• "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" in creating character joining a friend local hosted server, followed by "InvalidCastException GameDifficultyBonus" after joining the server

Schnee

Summary: (a short description of the bug)

Game Version: A20

Platform: PC 

OS/Version: Windows

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

System Memory: 16 GB

GPU Model and VRAM: AMD RX 5700XT

Screen Resolution: 2560x1440

Video Settings: Low

Game mode: MP hosted by my friend client

Did you wipe old saves? Yes

Did you start a new game? Yes

Did you validate your files? Yes

Are you using any mods? No

EAC on or off? on

Bug Description: "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" in creating character while joining a friend locally hosted server, followed by "InvalidCastException GameDifficultyBonus" after joining the server 

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1)Join my friend's server

2)Exit the server

3)Re-join the server

Actual result: Up to initializing world, nothing wrong happened, but then when it goes to creating player, console popped up with the red text saying NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object in red, with some other texts following it, the details can be seen in the output logfile. these texts will repeat a couple of times until i managed to enter the server. in which the console will spam InvalidCastException GameDifficultyBonus repeatedly. Another thing i noticed is that my ping is higher, even though it was just fine before. I tried searching for solutions, read that it might be because my character data is corrupted. asked the host to delete it, the same thing happened after i rejoined the server. We thought it might be because the world save file is corrupted, so we made a new world, it still happened. i tried doing a clean reinstall, including deleting the registry key, still happened. asked host to verify, still happening.

Expected result: console not popping out, ping normal.

Output logfile: https://pastebin.com/HXYQWksr

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hi, looks like your friend has either bad files or alterations causing this I would start by having them making sure any mods folders are removed then cleaning up in the same process - then start a new game.

(Do post back if this didn't or did work)

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)