Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Cr0wst0rm

Cr0wst0rm

remove unrelated quote contents for clarity

On 3/29/2024 at 4:24 AM, faatal said:

Yes, any entity being drawn in the world decreases performance whether dead or alive, so removing them is also good.

Are there any performance options in Unity Engine for skeletal meshes? Is this bound to physics/rendering? In unreal we use frame slicing for our entities based on their distance, maybe this could be used too?

I myself have a fairly beefy pc but the AIs lag so bad even on RTX with 16 gigs (on 64 horde max)... I would say this is more of physics/game logic related rather than the rendering itself?
Like... how much of this stuff is routed through tick managers/separate threads? Do AIs share pathing data (I partially think they do, but that is just a quess)

Were there any tests done with higher numbers of entities?
I would honestly put this as my #1 priority because the gameplay becomes just horribly bad when it comes to massive hordes and it really breaks the immersion for me :(
For example days gone handles this great way, you can have hundreds of them attack you. I mean there is no landscape deformation, the AIs mich have bit simplified collisions/lower freq physics but you have to take into account that the collision cooking in unity is not as bad as it is in unreal engine, so i think with block/landscape changes it should still yield fairly acceptable results.

Cr0wst0rm

Cr0wst0rm

On 3/29/2024 at 4:24 AM, faatal said:

Yes, any entity being drawn in the world decreases performance whether dead or alive, so removing them is also good.

Inside/outside ambient light scaling is already in worldglobal.xml since it was implemented. It is not meant as a simulation of eyes. It was simply to make outside bright and inside dark as ambient light is a global value, so you can't use it to make part of a mesh dark and other part bright. Block ambient occlusion does allow different parts of the mesh at different brightness values, but the implementation had problems and was not fast. The improved version works better.

Are there any performance options in Unity Engine for skeletal meshes? Is this bound to physics/rendering? In unreal we use frame slicing for our entities based on their distance, maybe this could be used too?

I myself have a fairly beefy pc but the AIs lag so bad even on RTX with 16 gigs (on 64 horde max)... I would say this is more of physics/game logic related rather than the rendering itself?
Like... how much of this stuff is routed through tick managers/separate threads? Do AIs share pathing data (I partially think they do, but that is just a quess)

Were there any tests done with higher numbers of entities?
I would honestly put this as my #1 priority because the gameplay becomes just horribly bad when it comes to massive hordes and it really breaks the immersion for me :(
For example days gone handles this great way, you can have hundreds of them attack you. I mean there is no landscape deformation, the AIs mich have bit simplified collisions/lower freq physics but you have to take into account that the collision cooking in unity is not as bad as it is in unreal engine, so i think with block/landscape changes it should still yield fairly acceptable results.