Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
AH64_Jimbo

AH64_Jimbo

On 11/17/2023 at 11:43 PM, Evil_Geoff said:

This is AMAZING!  Love, love, LOVE it!

Thank you very much! I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying it!

Runways are numbered via their compass headings.

This is very true! Runways are numbered based on compass or rather magnetic heading, rounded to the nearest 10 degrees. Since 7DTD is based in fictional Navezgane County, Arizona that would give a magnetic declination of about -11 degrees from true north (give or take a degree or so, based on several factors). So while you are technically correct and very astute at noticing that the runways are aligned perfectly with the true cardinal directions (North, South, East and West). However, the compass heading that a pilot would see when landing or taking off would be off by about 11 degrees.

For example, a pilot landing to the north would see a compass heading of about 349 degrees, thus why the runway is numbered 35.

I used to be a pilot, so I try to incorporate real-world aviation practices into my prefabs as much as possible! Again, though, good catch and I am glad that you are enjoying adventuring at the airport!

AH64_Jimbo

AH64_Jimbo

This is very true! Runways are numbered based on magnetic heading, rounded to the nearest 10 degrees. Since 7DTD is based in fictional Navezgane County, Arizona that would give a magnetic declination of about -11 degrees (give or take a degree or so, based on several factors). So while you are technically correct and very astute at noticing that the runways are aligned perfectly with the cardinal directions (North, South, East and West). However, the compass heading that a pilot would see when landing or taking off would be off by about 11 degrees.

For example, a pilot landing to the north would see a compass heading of about 349 degrees, thus why the runway is numbered 35.

I used to be a pilot, so I try to incorporate real-world aviation practices into my prefabs as much as possible! Again, though, good catch and I am glad that you are enjoying adventuring at the airport!

AH64_Jimbo

AH64_Jimbo

14 hours ago, Evil_Geoff said:

14 hours ago, Evil_Geoff said:

This is very true! Runways are numbered based on magnetic heading, rounded to the nearest 10 degrees. Since 7DTD is based in fictional Navezgane County, Arizona that would give a magnetic declination of about -11 degrees (give or take a degree or so, based on several factors). So while you are technically correct and very astute at noticing that the runways are aligned perfectly with the cardinal directions (North, South, East and West). However, the compass heading that a pilot would see when landing or taking off would be off by about 11 degrees.

I used to be a pilot, so I try to incorporate real-world aviation practices in my prefabs as much as possible! Again, though, good catch and I am glad that you are enjoying adventuring at the airport!

AH64_Jimbo

AH64_Jimbo

5 hours ago, Evil_Geoff said:

5 hours ago, Evil_Geoff said:

This is very true! Runways are numbered based on magnetic heading, rounded to the nearest 10 degrees. Since 7DTD is based in fictional Navezgane County, Arizona that would give a magnetic declination of about -11 degrees (give or take a degree or so, based on several factors). So while you are technically correct and very astute at noticing that the runways are aligned perfectly with the cardinal directions (North, South, East and West) the compass heading that a pilot would see when landing or taking off would be off by about 11 degrees.

For example, a pilot landing to the north would see a compass heading of about 349 degrees, thus why the runway is numbered Runway 35.

I used to be a pilot, so I try to incorporate real-world aviation practices in my prefabs as much as possible! Again, though, good catch and I am glad that you are enjoying adventuring at the airport!