Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Riamus

Riamus

9 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Well, one of the goals of the Learn by Reading system was to get people to craft much of their gear not just once but several times. And when you do that you need a lot of duct tape and glue. Who would have thought?

I know that the developers increased the amount of glue and duct tape you can find in loot and the trader sells both but I still have a shortage of glue. And this isn't even a play-through  where I need duct tape for ammo like the exploding crossbow bolts. At the moment I have 6 dew collectors and I use most of my water to produce glue.

And that's the thing... if you are concerned about glue, then it isn't really empty jars that you're upset about.  It's the difficulty making enough glue.  That is a balancing issue and not really an issue with the removal of empty jars.  Sure, the jars made it possible to make the glue you wanted without any real effort but that's also not balanced.  They basically went from one end of the spectrum to the other regarding glue production.  As far as hydration, this is a better solution, imo.  For glue, they need to work out a balance that makes it possible to make glue more easily.  Perhaps even making it so 1 water = 5 glue.  That would not affect hydration but would help with glue production.  I am not saying that is the best solution but that it is a solution and does not require tons of empty glass jars or making water simplistic.

8 hours ago, Survior said:

I'm glad you brought that up. The idea that somehow crafting the same item, or slightly upgraded item, with 3 graphics total per type, for example spears and doing it several times and thinking that is fun is beyond me, that leads into the laughable balance that is, mod slots/tier levels for upgrading at all, where crafting an iron item is in every sense of the word a downgrade from the stone version  that does less damage, has less mod slots and is vastly more expensive to repair. Rinse and repeat for steel.

It took a year and a half to come up with this absolutely brilliant plan!

Well, the overlap was already there.  It isn't new in A21.  That being said, it does need to be corrected because there isn't any value in making lower tier items.  I've even given up on tier 3 or 4 now and only upgrade when I can do quality level 5.  There just isn't any reason to bother with the lower quality levels.  About the only things I'll make lower quality levels of are stone items since they are cheap enough to make and are always an upgrade, or the nail gun.  No reason to make a level 5 nail gun.  Level 1 works just as well for far less resources.

5 hours ago, zztong said:

I think what some miss is the ability to carry water away from a water source. Not only is it a fundamental human thing, but it puts the player in the driver's seat (as opposed to a loot table) and rewards their planning. Make the game such that when you point at a water source and click E you get murky water and that would be resolved without empty jars.

However, free murky water on demand (if you're standing by a pond, river, or ditch) runs contrary to the early game's water scarcity goal. I think few oppose this goal. The real trick would be how to do both. I think there are options and I'd happily talk of them (again) if I had any sense it might be useful.

I agree that it isn't realistic.  I even posted that before A21 when they announced the water changes.  It doesn't make sense that you can't carry water back to your base to boil.  At the same time, I feel like the overabundance of water when you allow this defeats any reason to include hydration in the game.  Because of that, I am fine with removing the option to carry water.  The game doesn't have to be realistic if there is a gameplay reason for doing something, imo.  It would be great if some compromise could be made that would allow for both water scarcity and carrying water.  I don't know that they want to change things, though.  So you're probably right thinking it might not be useful to rehash the ideas, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Vaeliorin said:

Supposedly you can get them very rarely from destroyed dew collectors, but in 60-70 hours in A21, I've yet to see a destroyed dew collector.

I've seen them a few times.  Try going to some survivor stations and you'll probably find some.  I think that's where I usually found them.  I think I found one in a house's basement as well, though I may not be remembering that correctly.  I wasn't really trying to keep track of them.

Riamus

Riamus

9 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Well, one of the goals of the Learn by Reading system was to get people to craft much of their gear not just once but several times. And when you do that you need a lot of duct tape and glue. Who would have thought?

I know that the developers increased the amount of glue and duct tape you can find in loot and the trader sells both but I still have a shortage of glue. And this isn't even a play-through  where I need duct tape for ammo like the exploding crossbow bolts. At the moment I have 6 dew collectors and I use most of my water to produce glue.

And that's the thing... if you are concerned about glue, then it isn't really empty jars that you're upset about.  It's the difficulty making enough glue.  That is a balancing issue and not really an issue with the removal of empty jars.  Sure, the jars made it possible to make the glue you wanted without any real effort but that's also not balanced.  They basically went from one end of the spectrum to the other regarding glue production.  As far as hydration, this is a better solution, imo.  For glue, they need to work out a balance that makes it possible to make glue more easily.  Perhaps even making it so 1 water = 5 glue.  That would not affect hydration but would help with glue production.  I am not saying that is the best solution but that it is a solution and does not require tons of empty glass jars or making water simplistic.

8 hours ago, Survior said:

I'm glad you brought that up. The idea that somehow crafting the same item, or slightly upgraded item, with 3 graphics total per type, for example spears and doing it several times and thinking that is fun is beyond me, that leads into the laughable balance that is, mod slots/tier levels for upgrading at all, where crafting an iron item is in every sense of the word a downgrade from the stone version  that does less damage, has less mod slots and is vastly more expensive to repair. Rinse and repeat for steel.

It took a year and a half to come up with this absolutely brilliant plan!

Well, the overlap was already there.  It isn't new in A21.  That being said, it does need to be corrected because there isn't any value in making lower tier items.  I've even given up on tier 3 or 4 now and only upgrade when I can do quality level 5.  There just isn't any reason to bother with the lower quality levels.  About the only things I'll make lower quality levels of are stone items since they are cheap enough to make and are always an upgrade, or the nail gun.  No reason to make a level 5 nail gun.  Level 1 works just as well for far less resources.

5 hours ago, zztong said:

I think what some miss is the ability to carry water away from a water source. Not only is it a fundamental human thing, but it puts the player in the driver's seat (as opposed to a loot table) and rewards their planning. Make the game such that when you point at a water source and click E you get murky water and that would be resolved without empty jars.

However, free murky water on demand (if you're standing by a pond, river, or ditch) runs contrary to the early game's water scarcity goal. I think few oppose this goal. The real trick would be how to do both. I think there are options and I'd happily talk of them (again) if I had any sense it might be useful.

I agree that it isn't realistic.  I even posted that before A21 when they announced the water changes.  It doesn't make sense that you can carry water back to your base to boil.  At the same time, I feel like the overabundance of water when you allow this defeats any reason to include hydration in the game.  Because of that, I am fine with removing the option to carry water.  The game doesn't have to be realistic if there is a gameplay reason for doing something, imo.  It would be great if some compromise could be made that would allow for both water scarcity and carrying water.  I don't know that they want to change things, though.  So you're probably right thinking it might not be useful to rehash the ideas, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Vaeliorin said:

Supposedly you can get them very rarely from destroyed dew collectors, but in 60-70 hours in A21, I've yet to see a destroyed dew collector.

I've seen them a few times.  Try going to some survivor stations and you'll probably find some.  I think that's where I usually found them.  I think I found one in a house's basement as well, though I may not be remembering that correctly.  I wasn't really trying to keep track of them.