Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Ralathar44

Ralathar44

19 hours ago, Zombiepoptard said:

so you  think the skipping/ missing frames of the recoil is acceptable?

You think the 2d plan of gun sway is acceptable? 

You think that having your running animation be the bobbing of everything in your hand is ok as oppose to every fps doing the tuck and run.

Every game with melee animations at least have 2 animation one swing from the left to right. 

I'm not asking for much. I'm asking for bare minimum standards to be realized. 

I'm thinking you got way to comfortable with what the game is that any added compared standards of what an fps should be is just something that "would be a plus" at most.

You're the first person I've ever heard complain about any of this so its clearly not a common issue.  I don't see anything egregiously out of place in the gunplay and not only do I not expect this to be Call of Duty or Battlefield or Destiny but I also think its not only fine but healthy for different games to implement their gunplay in different ways.

As far as melee animations....communicating to the player accurately where their attack will land > else.  Most other games with all the animation variations don't have near the same level of precision.  And even something like Dark Souls or Elden Ring that lives off of its melee combat very successfully doesn't give you a left right left cadence when you take individual swings.  

We're not doing combos in 7DTD, we're getting in individual swings where they are safe.  Which is actually very classic old school Dark Souls lol.  Combos, for the most part, are not really a thing in actual martial combat.  Certainly you'll follow up an attack if you see an opening but you're not gonna left right left kick dragon punch hurricane kick lol.  You add in individual extra strikes only as appropriate to the situation.  Go watch some MMA for a decent idea lol.  The same extrapolates over to weaponry.   I'm not gonna say "muh realism" but I will say that designing combat this way is another valid style and not everything has to be some sort of fantasy RPG where you bust out some sick 5 hit sword combo.  We have the modern Final Fantasy games for that.  Or Devil May Cry or God of War.

Ralathar44

Ralathar44

You think that having your running animation be the bobbing of everything in your hand is ok as oppose to every fps doing the tuck and run.

Every game with melee animations at least have 2 animation one swing from the left to right. 

I'm thinking you got way to comfortable with what the game is that any added compared standards of what an fps should be is just something that "would be a plus" at most.

You're the first person I've ever heard complain about any of this so its clearly not a common issue.  I don't see anything egregiously out of place in the gunplay and not only do I not expect this to be Call of Duty or Battlefield or Destiny but I also think its not only fine but healthy for different games to implement their gunplay in different ways.

As far as melee animations....communicating to the player accurately where their attack will land > else.  Most other games with all the animation variations don't have near the same level of precision.  And even something like Dark Souls or Elden Ring that lives off of its melee combat very successfully doesn't give you a left right left cadence when you take individual swings.  

We're not doing combos in 7DTD, we're getting in individual swings where they are safe.  Which is actually very classic old school Dark Souls lol.  Combos, for the most part, are not really a thing in actual martial combat.  Certainly you'll follow up an attack if you see an opening but you're not gonna left right left kick dragon punch hurricane kick lol.  You add in individual extra strikes only as appropriate to the situation.  Go watch some MMA for a decent idea lol.  The same extrapolates over to weaponry.   I'm not gonna say "muh realism" but I will say that designing combat this way is another valid style and not everything has to be some sort of fantasy RPG where you bust out some sick 5 hit sword combo.  We have the modern Final Fantasy games for that.  Or Devil May Cry or etc.

Ralathar44

Ralathar44

We're not doing combos in 7DTD, we're getting in individual swings where they are safe.  Which is actually very classic old school Dark Souls lol.  Combos, for the most part, are not really a thing in actual martial combat.  Certainly you'll follow up an attack if you see an opening but you're not gonna left right left kick dragon punch hurricane kick lol.  You add in individual extra strikes only as appropriate to the situation.  Go watch some MMA for a decent idea lol.  The same extrapolates over to weaponry.   I'm not gonna say "muh realism" but I will say that designing combat this way is another valid style and not everything has to be Kingdoms of Amaulur lol.

Ralathar44

Ralathar44

As far as melee animations....communicating to the player accurately where their attack will land > else.  Most other games with all the animation variations don't have near the same level of precision.  And even something like Dark Souls or Elden Ring that lives off of its melee combat very successfully doesn't give you a left right left cadence when you take individual swings.   We're not doing combos in 7DTD, we're getting in individual swings where they are safe.  Which is actually very classic old school Dark Souls lol.  Combos, for the most part, are not really a thing in actual martial combat.  Certainly you'll follow up an attack if you see an opening but you're not gonna left right left kick dragon punch hurricane kick lol.  You add in individual extra strikes only as appropriate to the situation.  Go watch some MMA for a decent idea lol.  The same extrapolates over to weaponry.