification?

No he wasn’t 

yes

yes

no

To expand more on my brief response:

There is always a server involved when you play 7 days to die - Single Player (your machine is both the server and the client), someone is hosting a multiplayer game (the host is both the server and a client while everyone else connecting to the host is just a client), or using a dedicated server (the server is just the server while everyone connecting to the dedi server is a client).

Category 1 has to be installed on the server (your computer in SP, the host's computer, or the dedi).  Installing on all computers will not hurt anything as the server computer will override everyone else with the xml edits.

Category 2 has to be installed on all computers playing the game (server and clients) as the clients are using the local assets to place in game.

Category 3 has to be installed on all computers (and EAC off as mentioned by Khaine) as you are now using modified source code to play the game.  Clients use the source code on their computer to run the game at their end.

BFT2020

BFT2020

On 8/3/2023 at 10:54 AM, SiliconPenguin said:

A simple question, mostly about terminology...  When you defined 3 categories of mods/modlets as follows:

1). XML Only Modlets (can be installed on servers with no client download).

2). XML + Assets Modlets (cannot be server only).

3). C# Modlets (cannot be server only, EAC must be off!!!)

Were you strictly referring to 'dedicated' servers? Or are you including multiplayer games served from a single player game as well? If I install any of the working mods from the first category into my mod directory, does it get automatically downloaded by players connecting to my game? Or do they need to download the mod themselves, and install it? I'm thinking the later, but can I get some clarification?

No he wasn’t 

yes

yes

no