Sugestions for more melee and thrown weapons.

Grotto19

Here are some weapon suggestions I think are both fitting and interesting to add to what a survivor would be able to craft, and would likely want to. Feel free to add more suggestions or critique which you like and don’t like so the pimps can see what we want to see. More melee options: 1. Hunting spear. (3 sticks, 1 plant fiber, 1 sharpened stone) Medium damage, medium speed, low durability, extended reach. [good for defending through holes in your defenses] 2. Iron spear (4 sticks, 2 iron ingots) Heavy damage, medium speed, high durability, extended reach. 3. Crude Machete (1 stick, one plant fiber, 6 iron scrap) Medium damage, fast speed, medium durability, block damage .75, appropriate tool against wood) [Both a weapon and tool, more effective than stone axe against wood, but still less effective than the fire axe] Thrown weapons: Most of these would benefit from a recovery dynamic which would allow them to be picked up from the ground if you can find where they landed) 1. Stone javelin (2 sticks, 1 sharpened stone) Medium damage, medium speed, medium range, poor accuracy. 2. Tomahawk (1 stick, 1 plant fiber, 1 sharpened stone) Medium damage, medium speed, short range, high accuracy, large headshot bonus. 3. Boomerang (3 sticks) Low damage, medium speed, medium range, average accuracy, very large headshot bonus 4. Throwing knife (1 forged iron) Medium damage, very fast speed, short range, high accuracy

+1 for spears, I'm suprised this isn't already in considering the range of melee, this would help it make more sense. Against a zombie though a spear would be hard to use, so it depends how "realistic" you want to be. I like the idea though. IMO a large home make halberd/combataxe, as chopping bits off is most effective vs zeds according to most lore. Throwing weapons too sound good too. I would also like to see a normal bow instead of crossbow, seems more realistic. Also persistent arrows ala skyrim so you can see where your shots landed, and make them penetrate like skyrim too, this was always great fun for me to see how good my aim was and having arrows stick out in cool ways or sometimes humorous "hey i got him in the butt/sack" shots.

[QUOTE=Grotto19;126394]Thanks. I think most players would welcome these additions. And none of them would be game breaking or OP, they would just add more variety and flavor. People get tired of the old club and crossbow routine each new game.[/QUOTE] You are welcome. I hope that the developers see this and think about adding at-least some of these to the game.

[QUOTE=Empra;126403]+1 for spears, I'm suprised this isn't already in considering the range of melee, this would help it make more sense. Against a zombie though a spear would be hard to use, so it depends how "realistic" you want to be. I like the idea though. IMO a large home make halberd/combataxe, as chopping bits off is most effective vs zeds according to most lore. Throwing weapons too sound good too. I would also like to see a normal bow instead of crossbow, seems more realistic. Also persistent arrows ala skyrim so you can see where your shots landed, and make them penetrate like skyrim too, this was always great fun for me to see how good my aim was and having arrows stick out in cool ways or sometimes humorous "hey i got him in the butt/sack" shots.[/QUOTE] Oh I agree that with realism a spear would be complete crap against any foe who is not concerned about their organs being punctured nor worries about bleeding. But if we think that way than all piercing weapons become terrible (that would include bows and crossbows), so I am assuming this particular portion of realism is one most players support suspending. However even with that said when I think about what melee weapon I would want to take into a zombie apocalypse hands down the answer would be a halberd. I didn’t include that in my list only because I thought it would feel to out of genre for most players. Arrows sticking out of the target pincushion style oh yes please, I love that. And I think I may add bows to this list as I have heard that a few times now. I am thinking an early crude short bow and perhaps an unlockable compound bow. I also think iron tipped arrows and bolts would be a good option to extend to players.

[QUOTE=CrionLord;129012]+1 Yeah some good suggestions here and a few new ones I hadn't seen before. Speaking of LOTR, the Crude machete could look like the orcs' swords! [ATTACH=CONFIG]4203[/ATTACH][/QUOTE] I wouldn’t mind a nod to LOTR being in the game at all. Especially since if you were to make a sword that did not require a forge to make it would look at least that crappy.

[QUOTE=Grotto19;127622]Oh I agree that with realism a spear would be complete crap against any foe who is not concerned about their organs being punctured nor worries about bleeding. But if we think that way than all piercing weapons become terrible (that would include bows and crossbows), so I am assuming this particular portion of realism is one most players support suspending.[/QUOTE] I'd like piercing weapons to be quite ineffective against zeds, except you hit the head of course. Would be great if there would be some weapons who reward aim more than others. For example a spear could be strong when hitting the head but weak against the body, an axe could be fine against body and only a little bit better when hitting the head. Bows and small firearms should do almost no damage if they don't hit the head. Something like different advantages of weapon types (bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, explosive) and even combinations of them (morning star = bludgeoning + piercing?) as well as different attack speeds and ranges would give players a lot of choices (maybe also some damage balancing here and there?). Hopefully at some point there will no longer be a clear choice for the best weapon and players can choose their preferred one. If such a system would be implemented it might be the best if block damage and bonus damage is independent of weapon type. Axes and swords would both be slashing type weapons but an axe should do way more damage against wood blocks than a sword.

[QUOTE=Hinado;129279]I'd like piercing weapons to be quite ineffective against zeds, except you hit the head of course. Would be great if there would be some weapons who reward aim more than others. For example a spear could be strong when hitting the head but weak against the body, an axe could be fine against body and only a little bit better when hitting the head. Bows and small firearms should do almost no damage if they don't hit the head. Something like different advantages of weapon types (bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, explosive) and even combinations of them (morning star = bludgeoning + piercing?) as well as different attack speeds and ranges would give players a lot of choices (maybe also some damage balancing here and there?). Hopefully at some point there will no longer be a clear choice for the best weapon and players can choose their preferred one. If such a system would be implemented it might be the best if block damage and bonus damage is independent of weapon type. Axes and swords would both be slashing type weapons but an axe should do way more damage against wood blocks than a sword.[/QUOTE] Unless they boost the damage of weapons significantly no one is going to use a non-headshot weapon, the bonus is far too great right now to care about body shots. I will agree that if weapons did more damage on body hits that some players might chose a high damage weapon over one with less damage but a bigger headshot bonus. But in its current state headshot damage is the only thing players are looking at.

I think an abundence of weapons that cover the jobs of others will clutter and is not necessary for a non-progressive sand box game. When I say non-progressive I mean not like an RPG where you're looking for that +2 damage weapon to defeat the harder and harder enemies. A couple, would be nice though. A boomarang for bees/flying so you can keep trying to get them out the sky since they are hard to hit. Throw your stone axe for a big amount of damage. Able to pick up the stone axe from where it falls.

Archived