• Can't join game. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Pacmanj7
    • Version: Alpha 21 b324

Summary: After about a week of playing a new save (or 30 to 40 in game days) hosted by my girlfriend, the game crashes and when I try to rejoin the save once the creating player starts in the loading screen a window within the game pops up with a red line stating "NellReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" and the screen just stays at that point. It never finishes loading me into the game, but it does claim I joined on her screen. I have tried cleaning all game files and options, still wouldn't let me join. We started a new save with her as host still, and after about a week of playing and roughly 35 in game days the same thing happened. This time I created a backup folder and cleaned all game files and deleted the registry, and when I tried loading into the save the same window pops up with the same error still.

Game Version: (A21 b324)

OS/Version: (Windows)

CPU Model: (AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 core 3.59 GHz)

System Memory: (8 GB)

GPU Model and VRAM: (nVidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super  4GB)

Screen Resolution: (3840 x 2160)

Video Settings: (Custom)

Game mode: (Client on Dedi, RWG)

Did you wipe old saves? (Yes)

Did you start a new game? (Yes)

Did you validate your files? (Yes)

Are you using any mods? (No)

EAC on or off? Off

Bug Description: When loading into girlfriends save after about 35 in game days or a week of playing game crashes and won't let me load back into game on my screen but shows I joined on host screen. Pastebin is from the most recent attempt to join.

https://pastebin.com/9vaxNKLx

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1) Join save

2) Play about 35 in game days or roughly a week

3) Try to rejoin game

Actual result: Unable to load into girlfriends server game after about 35 in game days

Expected result: Join game without errors

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Initially the host crashes and so I lose connection, and when trying to rejoin the game this issue begins. I'm unsure if I can find the logs from the initial crash. I wouldn't be able to look till Saturday.

Having the same problem and tried all the above solutions too.  

Deleted all saved, reinstalled, cleaned old game files, restarted my system.  Restarted steam. Ran all updates across my PC. Nothing works.  

Unfortunately power outages that cause corrupted save data is outside of our control.
    That being said, the team is working on a more robust backup system for a future update.

The only thing to do is remove the player data and use admin to give your levels/perks/books/gear back.