Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
RStarphoenix

RStarphoenix

My theory about the lighting situation in this game made me think about another Unity-based game i play (you might know it) called Escape From Tarkov.

There are weird moments when I play Tarkov that the lights effectively go OUT for no reason.
When I saw this in 7 Days i realized they used the same lighting system Tarkov did, probably due to the Unity build the game is on.

I believe it has to do with the actual lighting system the build of Unity uses. It just blacks out for no reason when you cross a threshold in the game instead of adjust it variably to not go dark as fast. Also factoring in the way the voxel works where the blocks have a 0 or 255 opacity (basically yes and no if light passes through) and you can even stand by an open window and be in total darkness (happens in Tarkov as well despite them not being voxel based).

Also add in weather effects (which reduces the gamma in the game) and it only worses. Everyone's biggest gripe in Tarkov is the rain (too dark inside of buildings and too noisy (that 2nd part isn't relevant here)). Unless there is some other lighting model or system they can use, we'll just be forced to slog through it.

Thankfully they at least give us a torch off the rip to help with that problem.

RStarphoenix

RStarphoenix

My theory about the lighting situation in this game made me think about another Unity-based game i play (you might know it) called Escape From Tarkov.

There are weird moments when I play Tarkov that the lights effectively go OUT for no reason.
When I saw this in 7 Days i realized they used the same lighting system Tarkov did, probably due to the Unity build the game is on.

I believe it has to do with the actual lighting system the build of Unity uses. It just blacks out for no reason when you cross a threshold in the game instead of adjust it variably to not go dark as fast. Also factoring in the way the voxel works where the blocks have a 0 or 255 opacity (basically yes and no if light passes through) and you can even stand by an open window and be in total darkness (in both games).

Also add in weather effects (which reduces the gamma in the game) and it only worses. Everyone's biggest gripe in Tarkov is the rain (too dark inside of buildings and too noisy (that 2nd part isn't relevant here)). Unless there is some other lighting model or system they can use, we'll just be forced to slog through it.

Thankfully they at least give us a torch off the rip to help with that problem.