• can't start single Player/ join server, error NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Nerrock

Summary:  After a fresh install on a new pc and hardrive i cant create a single player game or join a friends game.

Game Version: 20.5 b2

Platform: PC

OS/Version: Windows 10

CPU Model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz   3.30 GHz

(Intel i5 9600K / AMD Ryzen 7 1800x / etc)

System Memory:  16 GB

GPU Model and VRAM: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

Video Settings: medium standard settings

Game mode: SP, Mp client, Mp host

Did you wipe old saves?

yes, deleted complete appdata folder

Did you start a new game?

yes

Did you validate your files?

yes

Are you using any mods?

no

EAC on or off?

tried with both

Bug Description:

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1) new game installation on new pc

2) start a game without changing any settings

Actual result:

- with EAC: after world creation the game does not load in or does not try to connect to friends game
    - without EAC:
    was able to start a singleplayer game, after game restart could not continuou and freind could not join and i could not join his game

Shown error: 
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Log EAC:
    https://pastebin.com/2qXBMigm

log without EAC:
    https://pastebin.com/9aCziV20

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thank you for reporting,  and thank you for posting your logs.

I have written an internal ticket for this.   I will post again when I get an answer on the ticket.

Thank you for waiting.  This is the answer I got from a programmer that took a look at the posted log.

It seems that you are trying to join the game through the Steam friends list while the game is still initializing.   They will work on blocking being able to join until the game is ready to join.   For now,  please try launching the game and joining through the server browser.

Also,  it looks like your EOS connections are blocked by something,  most likely your firewall. 

Edited by chikorina (see edit history)

This should be fixed in the current version of the game.

I will move this over to the fixed category.  If you are still having issues in the current build,  let us know.

On 9/9/2022 at 9:29 PM, chikorina said:

This should be fixed in the current version of the game.

I will move this over to the fixed category.  If you are still having issues in the current build,  let us know.

i am having this issue without joining a multiplayer game, i cannot launch a single player game without this error coming up at the creating player portion of the load and i have done all the steps that that this person did as well.

9 hours ago, Gimpy2021 said:

i am having this issue without joining a multiplayer game, i cannot launch a single player game without this error coming up at the creating player portion of the load and i have done all the steps that that this person did as well.

Please first try cleaning up any old data you may have.  Uninstalling and reinstalling the game will not get rid of all the data from previous versions.

Be careful,  because doing this will delete all your save data as well.

Backup any games you wish to save from Appdata and put them somewhere else, like on your desktop. 

After backing up any important save games 

1. Navigate to your main game installation folder
    2. Open the launcher executable
    3. Click Tools, Clean game data, make sure ALL of the boxes are checked as in this picture:unknown.png

Here is a video  by one of the QA staff if you prefer a visual walkthrough (it does cover a bit more).

After that, verify the file integrity TWICE through Steam to ensure it catches any invalid files (sometimes it doesn't do it right on the first try). Three times to be sure.

If you continue to have issues,  please create a new bug report with all the information necessary.