Alcsaar's Modlet [Skill book, Trader quests give skill book scraps]

alcsaar

Hey everyone!

This is for A18 Stable - not tested on A18.1 Unstable.

I've created a modlet which makes trader tier quests give "Skill book scraps" of varying amounts. 5 of these scraps can be combined into a skill book which provides 1 skill point quest when used.

I'd like to thank EpicSpire and Laokia as this mod was inspired by a combination of their two mods. I liked to idea of quests giving skill points, but I wanted to change the way they were awarded to be more of a consistent, middle ground.

I've separated it into two modlet files. One modlet adds the skill book, skill book scraps, recipe, and the quest that awards the skill point on book use. I separated this in case anyway wants to just add the skill book in but not have it impact quests.

The second modlet modifies the tier 1-6 trader quests to give varying amounts of scraps.

Awarding a quantity range of items is a bit finicky currently in the XML, but what you should expect to see is:

Tier 1 = 2-3 scraps

Tier 2 = 2-4 scraps

Tier 3 = 3-4 scraps

Tier 4 = 3-5 scraps

Tier 5 = 4-5 scraps

Tier 6 = 5-6 scraps

Additionally, completing a full tier of quests (5x tier 1, 5x tier 2, etc.) will award one full skill book.

Warning

------------------------------------------------------------

I would suggest starting a new game to use this mod, as always anytime you use a mod that makes a major change to character data, just to prevent any really bad side effects.

I don't foresee any problems adding this to previous saves, but just in case, make sure to do a back up first if you plan to try.

My testing is limited but so far I haven't had any negative impacts adding this to existing game.

------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to modify these modlets however you'd like.

[table=width: 500, class: grid]

[tr]

[td]Name[/td]

[td]Desc[/td]

[td]DL Link[/td]

[td]Game Version[/td]

[td]Dependencies[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Alcsaar_Skill_Point_Scrap_Book[/td]

[td]Adds skill point book and scraps[/td]

[td]DL Link[/td]

[td]A18 Stable[/td]

[td]N/A[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Alcsaar_Trader_Quest_Skill_Points[/td]

[td]Adds skill book scraps/books to trader quest rewards[/td]

[td]DL Link[/td]

[td]A18 Stable[/td]

[td]Alcsaar_Skill_Point_Scrap_Book[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

• 3 weeks later...

Are the scrap pieces a guaranteed reward or a random roll optional choice? Would like to see it as a random choice to encourage doing more trader quests. Also, is there a possibility for including a version that doesn't give the skill point book after completing out tiers? That way it can be used in conjunction with Epicspires mod that gives skills as reward without becoming too much and well it'd just make no sense to be granted direct skill points and then an additional book.

This sounds cool, but I can't help thinking it unbalances thet game, since you gain so many more points but there's no tradeoff. What settings do you recommend your mod ?

I'm not sure about the mod author though as far as what I'm running on my server goes, I'm using a mod that pretty much just straight forward increases the base EXP it takes to level. I figured I would just making leveling itself slower and keep it simple while using a couple other mods for skill points atm... both of which mods the author was inspired by, though I won't list myself out of respect. One of them -very- similar to this one I'm looking to replace with this as it seems like a much lighter version of it with no extra trader changes past the points themselves, also leaving more room for compatibility and less stuff to break..

Pointless? Well... not entirely. Sure, you can look at it as "breaking even" when your just straight gaining skill points over leveling so in a sense you are -possibly- coming out with the same or a similar outcome in the end, but at least this encourages more use of trader quests and introduces a new and imo anyway intuitive way of leveling that isn't -just- blowing away a bunch of zombies and harvesting crap. Sure, there are technically other ways but let's be honest, nothing comes close to zombie smashing. The trader quests do give EXP too, so there is a sense of leveling to it yeah... but you are better off and it would likely just be much faster facerolling door to door to going "Hereeee's Johnny" on them.

Archived