• RWG - Quest Marker Underground

zztong

Summary: (a short description of the bug)

Players sometimes find Quest Markers (the bouncing exclamation point) underground even though the POI has it located on the surface.

My game specs are provided to fill out the form, but do not seem relevant to this report.

Game Version: A20.6 b9
    Platform: PC
    OS/Version: Windows
    CPU Model: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K   3.61 GHz
    System Memory: 32 GB
    GPU Model and VRAM: nVidia GeForce RTX 3060
    Screen Resolution: 3440 x 1440
    Video Settings: High
    Game mode: SP

Did you wipe old saves? Yes
    Did you start a new game? Yes
    Did you validate your files? Yes
    Are you using any mods? Yes - The POI Mod I Develop.
    EAC on or off? On

Bug Description:

Players have reported to me that sometimes (rarely) when a player shows up at a POI to start a quest that they find the Quest Marker underground. In every case, the Quest Marker was placed on the surface when the POI was created. Initially, we thought it was a bug in the game when it placed the Quest Marker, and it still could be, but I've started to suspect it might be that RWG placed the Quest Marker in the wrong spot when it generated the world.

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

Steps in-game to reproduce have been very elusive. I'm going to refer you to a conversation with a player who was experiencing the problem and took a lot of time to try and troubleshoot the issue.

Actual result: (description of what is occurring)

Instead of the Quest Marker appearing where it was placed in the Prefab Editor, it shows underground. Sometimes it is underground in a different location. That alternative location might be based on the rotation of the POI. I suspect the depth of the Quest Marker matches the depth of the POI below ground level.

Expected result: (what you expect to occur)

The Quest Marker should appear where it is placed. It should not sink into the ground.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

A point of clarification: while it is rare that a POI suffers from this problem, when a POI is suffering it always suffers. Based on @Melange's testing it happened every time he had a quest to a specific POI.

As the creator of that POI, I was unable to recreate the problem. I can confirm the Quest Marker is placed on the surface in the POI's files.

Genosis had a video where the same issue happened on the same POI. In Genosis' case, the Quest Marker also appeared behind the POI in a location I suspect was based on rotating the POI twice for placement by RWG.

Okay, so I will 'fill in the blanks' from my end.

Summary: Quest marker (yellow exclamation mark) appears underground

Game Version: A20.6 b9

Platform: Steam

OS/Version: Windows 10

CPU Model: Intel i7 1070H 

System Memory: 32542 MB

GPU Model and VRAM: nVidia RTX3060

Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440

Video Settings: High (custom) - has no impact on bug

Game mode: SP

Did you wipe old saves? No

Did you start a new game? Yes

Did you validate your files? Yes

Are you using any mods? Yes - Apocalypse Now V3.0.6 Stable 

EAC off

Bug Description:

POI zztong_NTT_HQ_01 (location 774.1 | 36.1 | -2320.2). Getting a Tier4 quest from closest Trader (Jen) to clear zombies. Quest marker is underground.

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

Get to Tier4 questing.

1) Accept 'clear zombies' at NTT_HQ_01 POI.  

2) Arrive at POI, quest marker is underground.

3) Use dm, fly down to where HUD indicates quest marker is. Quest marker is not visible.

4) Clear quest from player's queue.

5) Accept same quest from Trader when the quest becomes available again.

6) Return to POI, quest marker still underground, but flying down ~10 blocks the yellow question mark is now visible.

7) Accept quest, clear zombies and get reward from Trader.

8) Later, this quest will be available again from same Trader. The quest marker is shown on the HUD to be below ground (same location as before), but fly underground to where its supposed to be and it is again not visible.

9) Clear quest from player queue.

10) Accept from Trader when the quest becomes available again. The quest marker is visible again underground.

11) Can repeat steps 1 thru 10 as many times as one likes, result is always the same.

Expected result: Quest marker should be visible and accessible at player level on first visit to this POI without having to use dm and quest resets in order to activate the quest.

Pastebin - Pasted to account Melange01:

Melange map_info.xml

Melange output log page 1 of 3.txt

Melange output log page 2 of 3.txt

Melange output log page 3 of 3.txt

Note - I had to break up the output log because it was a long session and I had lost internet connection so EOS logged lots of errors!

Also, my C drive does not contain a file called 'GenerationInfo.txt' - yes I included hidden files in the search. Any idea why that may be?