Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Riamus

Riamus

23 minutes ago, spud42 said:

i agree but there should be some limitation on how many of the same tile can be put in a row.  I had a map recently where the same tile/ farm was 4 in a row along the street...

I'm too old and lazy to learn how to make tiles.. leave that up to younger people.. was just curious what was involved...

Teragon49-1.jpg.cd33d576655199899901b76bbca1f36c.jpg

this is the new Tassie map i made... nice wide rivers.... i wish that 7DTD didnt let the air drops land on water. that would be a nice QOL improvement!

image.jpeg.2cf0f5b4f4b337111e6648edcacd4cdc.jpeg

another view of the river... 7DTD can be quite beautiful!

The problem is that there is currently only one vanilla tile of each type in each district (with maybe an exception or two).  So if you have a few intersections in a row that are the same district, you'd have the same tile in a row.  The same for most other types (caps aren't likely to be in a row).  Having additional tiles available can greatly improve this.  Just adding ZZTong's modlet will have a big impact on the variety you see and if you add some more custom tiles, it'll help even more.  By what LazMan said, it sounds like A22 will come with some more tiles (unless he meant just changes to tiles) so that will also help.

That being said, the next release of Teragon has the new parameters I mentioned above relating to breaking up districts and providing variations in districts.  Although that will definitely be more noticeable in larger towns, it should also help in smaller towns (maybe about 12-20 size) to break things up a bit.  By having the districts not quite so homogenous, you'll get more variety in tiles that are in a row.  The downside with smaller towns if you use these parameters is that the districts might not seem quite as cohesive as you might like.  So there is definitely some give and take with it for what looks best.  Adding more custom tiles will still be the best option.

It also depends on the tiles.  When you see something like two vanilla industrial caps next to one another, they are going to look very similar because they only have (IIRC) one large prefab on them.  There are a few different prefabs that can go on them (the various factories), but it's still just one building and then the tile.  So they can look very repetitive.  On the other hand, if you have two corner tiles of the same district next to one another, they usually don't look too repetitive because there are many prefabs on them and you'll get a lot of different ones so it doesn't look the same.  So tiles that have more prefabs on them shouldn't look quite as repetitive as those with only one or two prefabs.  But even so, more tiles is best.

As far as your example, if it was a Teragon map, you shouldn't have had the same farm multiple times in a row.  Are you sure they weren't different farms?  Those can look very similar to one another.  The default distance in Teragon between duplicate POI if using the default presets is 300m.  So as long as a POI doesn't have a different distance set, they should be a minimum of 2 tiles apart (one tile between).  There are exceptions, of course.  If nothing can go in a spot while following the distance restrictions and other restrictions that you might have set, Teragon will fill the spot with something even though it normally shouldn't go there unless you're using the enforce properties for that POI.  But for that to happen to the same prefab 4 times in a row is pretty unlikely.  I won't say it can't happen, but it shouldn't.

Note: If you're using a preset that is an edited version of an older default preset, you may not have the default distance parameters in your POI Property List.  If you do not have those, you may get POI that are on repeating tiles because the normal distance without that is something pretty small.  So that might also be the cause.  You might want to copy/paste the POI Property List from the current version of the default presets into your preset if you didn't make changes to your POI Property List to make sure you have all the current parameters.  That, or start a new preset that is based on the current default presets instead of editing a preset you've been using/editing for a long time.

Riamus

Riamus

21 minutes ago, spud42 said:

i agree but there should be some limitation on how many of the same tile can be put in a row.  I had a map recently where the same tile/ farm was 4 in a row along the street...

I'm too old and lazy to learn how to make tiles.. leave that up to younger people.. was just curious what was involved...

this is the new Tassie map i made... nice wide rivers.... i wish that 7DTD didnt let the air drops land on water. that would be a nice QOL improvement!

The problem is that there is currently only one vanilla tile of each type in each district (with maybe an exception or two).  So if you have a few intersections in a row that are the same district, you'd have the same tile in a row.  The same for most other types (caps aren't likely to be in a row).  Having additional tiles available can greatly improve this.  Just adding ZZTong's modlet will have a big impact on the variety you see and if you add some more custom tiles, it'll help even more.  By what LazMan said, it sounds like A22 will come with some more tiles (unless he meant just changes to tiles) so that will also help.

That being said, the next release of Teragon has the new parameters I mentioned above relating to breaking up districts and providing variations in districts.  Although that will definitely be more noticeable in larger towns, it should also help in smaller towns (maybe about 12-20 size) to break things up a bit.  By having the districts not quite so homogenous, you'll get more variety in tiles that are in a row.  The downside with smaller towns if you use these parameters is that the districts might not seem quite as cohesive as you might like.  So there is definitely some give and take with it for what looks best.  Adding more custom tiles will still be the best option.

It also depends on the tiles.  When you see something like two vanilla industrial caps next to one another, they are going to look very similar because they only have (IIRC) one large prefab on them.  There are a few different prefabs that can go on them (the various factories), but it's still just one building and then the tile.  So they can look very repetitive.  On the other hand, if you have two corner tiles of the same district next to one another, they usually don't look too repetitive because there are many prefabs on them and you'll get a lot of different ones so it doesn't look the same.  So tiles that have more prefabs on them shouldn't look quite as repetitive as those with only one or two prefabs.  But even so, more tiles is best.

As far as your example, if it was a Teragon map, you shouldn't have had the same farm multiple times in a row.  Are you sure they weren't different farms?  Those can look very similar to one another.  The default distance in Teragon between duplicate POI if using the default presets is 300m.  So as long as a POI doesn't have a different distance set, they should be a minimum of 2 tiles apart (one tile between).  There are exceptions, of course.  If nothing can go in a spot while following the distance restrictions and other restrictions that you might have set, Teragon will fill the spot with something even though it normally shouldn't go there unless you're using the enforce properties for that POI.  But for that to happen to the same prefab 4 times in a row is pretty unlikely.  I won't say it can't happen, but it shouldn't.

Riamus

Riamus

16 minutes ago, spud42 said:

The problem is that there is currently only one vanilla tile of each type in each district (with maybe an exception or two).  So if you have a few intersections in a row that are the same district, you'd have the same tile in a row.  The same for most other types (caps aren't likely to be in a row).  Having additional tiles available can greatly improve this.  Just adding ZZTong's modlet will have a big impact on the variety you see and if you add some more custom tiles, it'll help even more.  By was LazMan said, it sounds like A22 will come with some more tiles (unless he meant just changes to tiles) so that will also help.

It also depends on the tiles.  When you see something like two vanilla industrial cap next to one another, they are going to look very similar because they only have (IIRC) one large prefab on them.  There are a few different prefabs that can go on them (the various factories), but it's still just one building and then the tile.  So they can look very repetitive.  On the other hand, if you have two corner tiles of the same district next to one another, they usually don't look too repetitive because there are many prefabs on them and you'll get a lot of different ones so it doesn't look the same.  So tiles that have more prefabs on them shouldn't look quite as repetitive as those with only one or two prefabs.  But even so, more tiles is best.

As far as your example, if it was a Teragon map, you shouldn't have had the same farm multiple times in a row.  Are you sure they were different farms?  Those can look very similar to one another.  The default distance in Teragon between duplicate POI if using the default presets is 300m.  So as long as a POI doesn't have a different distance set, they should be a minimum of 2 tiles apart (one tile between).  There are exceptions, of course.  If nothing can go in a spot while following the distance restrictions and other restrictions that you might have set, Teragon will fill the spot with something even though it normally shouldn't go there unless you're using the enforce properties for that POI.  But for that to happen to the same prefab 4 times in a row is pretty unlikely.  I won't say it can't happen, but it shouldn't.

Riamus

Riamus

15 minutes ago, spud42 said:

The problem is that there is currently only one vanilla tile of each type in each district (with maybe an exception or two).  So if you have a few intersections in a row that are the same district, you'd have the same tile in a row.  The same for most other types (caps aren't likely to be in a row).  Having additional tiles available can greatly improve this.  Just adding ZZTong's modlet will have a big impact on the variety you see and if you add some more custom tiles, it'll help even more.  By was LazMan said, it sounds like A22 will come with some more tiles (unless he meant just changes to tiles) so that will also help.

It also depends on the tiles.  When you see something like two vanilla industrial cap next to one another, they are going to look very similar because they only have (IIRC) one large prefab on them.  There are a few different prefabs that can go on them (the various factories), but it's still just one building and then the tile.  So they can look very repetitive.  On the other hand, if you have two corner tiles of the same district next to one another, they usually don't look too repetitive because there are many prefabs on them and you'll get a lot of different ones so it doesn't look the same.  So tiles that have more prefabs on them shouldn't look quite as repetitive as those with only one or two prefabs.  But even so, more tiles is best.

Riamus

Riamus

5 minutes ago, spud42 said:

The problem is that there is currently only one vanilla tile of each type in each district.  So if you have a few intersections in a row that are the same district, you'd have the same tile in a row.  The same for most other types (caps aren't likely to be in a row).  Having additional tiles available can greatly improve this.  Just adding ZZTong's modlet will have a big impact on the variety you see and if you add some more custom tiles, it'll help even more.  By was LazMan said, it sounds like A22 will come with some more tiles (unless he meant just changes to tiles) so that will also help.