• Profile Corruption on Multiplayer

Sarenthos
    • Version: A21.0 and previous

Hello all,

getting this issue at random on all Versions since 20.0, but happens way more often since 21.0.

Game mode: (MP Client)

Did you wipe old saves? (Yes)

Did you start a new game? (Yes in SP)

Did you validate your files? (Yes)

Are you using any mods? (No)

I'm playing koop with a friend, he is the Host.

Sometimes, when I try to connect to him, I can't. My client is just unable to connect.

After analyzing some logs and googling, it seems that my player Profile on the Host-Side has gotten corrupted.

So either, we need to start all over, again, or we clean up my profile in his files, which means I loose everything and we maybe still corrupting the world, too.

This problem seems to occur even faster, when the Client (me) disconnects form the host (connection loss, router reset, game crash, ... ), and then tries to re-connect, with the host still being online.

With this scenario, the corruption happened in 2 of 3 times.

This problem seems to be around at least since 2022, probably even 2020, for what I can find.

I would really love this to be fixed.

It is highly demotivating to start all over again every few game sessions, when playing koop.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thank you for reporting, we're working on a more robust backup system long term which should hopefully address save corruption. In the short term if you are having issues with network stability there are some things both you and the host can try to mitigate this such as adding the game as an exception to antivirus and firewalls, making sure you're on ethernet connection instead of wifi, and try to enable the "Network Workaround" setting in game to see if that helps. If the host does not have port forwarding set up we would recommend them doing that as well. Other suggestions I've heard would be to make sure your OS is up to date, reducing background programs, and disable any sort of network boosting programs. 

On the other hand, if the game is crashing that sounds like a different issue, see below on how to file a bug report. We'll likely need logs for that.