( lantern: bottle consumer, torch alt) = bottle + cloth strip(s) + alcohol / gasoline

mangodrink

I didn't find anything on a search on "lanterns" (except for an idea a couple weeks back for a flashlight + stick torch), but since the bottles are reusable now and currently don't break/wear out (nerfing glassblowing), I thought a good sink for them would be craftable lanterns that behave just like torches but don't have that "major fire hazard" look. Or for something that behaves differently, maybe a shorter light radius, or weaker light. Mood lighting, if you will, or possibly a reduced ability to attract zombies. bottle + cloth strip(s) + alcohol/gasoline. Since gas cans probably hold several bottles' worth of fuel, and I'm not sure I'd want a recipe that produces 6-10 lanterns at a time, also put a new recipe to break down gas cans into even smaller units, maybe gascan + bottle(s). Maybe even make a different set of items altogether for fluid containers and fluids that go in them (that's a different topic though, and probably a bit of a combinatorial chore given the current crafting system). edit: +1 on ideas like this too: [url]http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?14945-Breaking-a-leg-should-break-some-glass-jars-too[/url]

I'd love a lantern. Maybe add some metal strips to that for the basket around the jar so it can stand or hang. One thing your idea could tie in with is I believe the devs have stated they're looking at adding burning mechanics at some point. Taking a gas can down to a few jars of gas plus cloth....Molotovs anyone? :smile-new:

There is already a recipe for grain alcohol, which is basically a glass jar of the stuff. It is made at the campfire with cornmeal and a bottle of water I believe, with the beaker as a cooking implement. Takes a while to craft though, (fermentation and all that). Also, you can craft it into a gas can but it takes like 8 jars of alcohol. Currently the jar of alcohol is a major component in the first aid kit, which could explain why it has a really long cook time. I would love to see other uses for it though. (You can also drink it, but other than slight health loss there is no effect, and it is really a waste of a resource that takes a long time to get) I believe this would serve as the base of your idea. Although a better idea would be to place raw meat into the crafting grid to get animal oil for use in your lantern. As oil would be a much better source of fuel as opposed to gas or alcohol, (which would burn too fast, or blow up if you weren't careful or something went wrong lol) Molotovs would be an awesome weapon, even better than the somewhat useless pipebomb in my opinion. They would not have a fuse, but would instead blow up on contact. Allowing much better targeting of zeds/players. Once fires have been implemented, would be a great way to clear large groups of zeds, or burn down random wood based structures lol.

Archived