Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
FramFramson

FramFramson

On 10/3/2023 at 5:00 PM, Riamus said:

I haven't read beyond the first post, so this may have already been noted by someone, but needing to carry a variety of parts with you just so you can repair when you aren't at your base would be a pain.  Say you have 3 items plus armor that need repair kits (we won't count vehicles since they don't really have parts).  This means you need to carry repair kits and 3 different parts for the items and another stack for armor.  That is five stacks of inventory space you lose instead of one for the repair kits.  Unless they made a special "bag" for repair kits and parts or increased your inventory space by another row, it just isn't a great option.

Besides, there are a lot of things that I don't need late game, or at all, so the fact you don't need the parts isn't really unusual.

I would be fine with repair kits requiring *any* one part to create, though.  It would use up parts you don't need without requiring extra inventory space.  Of course, the game currently doesn't offer an option to use a choice of items in a recipe.

Up above I suggested having a special item referred to as "Spare parts" you could scrap any one gun or tool part 1:1 at a workbench for them and they would be a third required component for repair kits. So basically what you're suggesting is very possible, you just need an intermediate step. Maybe a different term than Spare Parts? 'Machined parts', seems like it accurately describes the fact that you can't easily remake them and that they're a product of The Before Times?

Is it unrealistic? Well it's not great, but it's sure better than everything being repairable by a lump of iron and a roll of duct tape, even if you very generously assume the iron's been forged into specific shapes and not just an ingot.

There's the issue of vehicles, which must also be repaired, but maybe engines could scrap for 2-4 Machined parts. And you could add machined parts as rare finds in the world where appropriate.

Icon could maybe be mostly fasteners (screws, bolts) and some generic tooled shapes (square block with circular hole, brackets), maybe a small spool of wire, to give them a distinctly different flavour than mechanical parts and an ambiguous position between those and electrical parts.

FramFramson

FramFramson

I haven't read beyond the first post, so this may have already been noted by someone, but needing to carry a variety of parts with you just so you can repair when you aren't at your base would be a pain.  Say you have 3 items plus armor that need repair kits (we won't count vehicles since they don't really have parts).  This means you need to carry repair kits and 3 different parts for the items and another stack for armor.  That is five stacks of inventory space you lose instead of one for the repair kits.  Unless they made a special "bag" for repair kits and parts or increased your inventory space by another row, it just isn't a great option.

Besides, there are a lot of things that I don't need late game, or at all, so the fact you don't need the parts isn't really unusual.

I would be fine with repair kits requiring *any* one part to create, though.  It would use up parts you don't need without requiring extra inventory space.  Of course, the game currently doesn't offer an option to use a choice of items in a recipe.

Up above I suggested having a special item referred to as "Spare parts" you could scrap any one gun or tool part 1:1 at a workbench for them and they would be a third required component for repair kits. So basically what you're suggesting is very possible, you just need an intermediate step. Maybe a different term than Spare Parts? 'Machined parts', seems like it accurately describes the fact that you can't easily remake them and that they're a product of The Before Times?

Is it unrealistic? Well it's not great, but it's sure better than everything being repairable by a lump of iron and a roll of duct tape, even if you very generously assume the iron's been forged into specific shapes and not just an ingot.

There's the issue of vehicles, which must also be repaired, but maybe engines could scrap for 2-4 Machined parts. And you could add machined parts as rare finds in the world where appropriate.

Icon could maybe be mostly fasteners (screws, bolts) and some generic tooled shapes (square block with circular hole, brackets), to give them a distinctly different flavour than mechanical parts.

FramFramson

FramFramson

FramFramson

FramFramson

Up above I suggested having a special item referred to as "Spare parts" you could scrap any one gun or tool part 1:1 for them and they would be a third required component for repair kits. So basically what you're suggesting is very possible, you just need an intermediate step. Maybe a different term than Spare Parts? 'Machined parts', seems like it accurately describes the fact that you can't easily remake them and that they're a product of The Before Times?

FramFramson

FramFramson

Up above I suggested having a special item referred to as "Spare parts" you could scrap any one gun or tool part 1:1 for them and they would be a third required component for repair kits. So basically what you're suggesting is very possible, you just need an intermediate step. Maybe a different term than Spare Parts? 'Machined parts', seems like it accurately describes the fact that you can't easily remake them and that they're a product of The Before Times?

FramFramson

FramFramson