Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Crashtian

Crashtian

27 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

That is how it already works now, the timer is reset, but not completely, just to the last quarter and restarts from there every try.

It is fine imo, a complete timer reset would be a pain in the a especially for the bigger safes and reinforced chests with 20s timer.

A failed pick should not break the pick every time, I agree there (maybe 50% would be nice?)

But you can raise the chance of succes in lockpicking, which in the end is identical to reducing your chance of the picks breaking (don't quite remember if it's a book or a perk or both, cause I don't spec into this)

I don't really know about this. I mean I have not tried this, just watched a lot of the funny vids of e.g. thelockpickinglawyer, and yes it seems simple and a pick never breaks, but really, those flimsy picks will surely break very easy if you do it wrong or are too impatient or whatever. You have experience with this or just guessing?

Btw I'm curious how DF will feel in this context, as Khaine imposes you the choice of picking it for the full loot, and breaking it open but with a reduced loot (like some stuff breaks inside when you brutally crack it open). Makes sense to me, but yet I'm not quite sure how I like it.

After doing a bit more looking things up, it does seem lockpicks CAN break, but it doesn't happen often. I imagine one would have to be going pretty heavy handed. It's just funny how video games tend to portray lock picks like they are made out of a thin rod of glass.

But hey, it's not real life, So overall it doesn't matter. I just agree the mechanic is... boring and frustrating as is, to a point where even if I were to lose loot as is suggested for the DF mod, I'm still using my "lock pick" instead, which consists of a bashing tool and the paperweight on my desk resting on my mouse. Personally I would prefer a mini-game style but it's pretty clear a lot of people don't really want that either. I just rather feel like I have some control over the breaking a pick instead of just watching 10 go down the drain at the 5s mark.

Crashtian

Crashtian

7 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

That is how it already works now, the timer is reset, but not completely, just to the last quarter and restarts from there every try.

It is fine imo, a complete timer reset would be a pain in the a especially for the bigger safes and reinforced chests with 20s timer.

A failed pick should not break the pick every time, I agree there (maybe 50% would be nice?)

But you can raise the chance of succes in lockpicking, which in the end is identical to reducing your chance of the picks breaking (don't quite remember if it's a book or a perk or both, cause I don't spec into this)

I don't really know about this. I mean I have not tried this, just watched a lot of the funny vids of e.g. thelockpickinglawyer, and yes it seems simple and a pick never breaks, but really, those flimsy picks will surely break very easy if you do it wrong or are too impatient or whatever. You have experience with this or just guessing?

Btw I'm curious how DF will feel in this context, as Khaine imposes you the choice of picking it for the full loot, and breaking it open but with a reduced loot (like some stuff breaks inside when you brutally crack it open). Makes sense to me, but yet I'm not quite sure how I like it.

After doing a bit more looking things up, it does seem lockpicks CAN break, but it doesn't happen often. I imagine one would have to be going pretty heavy handed. It's just funny how video games tend to portray lock picks like they are made out of a thin rod of glass.

But hey, it's not real life, So overall it doesn't matter. I just agree the mechanic is... boring and frustrating as is, to a point where even if I were to lose loot as is suggested for the DF mod, I'm still using my "lock pick" instead, which consists of a bashing tool and the paperweight on my desk resting on my mouse. Personally I would prefer a mini-game style but it's pretty clear a lot of people don't really want that either. I just rather feel like I have some control over the breaking a pick instead of just watching 10 go down the drain at the 5s mark.