Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
InfiniteWarrior

InfiniteWarrior

1 hour ago, Scyris said:

the game needs the biomes and entire item system redone to have proper progression

I hear this a lot. As far as difficulty, biome progression was as natural as natural can be in A21. Want a bit more of a challenge? Visit another biome. The notion that biomes need a "progression" overhaul that will place arbitrary limits on players as to which or several biomes they choose to play/stay in, i.e. 1.0, makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would you want to limit player freedom and agency and linearize the biomes that way? There should be no "need" to leave one biome for another, especially in succession, for good and all. I think they had that exactly right from a player agency standpoint in A21 and think it was misguided at best to place such linearity and restrictions on RWG maps in 1.0, of the mind that kind of linearity would better be reserved for the Navezgane map and forthcoming story mode while RWG is kept as freeplay as possible.

As far as any "downward spiral" it's on, that would only be the tug of war between the minority of players determined to "exploit" any system TFP might choose to implement and TFP saying, "Erm, no. You're not going to do that." Obviously, that's resulted in system change after system change in an interminable loop that likely will never end unless TFP shakes the "forest for the trees syndrome" that seems to have developed over the game's decade of development and starts thinking about how players other than min-maxers and determined exploit hunters are playing.

InfiniteWarrior

InfiniteWarrior

51 minutes ago, Scyris said:

the game needs the biomes and entire item system redone to have proper progression

I hear this a lot. As far as difficulty, biome progression was as natural as natural can be in A21. Want a bit more of a challenge? Visit another biome. The notion that biomes need a "progression" overhaul that will place arbitrary limits on players as to which or several biomes they choose to play/stay in, i.e. 1.0, makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would you want to limit player freedom and agency and linearize the biomes that way? There should be no "need" to leave one biome for another, especially in succession, for good and all. I think they had that exactly right from a player agency standpoint in A21, but think it was misguided at best to place such linearity and restrictions on RWG maps in 1.0, of the mind that kind of linearity would better be reserved for the Navezgane map and forthcoming story mode while RWG is kept as freeplay as possible.

As far as any "downward spiral" it's on, that would only be the tug of war between the minority of players determined to "exploit" any system TFP might choose to implement and TFP saying, "Erm, no. You're not going to do that." Obviously, that's resulted in system change after system change in an interminable loop that likely will never end unless TFP shakes the "forest for the trees syndrome" that seems to have developed over the game's decade of development and starts thinking about how players other than min-maxers and determined exploit hunters are playing.

InfiniteWarrior

InfiniteWarrior

32 minutes ago, Scyris said:

I hear this a lot. As far as difficulty, biome progression was as natural as natural can be in A21. Want a bit more of a challenge? Visit another biome. The notion that biomes need a "progression" overhaul that will place arbitrary limits on players as to which or several biomes they choose to play/stay in, i.e. 1.0, makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would you want to limit player freedom and agency and linearize the biomes that way? There should be no "need" to leave one biome for another, especially in succession, for good and all. I think they had that exactly right from a player agency standpoint in A21, but think it's misguided at best to place such linearity and restrictions on RWG maps, of the mind that kind of linearity would better be reserved for the Navezgane map and forthcoming story mode while RWG is kept as freeplay as possible.