Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
treos

treos

On 6/4/2024 at 10:35 AM, BFT2020 said:

So in the end it was an issue on your computer.

And yes, people here were trying to assist you even though you came into the forums accusing TFP of doing something nefarious at the very start of your OP.

If you come into a situation already assuming things are not the issue, you are not being open-minded as fellow gamers talk you through steps to try and root cause the issue....because at the end of day, everyone's situation is different and we are trying to assist based on the information you provided.

well, turns out...it's a Windows problem actually. or maybe programming in general since it turns out this problem can happen to other OS's like linux too!

a little thing known as "zombie processes". and i have absolutely NO means of fixing it on my end and neither do any of you guys because in all my researching it, it seems to be a kernel level issue and i have never allowed ANY kernel level stuff on my pc from any game or other apps.

i didn't think to check for this before because i didn't know it could affect STEAM but apparently it CAN! and this time? this time the game threw a motherfing EGS message at me! that is messed up.

as for the cause of these ghost processes (or rather how they happen)...lemme boot up the game now that i've rebooted and cleared those in pic 2...

ok, note the 3rd pic.

see that parent process on the yellow line? what'll happen is that process will be closed when the game closes BUT the ACTUAL process (the games process) is the child process beneath it and that process remains active as a suspended zombie process.

my pc is clear of malware outside of false positives according to defender and the only way i know of to clear zombie processes is a pc reboot. that's it. there's no other fix that i've come across AT ALL and once a zombie process happens, it's impossible to kill it. it doesn't appear in task manager and no method of manually killing it works even with admin level permission.

also, before you guys jump to any conclusions on this. no, this is not the only game affected. this crap can happen to any game, any app...hell, it even affects uninstallers. those ast few .db files an uninstaller normally deletes at the end of the process? they'll get stuck because the uninstaller or relevant app's zombie process is running and be stuck there till you reboot and manually delete them.

i don't know if anyone knows how to fix this and it's completely outside my realm of knowledge to even attempt to at all.

1.png

2.png

Screenshot 2024-06-05 113715.png

treos

treos

And yes, people here were trying to assist you even though you came into the forums accusing TFP of doing something nefarious at the very start of your OP.

If you come into a situation already assuming things are not the issue, you are not being open-minded as fellow gamers talk you through steps to try and root cause the issue....because at the end of day, everyone's situation is different and we are trying to assist based on the information you provided.

well, turns out...it's a Windows problem actually. or maybe programming in general since it turns out this problem can happen to other OS's like linux too!

a little thing known as "zombie processes". and i have absolutely NO means of fixing it on my end and neither do any of you guys because in all my researching it, it seems to be a kernel level issue and i have never allowed ANY kernel level stuff on my pc from any game or other apps.

i didn't think to check for this before because i didn't know it could affect STEAM but apparently it CAN! and this time? this time the game threw a motherfing EGS message at me! that is messed up.

as for the cause of these ghost processes (or rather how they happen)...lemme boot up the game now that i've rebooted and cleared those in pic 2...

ok, note the 3rd pic.

see that parent process on the yellow line? what'll happen is that process will be closed when the game closes BUT the ACTUAL process (the games process) is the child process beneath it and that process remains active as a suspended zombie process.

my pc is clear of malware outside of false positives according to defender and the only way i know of to clear zombie processes is a pc reboot. that's it. there's no other fix that i've come across AT ALL and once a zombie process happens, it's impossible to kill it. it doesn't appear in task manager and no method of manually killing it works even with admin level permission.

also, before you guys jump to any conclusions on this. no, this is not the only game affected. this crap can happen to any game, any app...hell, it even affects uninstallers. those ast few .db files an uninstaller normally deletes at the end of the process? they'll get stuck because the uninstaller or relevant app's zombie process is running and be stuck there till you reboot and manually delete them.

i don't know if anyone knows how to fix this and it's completely outside my realm of knowledge to even attempt to at all.

edit: no idea what catdaddy is saying. his posts seem to be invisible for me.

1.png

2.png

treos

treos

ok, note the 3rd pic.

1.png

2.png