• Version: 21.1.b15

Summary: game froze then crashed

Game Version: A21.1 b15

OS/Version: Windows 11 Pro 22H2

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 7 7700

System Memory: 32 GB

GPU Model and VRAM: AMD RX 7600 8 GB

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz

Video Settings: Ultra -> Custom (Motion blur OFF)

Game mode: SP

Did you wipe old saves? No

Did you start a new game? No

Did you validate your files? Yes

Are you using any mods? No

EAC on or off? Off

Bug Description: Just an ordinary crash - game froze, Win 11 was still responsive to Alt-Tab and Ctrl+Alt+Del, when I switched to desktop view Win popped up Application Error window after a few seconds.

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1) played for a couple of hours, game was paused several times by pressing Esc to freeze the simulation. Pauses weren't very long, PC didn't go to sleep or anything during those pauses

2) normal gameplay, game just froze. This is not the 1st time, but at least Win were still responsive this time - it was a normal crash.

Actual result: GFX froze, not responsive to keystrokes or mouse

Expected result: game to continue to run :)

Link to Pastebin Output Log:
    https://pastebin.com/uW2rkSmB

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Additional info: the game crashed after an hour while I was at the exact same spot on my BloodMoon Fort. I believe it might be GFX related. Maybe something related to drawing distant objects, or some texture in the game on Dart Trap, Baluster rails or orfinary Panel. These are some of the GFX blocks that are at that location and I was looking at them but also there was a great deal of surrounding visible because it was an elevated position on the corner of my BloodMoon Fort (so in the view were blocks from the Fort and chunks around the Fort).

I'm gonna test a bit - I turned off AMD Advanced Sync and relaunched the game and took a SS at the spot where 2 crashes happened. This is roughly the view at the spot it chashed (twice):

https://imgur.com/7hZw49D

Maybe some of the blocks I've used cause the crash in GFX engine?

If it crashes again, I'll turn off the last option I have enabled in Adrenaline (Radeon Anti-Lag) and check again.

I'm trying to eliminate those 2 "advanced" options in drivers and see if it's more stable without them.

GL in finding that bug.

spacer.png

I'm gonna test a bit - I turned off AMD Advanced Sync and relaunched the game and took a SS at the spot where 2 crashes happened. This is roughly the view at the spot it chashed (twice):

https://imgur.com/7hZw49D

Maybe some of the blocks I've used cause the crash in GFX engine?

If it crashes again, I'll turn off the last option I have enabled in Adrenaline (Radeon Anti-Lag) and check again.

I'm trying to eliminate those 2 "advanced" options in drivers and see if it's more stable without them.

GL in finding that bug.

P.S. Both times it crashed I think I had a brush in my hands, painting my base. Just in case it migh be related to the brush model or its textures or something...

spacer.png

Hopefully the unity update will help this, we will keep an eye out of course. I have learned that AMD's anti-lag (and the new one, anti-lag+) has been causing a lot of issues lately, so maybe try turning off everything AMD is doing and let the applications decide on settings and see if that helps. If it does, at least we can narrow it down easier from there.

It never happened again after I started turning off AMD stuff in their overlay. So, one of the two things that were active initially was causing this. It was a good choice to try the process of elimination. :) THX for your reply.