Wandering Horde Recommendations

I'm really tired of the vanilla wandering horde progression.  I've long since memorized the animal horde (the only dangerous ones) gamestages:  4, 12, 20, 34, 38, 41, 50.  I've memorized them because they're too dangerous to ignore.  So I focus my gameplay in the first few weeks around them.  If I don't have anything to do in a safe place (e.g. crafting, working on my base, whatever) on dog/wolf/bear day, I frequently perch on rooftops or nerdpoles until either I see the horde pass or my gamestage changes (level up or 7:00 AM).  It's frustrating, distracting, and not fun.

Also, after the first cycle or two (i.e. after GS 50 or 100), wandering hordes are no longer a threat.  They don't scale.

Since I don't enjoy constantly monitoring my gamestage, I'm interested in mods that change the wandering horde progression.  I know Darkness Falls slowly scales the hordes instead of cycling every 50 GS.  It scales all the way up to demons, I think.  I want something like that, but for vanilla zombies, where they remain a threat until very late but without difficulty spikes that demand constant attention.  Does anyone know a mod that does that?  One that isn't a comprehensive overhaul like Darkness Falls?