Expanding radiation zone - is it possible?

jcaustic

Hello, I am looking for a very specific modification and I am wondering if it exists or is possible to make. What I want is to be able to set a point on the map that causes the radiation debuff, like what happens on the edge of the map. Then, I would like the effect to increase in range along a set schedule. In other words, I want to have an expanding sphere of radiation that forces you to move out of it's way. Ideally, you would place it in the corner of the map and set the expansion rate so that it will have consumed half the map by day 56. Ultimately, I want to have the expanding zone start next to my spawn point to encourage a more nomadic play style

Is this possible? Does something like it already exist?

Thank you

AFAIK altering the biome map at run-time isn't possible with modlets, so you'll want to look into DMT modding if you want to make something like this the way you've described it.

The closest you could get with a modlet I can think of is making radioactive bedrock that replaces existing bedrock over time, but this would apply universally across the map or would effect the biome in question regardless of location and could be avoided by just going high above it. Could make radioactive objects that replace existing objects, but those could be destroyed or collapsed.

Pretty much DMT mod territory, but I'm not sure where you'd want to start.

the closest you could get... is making radioactive bedrock

Thank you for your input. Perhaps you could help me think of an alternative? I don't really care if the effect is radiation, infection, heat, hunger, bleeding, blindness, whatever. All I want is some kind of harmful or debilitating effect to start at one point and expand out at a constant rate. The goal here is to have some mechanism that forces players to constantly have to move in a direction across the map. Now that I think about it, my preference would be for some kind of effect that doesn't kill you quickly, like radiation does. It could be something as simple as a -1 max stamina debuff for every minute spent within the zone.

What would be the simplest, most straightforward way to 'encourage' players to move away from some kind of effect with an expanding radius?

What would be the simplest, most straightforward way to 'encourage' players to move away from some kind of effect with an expanding radius?

Basically you want an effect_group attached to every player that has conditional requirements based on distance from an arbitrary coordinate, I don't think the current system supports it, but it doesn't sound terribly hard to add with code.

So you may want to ask some people who make DMT mods about whether that could be done, or somebody who knows more than I do about the underlying requirement/effect system to confirm whether or not that's possible with what we have now.

you may want to ask some people who make DMT mods

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm a little new around here, so forgive my ignorance but - the sub-forum for DMT mod info appears dead. is there a different place I should look, or are you suggesting I contact the individual mod makers for further guidance?

Archived