Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Riamus

Riamus

I know it's been a while since the last update to Teragon, so I thought I'd give you some information regarding the next version.  Still not sure when it'll be ready.

Just to be very clear... these are for the next version of Teragon (v0.50.0) and are not currently available or are available only in the Testing version at this time.  This information is just for reference regarding the next version.

For those interested in very large cities, including mega cities, you will now be able to have more variety in the district layout by using 2 new parameters in Create Towns.  One parameter sets up the overall shape variance and the other helps to break up districts so you can have more than one of each district within a town.  Here is an example of a 4k mega city with more extreme adjustments to those parameters.  Chances are that you'll want to not go quite as extreme but it's entirely up to you.

image.thumb.png.d68a46b68e2ff0659b92b10ff1453ec6.png

This is in comparison to the current mega cities, where you get one of each district and the districts are kind of diamond-shaped every time.  Be aware that these parameters are not going to really be noticeable on smaller towns (anything under 30-50 or so probably won't see any difference).  Also note that if you use the parameters to break up districts in a medium sized town, such as 50 tiles, you may end up with a number of 1 tile districts within the town that may not look great in the game.  So be careful adjusting these parameters if your towns are medium-sized.  Default small_town and oldwest_town sizes will not really be affected but your default regular_town towns will be where you might see these changes.  I'd recommend double checking your towns to see if the districts look okay if you adjust these parameters.

Also note that, unless something changes, it will also be possible to have the outskirt section of towns be larger than a single tile ring around the town.  Pille is planning to set that up tomorrow so unless there is some problem with it, it will also be available in the next version.  This again is mainly for very large towns and mega cities, allowing you to not have a single tile ring around the town that looks pretty strange.  For smaller towns, you don't want to have a wider outskirt because it will remove too much (or all) of your center districts.  But for towns of a few hundred tiles up to thousands of tiles, it can really help.  EDIT: Here is a screenshot with a wider outskirt area and changing the variation and clusters of districts for the outskirt, similar to what is done in the center area.  So you can now see everything getting mixed up.  You can of course adjust the values so it's not as extreme if you want.

image.thumb.png.672ec811af40fbd23b97aca848769b0f.png

The other main new command will allow you to use stamps.  This isn't currently ready for testing, so I can't give you any screenshots yet, but it will allow you to use custom stamps (basically miniature heightmaps) and place them around your map.  Think of RWG rivers as an example.  Each river is a stamp and looks exactly the same and are just placed randomly around the map.  Using stamps in Teragon will have more options than how rivers are handled in RWG.  You will be able to use any custom stamps that you or others create and these can be clustered in groupings of whatever size you want and can overlap one another.  This can allow you to do things like sand dunes or even offer the ability to take the "perfect" crater or crevice you made in a map and use that exact one as a stamp on other maps.  You could make a swamp or mesas or any number of different things using stamps.  Even though stamps are not generated and so look the same each time they are used, by grouping them and overlapping them, it can help to make these look different.  And because you can use a lot of different stamps if you have them, it will not be as noticeably repetitive as the RWG rivers.  It should allow for some very interesting maps to be made.

I have a feeling that once stamps are available, you will start to see people sharing the stamps they create, which will make adding interesting features to your maps very easy even if you're not good at making your own stamps.  We'll most likely have a place for stamps to be shared in Discord and people are welcome to share stamps in this thread or post them on places like Nexus (I assume that Nexus would allow that kind of posting, though I don't actually know).

I think this next version will be something to look forward to and I know I am looking forward to seeing what everyone can do with stamps.

Btw, on a side note, if anyone has any questions about anything with Teragon, please PING me here when you write your post.  I don't always see what people post here right away.  But if you ping me, I'll notice and you'll get a faster reply.  The other way to receive faster responses it to ask in #discussions on Teragon's Discord.  Otherwise, I'll get back to you whenever I notice that you asked a question.

Riamus

Riamus

I know it's been a while since the last update to Teragon, so I thought I'd give you some information regarding the next version.  Still not sure when it'll be ready.

Just to be very clear... these are for the next version of Teragon (v0.50.0) and are not currently available or are available only in the Testing version at this time.  This information is just for reference regarding the next version.

For those interested in very large cities, including mega cities, you will now be able to have more variety in the district layout by using 2 new parameters in Create Towns.  One parameter sets up the overall shape variance and the other helps to break up districts so you can have more than one of each district within a town.  Here is an example of a 4k mega city with more extreme adjustments to those parameters.  Chances are that you'll want to not go quite as extreme but it's entirely up to you.

This is in comparison to the current mega cities, where you get one of each district and the districts are kind of diamond-shaped every time.  Be aware that these parameters are not going to really be noticeable on smaller towns (anything under 30-50 or so probably won't see any difference).  Also note that if you use the parameters to break up districts in a medium sized town, such as 50 tiles, you may end up with a number of 1 tile districts within the town that may not look great in the game.  So be careful adjusting these parameters if your towns are medium-sized.  Default small_town and oldwest_town sizes will not really be affected but your default regular_town towns will be where you might see these changes.  I'd recommend double checking your towns to see if the districts look okay if you adjust these parameters.

Also note that, unless something changes, it will also be possible to have the outskirt section of towns be larger than a single tile ring around the town.  Pille is planning to set that up tomorrow so unless there is some problem with it, it will also be available in the next version.  This again is mainly for very large towns and mega cities, allowing you to not have a single tile ring around the town that looks pretty strange.  For smaller towns, you don't want to have a wider outskirt because it will remove too much (or all) of your center districts.  But for towns of a few hundred tiles up to thousands of tiles, it can really help.

The other main new command will allow you to use stamps.  This isn't currently ready for testing, so I can't give you any screenshots yet, but it will allow you to use custom stamps (basically miniature heightmaps) and place them around your map.  Think of RWG rivers as an example.  Each river is a stamp and looks exactly the same and are just placed randomly around the map.  Using stamps in Teragon will have more options than how rivers are handled in RWG.  You will be able to use any custom stamps that you or others create and these can be clustered in groupings of whatever size you want and can overlap one another.  This can allow you to do things like sand dunes or even offer the ability to take the "perfect" crater or crevice you made in a map and use that exact one as a stamp on other maps.  You could make a swamp or mesas or any number of different things using stamps.  Even though stamps are not generated and so look the same each time they are used, by grouping them and overlapping them, it can help to make these look different.  And because you can use a lot of different stamps if you have them, it will not be as noticeably repetitive as the RWG rivers.  It should allow for some very interesting maps to be made.

I have a feeling that once stamps are available, you will start to see people sharing the stamps they create, which will make adding interesting features to your maps very easy even if you're not good at making your own stamps.  We'll most likely have a place for stamps to be shared in Discord and people are welcome to share stamps in this thread or post them on places like Nexus (I assume that Nexus would allow that kind of posting, though I don't actually know).

I think this next version will be something to look forward to and I know I am looking forward to seeing what everyone can do with stamps.

Btw, on a side note, if anyone has any questions about anything with Teragon, please PING me here when you write your post.  I don't always see what people post here right away.  But if you ping me, I'll notice and you'll get a faster reply.  The other way to receive faster responses it to ask in #discussions on Teragon's Discord.  Otherwise, I'll get back to you whenever I notice that you asked a question.

Riamus

Riamus

Also note that, unless something changes, it will also be possible to have the outskirt section of towns be larger than a single tile ring around the town.  Pille is planning to set that up tomorrow so unless there is some problem with it, it will also be available in the next version.  This again is mainly for very large towns and mega cities, allowing you to not have a single tile ring around the town that looks pretty strange.  For smaller towns, you don't want to have a wider outskirt because it will remove too much (or all) of your center districts.  But for towns of a few hundred tiles up to thousands of tiles, it can really help.

Riamus

Riamus