• Vehicle lost on crash

Lightshock

Firstly apologies I don't have log file for this is does not seem to have been generated

Paying alpha 20 the system crashed whilst I was riding a bicycle

On restore and reentering the game on foot and bicycle has disappeared - not in inventory or nearby.

Please investigate if the ownership of a vehicle is recorded anywhere when it is in use (not in inventory or on the ground) so that this issue does not reoccur. 

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Where the player spawns after a crash is different from where the vehicle location was last saved,  and the icon for the vehicle is not displayed on your compass until you are near it.  Try going back in the direction you came from.  When you are near enough,  you should see the vehicle icon on the compass.  I hope you are able to find it.

Confirmed that when the game crashes,  the vehicle gets saved at a different timing from when the player is saved,  so you will see the vehicle icon at a different spot from where it actually is.  Going back towards the direction you came from will either display the yellow vehicle icon of where it actually is,  or place the character on the vehicle.

So the next instalment - I didn't find the bicycle by searching back.

It turns out it was a long way back. Because a few days layer I'm going though the area on a motorbike. Suddenly there is a weird glitch where I jumped location and the motorbike changes into a bicycle. I log out and go back in and the motorbike is back and I can now see the bicycle icon in the locale and indeed it is there. However one unfortunate side effect. All my toolbelt inventory has disappeared. I carn't see how to replicate this and I wish I'd been recording but I wasn't. 

On 2/17/2022 at 12:08 AM, chikorina said:

Confirmed that when the game crashes,  the vehicle gets saved at a different timing from when the player is saved,  so you will see the vehicle icon at a different spot from where it actually is.  Going back towards the direction you came from will either display the yellow vehicle icon of where it actually is,  or place the character on the vehicle.

So the or place the character on the vehicle functionality does not check to see if the character is already on a vehicle with an unfortunate side effect

I have already made a full report of the issue that you are talking about,  with logs, a video, and repro steps.  It is now up to the devs to find the cause and decide on the solution. 

I am sorry that you had to experience the issue,  and it is unfortunate that you lost the items on your toolbelt.  The items being lost is also in my report.  There is no way to get it back  at this point,  so all you would be able to do is replace the items you lost by grabbing them out of the cm menu. 

@chikorina thank you for your work on this - very much appreciated. I'm fine with fixing it via CM menu - it is an alpha after all - just wanted to make sure it got fixed before they go full release as it is game braking.