Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
FramFramson

FramFramson

For those looking for a different, and perhaps more sensible start for water-gathering in 7D, this mod shifts early game water sustainment away from the dew collector and instead towards in-world water sources, such as rivers, ponds, culverts, etc. It should also (in theory) encourage exploration and a more active playstyle, and tie you less to the trader.

If you use a bucket to obtain water from water blocks, you now have the option to boil those full buckets of water at the campfire to get clean drinking water. You can get as much water as you can find, carry, and boil! More buckets = more water per trip. Due to limitations on campfire output, the recipe comes out as a bundle; open it to retrieve your bucket and three jars of potable water)

This is supported by several additional changes:

- Buckets have been made far more available at both the traders and more common in loot, with the intent of making them roughly as easy to obtain as cooking pots. Try your luck searching likely places like sinks, garages, janitor's carts, fire trucks, and farms!

- You can obtain water from snow as well, with a recipe for both buckets and cooking pots

- Water Filters have not been removed entirely, but are now a late-game convenience item (still trader-only), they also cost quite a bit more now!

The Helmet Water Purifier mod is unchanged, as that item's balance should remain unaffected by this modlet; as with vanilla, it makes it easy to stay hydrated, but provides no water for other purposes.

Potential changes/additions in future:

- Re-enabling water filters as quest rewards later into the game (Likely T3 & up).

Link: Bang For Your Bucket

A few notes for playtesters:

- The bucket system should take work, but it should also be fairly forgiving and flexible in that you can choose how much time and effort you dedicate to getting water... unless you spawn in a desert of course! It might be mildly tedious early, but once you get multiple buckets things should ease up, since even one boiled bucket will give as much water as a dew collector would in a full day.

- As mentioned, buckets should be fairly common, so please let me know if they're significantly harder to get than cooking pots.

Changelog:

- Updated to v1.1 - Corrected several errors, and added two snow-to-water recipes (one with a bucket and one with a cooking pot)

FramFramson

FramFramson

For those looking for a different, and perhaps more sensible start for water-gathering in 7D, I've put together a mod which shifts early game sustainable water supply away from the water purifier and dew collector and instead towards in-world water sources, like rivers, ponds, drainage ditches, etc.

Basically, you use buckets to obtain water normally but you can now boil full buckets of water at the campfire to get clean drinking water (due to limitations on campfire output, the recipe comes out as a bundle; open it to retrieve your bucket and three jars of potable water). You can get as much water as you can find, carry, and boil! More buckets = more water per trip. This should (in theory) also encourage exploration and active play, tying you less to the trader in the early game since you won't be desperately trying to scrape up enough dukes to buy filters.

Buckets have been made far more available at both the traders (they should always have 1-3, like cooking pots & grills), and more common in loot. Hot spots to look for them are places like sinks, garages, janitor's carts, fire trucks, and farms (pig troughs and farm trucks). Overall the intention is to make them roughly as easy to obtain as cooking pots.

Water Filters have not been removed entirely, but are now a late-game convenience item, not appearing in trader inventories until much later, and at a significantly higher price. On the other hand you get to save more precious early-game dukes for bullets or what have you.

I will not be touching the Helmet Water Purifier mod, as that item's balance should remain unaffected by this modlet (Same as with vanilla: it makes it easy to stay hydrated, but provides no water for other purposes).

Potential additions:

- Re-enabling water filters as quest rewards later into the game (Likely T3 & up).

- The bucket system should take work, but it should also be fairly forgiving and flexible in that you can choose how much time and effort you dedicate to getting water... unless you spawn in a desert of course! It might be mildly tedious early, but once you get multiple buckets things should ease up, since even one boiled bucket will give as much water as a dew collector would in a full day.

- As mentioned buckets should be fairly common, so please let me know if they're significantly harder to get than cooking pots.

- I'm not 100% sure I got the code to remove the T1 quest reward filters right, so please let me know if you're still seeing water filters in T1 quest rewards at all.

Edit: Updated to 1.1 version. Corrected several errors, and added two snow-to-water recipes (one with a bucket and one with a cooking pot)

FramFramson

FramFramson

For those looking for a different, and perhaps more sensible start for water-gathering in 7D, I've put together a mod which shifts early game sustainable water supply away from the water purifier and dew collector and instead towards in-world water sources, like rivers, ponds, drainage ditches, etc.

Basically, you use buckets to obtain water normally but you can now boil full buckets of water at the campfire to get clean drinking water (due to limitations on campfire output, the recipe comes out as a bundle; open it to retrieve your bucket and three jars of potable water). You can get as much water as you can find, carry, and boil! More buckets = more water per trip. This should (in theory) also encourage exploration and active play, tying you less to the trader in the early game since you won't be desperately trying to scrape up enough dukes to buy filters.

Buckets have been made far more available at both the traders (they should always have 1-3, like cooking pots & grills), and more common in loot. Hot spots to look for them are places like sinks, garages, janitor's carts, fire trucks, and farms (pig troughs and farm trucks). Overall the intention is to make them roughly as easy to obtain as cooking pots.

Water Filters have not been removed entirely, but are now a late-game convenience item, not appearing in trader inventories until much later, and at a significantly higher price. On the other hand you get to save more precious early-game dukes for bullets or what have you.

I will not be touching the Helmet Water Purifier mod, as that item's balance should remain unaffected by this modlet (Same as with vanilla: it makes it easy to stay hydrated, but provides no water for other purposes).

Potential additions:

- Adding a campfire recipe for "snowballs (around 9-12) + empty bucket = regular (i.e. dirty) water bucket". Downside is you have to melt then put it right back on to boil, so you're cooking twice, but I think the upside of allowing snow as a water source is fairly obvious, so there needs to be SOME tradeoff. Not entirely sure if it would make things too easy, but it's probably okay? What do you think?

- As mentioned buckets should be fairly common, so please let me know if they're significantly harder to get than cooking pots.

- I'm not 100% sure I got the code to remove the T1 quest reward filters right, so please let me know if you're still seeing water filters in T1 quest rewards at all.

FramFramson

FramFramson

Potential additions:

- Adding a campfire recipe for "snowballs (around 9-12) + empty bucket = regular (i.e. dirty) water bucket". Downside is you have to melt then put it right back on to boil, so you're cooking twice, but I think the upside of allowing snow as a water source is fairly obvious, so there needs to be SOME tradeoff. Not entirely sure if it would make things too easy, but it's probably okay? Give me feedback!

FramFramson

FramFramson

Basically, you use buckets to obtain water normally but you can now boil full buckets of water at the campfire to get clean drinking water (due to limitations on campfire output, the recipe comes out as a bundle; open it to retrieve your bucket and three jars of potable water). You can get as much water as you can find, carry, and boil! More buckets = more water per trip.

Potential additions:

- Adding a campfire recipe for "snowballs (around 9-12) + empty bucket = regular (i.e. dirty) water bucket". Downside is you have to melt then put it right back on to boil, so you're cooking twice, but I think the upside of allowing snow as a water source is fairly obvious, so there needs to be SOME tradeoff. Not entirely sure if it would make things too easy, but it's probably okay? Give me feedback!

FramFramson

FramFramson

Basically, you use buckets to obtain water normally but you can now boil full buckets of water at the campfire to get clean drinking water (due to limitations on campfire output, the recipe comes out as a bundle; open it to retrieve your bucket and three jars of potable water). You can get as much water as you can find, carry, and boil! More buckets = more water per trip.

Buckets have been made far more available at both the traders (they should always have 1-3, like cooking pots & grills), and more common in loot. Hot spots to look for them are places like sinks, garages, janitor's carts, fire trucks, and farms (pig troughs and farm trucks). Overall the intention is to make them about as available as cooking pots.

Potential additions:

- Adding a campfire recipe for "snowballs (around 9-12) + empty bucket = regular (i.e. dirty) water bucket". Downside is you have to melt then put it right back on to boil, so you're cooking twice, but I think the upside of allowing snow as a water source is fairly obvious, so there needs to be SOME tradeoff.

- The bucket system should take work, but it should also be fairly forgiving and flexible in that you can choose how much time and effort you dedicate to getting water - unless you spawn in a desert of course. It might be tedious early, but once you get multiple buckets things should ease up, since even one boiled bucket will give as much water as a dew collector would in a full day.