Editing Models and/or Textures

I'm quite confused here... I just recently started working on a project regarding a custom map, and am starting with POIs and Prefabs until Teragon is released. So far, I am focused on the city tiles such as roads (replacing the road lines with proper yellow lines down the middle, changing the awkward road exit caps where the map's highways enter a town, etc). One thing I want to add to this is new signage (add more variety in road names, different highways, and different city distance signs, as well as more warning signs for things like upcoming turns and intersections). I hit a bit of a brick wall, though. All of my signs should be able to share the same properties as existing signs; the warning signs are essentially retextures of the existing yellow "Slow" sign, road names would be based on the existing road name signs, and so on, but there doesn't seem to be ANY form of model or texture file for ANY of these signs anywhere in the game's file! How does one accomplish the simple task of adding more textures for existing assets? I don't want to replace any textures, but rather only add more.

I've made some progress with the Prefab Editor, changing how the various tiles look. They flow much better! I changed the center lines on all the commercial, downtown, urban residential, country town, and started on industrial. I also changed a few parts on the commercial zones where the road goes from 2 lane to 4 lane by having another side road curve in. These spots have the straight road go from two-way to one-way with no opportunity to get across the median. I fixed these spots.

Here is the default roads still on a tile I have yet to get around to, where you can see white dashed lines between opposing lanes (in the US, including Arizona, this denotes a one-way road, but the intersections and signage clearly indicate two-way traffic on these roads)

Spoiler

spacer.png

A residential district with new edits:

Spoiler

spacer.png

A downtown district, looking like a classic American town that's seen better days:

Spoiler

spacer.png

A crossover merge where the road doubles in width thanks to a nearby road merging in at a commercial area:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Probably my favorite part of this so far is changing how the rural highway enters town. By default, this is always done at a T-junction, where the rural highway runs by the edge of town (usually looping around back onto itself for no reason). With my edits, the rural highway flows directly into the town's roads.

Spoiler

spacer.png

One thing I want some new signage for is being able to have more variety on these distance signs, as well as warning signs. I'm hopping Teragon will allow direct modification of which tiles a given city might use and where, as I would be able to make more of these exit districts with different kinds of signage based on where that road is going. It will hopefully also allow for having multiple exits to each city.

Spoiler

spacer.png

If anyone can help me figure out this signage situation, I'd very much appreciate it!
I marked the screenshots as spoiler, because they might be a bit large (I just hit screenshot and uploaded that to imgur).

Edited by bobgrey1997 (see edit history)