• Vide TDR Failure crash when attempting to generate world

NeekotheFoxx
    • Version: a21 b324

Summary: When attempting to generate a new world through Random World Previewer, my computer is crashing with the video_TDR_Failure error. Multiple attempts, each attempt failed.

Game Version: A21 b324

OS/Version: (Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2

CPU Model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz   2.81 GHz

System Memory: 16 GB

GPU Model and VRAM: Nvidia Geoforce GTX 1050

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

Video Settings: Low 

Game mode: singleplayer

Did you wipe old saves? attempted with both 

Did you start a new game? unable

Did you validate your files? yes

Are you using any mods? no

EAC on or off? on

Bug Description: When attempting to create a world using random world previewer, my computer crashes with the error Video_TDR_Failure. I have attempted to do this world generation multiple times. I have tried it after completely uninstalling and deleting all game files and then reinstalling the game, just deleting the roaming folder data, deleting the settings through the launcher tools. I set the preview to none, graphics to low, dynamic mesh off. Pretty much tried it all and can't seem to figure out why I'm getting the crash.

The first two pastebin links are worlds I tried to create that should be identical in every way, seed, percentage of plains vs snow etc. 

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1) start game

2) do to editor tools

3) select random world previewer and attempt to generate a world with no preview

Actual result: game crashes with video tdr failure

Expected result: new world to generate

Link to Pastebin Output Log: https://pastebin.com/4HiuLu3L ; https://pastebin.com/598zkZWV ; most recent attempt: https://pastebin.com/S2MGUGSh

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This is a hardware issue.

Doing a Google search of Video_TDR_Failure shows a wide range of issues/solutions.
    Also searching for the i7-7700HQ shows that to be a laptop processor.

I would suggest the following:

Reinstall Graphics Drivers
    Set power saving setting of PCI Express Link State Power Management to OFF
    Verify that the cooling system is clean and properly working to avoid any overheating issues.

You could even try this guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB2JRcPP9oE

Use all of the above at your own risk. Good Luck!

I have the same exact set up as you do and also get a Video_TDR_Failur every time i try to generate a new map. when it gets to the point of flatting roads my graphics card shoots up from about 20-30% to 100%. after 83 tries(yes i counted) i was able to generate 1 new world map at 6k size graphic card only went up to about 95% that time...

I tried everything from updating drivers, deleting and reinstalling drivers. uninstalling and reinstalling the game ect.

nothing worked....

seems odd since iv never ran into any issues before generating worlds(been playing since a16 on the same computer).

game runs 100% fine other then the world generator.

saw some other people talking about having similar issues when looking into the problem seems to always crash at the flatting roads part of the world generation... dont know if that helps at all.

I believe I've found a solution for laptop users. Simply unplug your power cable while your world is generating. This may result in a longer loading time, but it will prevent the GPU usage from spiking too high, allowing you to enter the game without encountering a blue screen error.