Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
zztong

zztong

17 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Learn by doing is literally how we have evolved as a species.

Not really, but I think you acknowledge that in the rest of your post. I might not fully understand all your points.

EDIT: Well, my fear is that I reacted to that first sentence and didn't spend a lot of time reading further. Then I ran off at the mouth with the following...

LBD is certainly part of how we have learned -- You use a tool, you encounter a complication, and you have an idea for how to improve the tool. LBD also represents practicing and perfecting a skill. But that ignores that people also learn through information conveyed to them from others -- lectures, videos, books, magazines, etc. That form of learning typically precedes LBD. If folks are chasing realistic learning, then embrace both.

Personally, I look at the current system of collecting points as being a nice base to allow for both. I think their could be "skill quests" that would generate knowledge to be applied to a skill. These could have a LBD aspect, like "Cook Bacon and Eggs and earn a point in Cooking." Another approach would be to make it such that a LBD milestone had to be accomplished before a skill could move up to the next tier (a gateway task), like "Make an Iron Tool to be able to advance your knowledge to the next level."

zztong

zztong

17 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Not really, but I think you acknowledge that in the rest of your post. I might not fully understand all your points.

EDIT: Well, my fear is that I reacted to that first sentence and didn't spend a lot of time reading further. Then I ran off at the mouth with the following...

LBD is certainly part of how we have learned -- You use a tool, you encounter a complication, and you have an idea for how to improve the tool. LBD also represents practicing and perfecting a skill. But that ignores that people also learn through information conveyed to them from others -- lectures, videos, books, magazines, etc. That form of learning typically precedes LBD. If folks are chasing realistic learning, then embrace both.

Personally, I look at the current system of collecting points as being a nice base to allow for both. I think their could be "skill quests" that would generate knowledge to be applied to a skill. These could have a LBD aspect, like "Cook 20 Bacon and Eggs and earn 2 points in Cooking." Another approach would be to make it such that a LBD milestone had to be accomplished before a skill could move up to the next tier.

zztong

zztong

16 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Personally, I look at the current system of collecting points as being a nice base to allow for both. I think their could be "skill quests" that would generate knowledge to be applied to a skill. These could have a LBD aspect, like "Cook 20 Bacon and Eggs and earn 2 points in Cooking." Another approach would be to make it such that a LBD milestone had to be accomplished before a skill could move up to the next tier.

zztong

zztong

16 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Not really. LBD is certainly part of how we have learned -- You use a tool, you encounter a complication, and you have an idea for how to improve the tool. LBD also represents practicing and perfecting a skill. But that ignores that people also learn through information conveyed to them from others -- lectures, videos, books, magazines, etc. That form of learning typically precedes LBD. If folks are chasing realistic learning, then embrace both.