• Stuck on tier 5 quests (Failed tier 6 quest on death)

cloudhero
    • Version: Alpha 21 (b324)

Summary: Stuck on tier 5 quests (Failed tier 6 quest on death)

Game Version: Alpha 21 (b324)

OS/Version: Windows

CPU Model: Intel i9 13900KS

System Memory: 32 GB

GPU Model and VRAM: nVidia GTX 4080  16GB

Screen Resolution: 3840x2160 (16:9)

Video Settings: High

Game mode: SP

Did you wipe old saves? (Yes/No)

No

Did you start a new game? (Yes/No)

No

Did you validate your files? (Yes/No)

Yes

Are you using any mods? (Yes/No)

No

EAC on or off?

off

Bug Description:

Cannot be provided tier 6 quests after failing first tier 6 quest provided by a single trader.

No other quests have been completed by other traders.

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1) Progress and complete quests until assigned first tier 6 quest

2) Start tier 6 quest at location

3) Die at tier 6 quest location, thereby failing the quest

Actual result: (description of what is occurring)

Quest is failed, removed, and no further tier 6 quests will be provided by same trader no matter how many more quests are completed.

Expected result: (what you expect to occur)
    Quest is provided again and able to be completed successfully.

Link to Pastebin Output Log:

https://pastebin.com/EHWtsDUJ

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thank you for reporting.

I was not able to reproduce this issue with the reproduction steps provided.  I was able to accept and start other tier 6 quests after failing the first tier 6 quest I accepted.

Please provide your map information and the location of the trader that you had the issue at.

Your map information is located at,   AppData/Roaming/7DaysToDie/GeneratedWorlds/New Gobozovi County/map_info

Edited by chikorina (see edit history)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <MapInfo>
      <property name="Scale" value="1" />
      <property name="HeightMapSize" value="6144,6144" />
      <property name="Modes" value="Survival,SurvivalSP,SurvivalMP,Creative" />
      <property name="FixedWaterLevel" value="false" />
      <property name="RandomGeneratedWorld" value="true" />
      <property name="GameVersion" value="Alpha.21.0.324" />
      <property name="Generation.Seed" value="@%$#itall" />
      <property name="Generation.Towns" value="Default" />
      <property name="Generation.Wilderness" value="Default" />
      <property name="Generation.Lakes" value="Default" />
      <property name="Generation.Rivers" value="Default" />
      <property name="Generation.Cracks" value="Default" />
      <property name="Generation.Craters" value="Default" />
      <property name="Generation.Plains" value="4" />
      <property name="Generation.Hills" value="4" />
      <property name="Generation.Mountains" value="4" />
      <property name="Generation.Snow" value="4" />
      <property name="Generation.Forest" value="7" />
      <property name="Generation.Desert" value="4" />
      <property name="Generation.Wasteland" value="3" />
    </MapInfo>

Trader coordinates:
    (486.6, 35.1, -1473.8)

If these conditions are not enough to prevent me from receiving tier 6 quests, what possible condition is not being met which would prompt me with new tier 6 quests?

I tried to generate a map using the same seed name and size,  but was unable to generate the "New Gobozovi" map,  so I am not able to check,  but the only reason that I can think of is because you only have one tier 5 POI on your map.

Try going into debug mode,  opening the POI teleporter in your escape menu,  and searching for some tier 5 POIs like the following,

skyscraper_01

skyscraper_02

skyscraper_03

skyscraper_04

prison_01

prison_02

factory_01

factory_02

factory_03

Also,  when you accepted your first tier 6 quest,  were there other tier 6 quests at other POIs to choose from?

I was able to generate the map,  and I see that there are several tier 5 POIs that can be used for tier 6 quests.  Which POI did you choose when you failed your first quest?  I don't see you accepting any tier 6 quests in the output log posted in the report.  I also don't see where you died and failed the quest in the log.

Edited by chikorina (see edit history)

I was not able to reproduce this issue.

- I raised my quest tier to tier 6.
    - There where 4 tier quests to choose from.
    - I accepted one of the tier 6 quests.
    - I died during the tier 6 quest and failed it.
    - I went back to the trader,  and there were three other tier 6 quests left to choose from.

Note that quest activation for POIs have a cooldown of 7 in game days, so you will not be seeing the same exact POI until that cool down has ended.  If you've accepted and failed/completed tier 6 quests for all the tier 5 POIs on the map,  you will not be seeing tier 6 quests until the cool down has ended.

No, when I got my first tier 6 quest, it was just given to me, I do not believe there were any choices to be made.  I can definitely say it's been longer than 7 in-game days since this occurred.

Also, something very weird I just noticed is the trader that I currently have tier 5 quests with appears 4 times on my map navigator (the automatic ones that appear).

As for my log file that I provided, I believe this happened some time ago and the one I provided was the oldest I could provide.  Unfortunately, it seems your logs overwrite each other after a certain number, so I likely don't have the logs of this happening.  I wish I knew about them when it happened.

I'm going to try to complete quests for other traders to see if it actually fixes the problem somehow, or at least works for the other traders.

The only POI locations I see in the debug menu are:
    skyscraper_02

prison_01

factory_03

Completed all tier 1 quests for Trader Rekt.  All quests are now unavailable and there were no tier 2 quests provided.

By no quests available, I mean specifically for Trader Rekt.

It should also be noted that every time I complete a tier 5 quest for Trader Jen, the quest list resets as if I had not completed it and remains a full list of quests to select from.

After doing a little more searching, I found someone encountering this same problem a year ago:

I'm not sure if this is an issue that existed months ago and is simply a result of consistently upgrading the same game file within the last couple patches, but this seems to still be a recent issue.  I definitely reproduced this issue of being stuck on a quest tier sometime last month.

NOTE:  Completing quests for Trader Joel, I managed to naturally progress quest tiers.

An interesting thing now is that I forced the tier increase and now NO quests are available at Trader Jen.  So could it be possible that it just doesn't have any locations for tier 6 quests on the map and that is why it continues the tier 5 loop?

I finally did something that actually progressed the quest tier at Trader Jen.  I completed Tier 2 quests at Trader Bob, which gave me a special quest to go to Trader Jen.  After completing this special quest, I now have access to Tier 6 quests at Trader Jen.

If this is intentional, I cannot stress how insane and confusing this logic is without providing some clear explanation of how this quest system works.