Food and stamina challenge makes the perks attractive

konrax

Title pretty much covers it, I see lots of complaints about food/water consumption rates and stamina drain, and my conclusion is that it makes wanting to spend some points on perks to help attractive.

If these things were nothing but a formality in the game, those perks designed to help would have little or no value and everyone would ignore them.

If you are tired of running out of food constantly, buy a perk and delay getting that next perception level instead.

Overall I like that they made food and water relevant again.

Well I guess that depends on your threshold.

If you view stamina as a QoL then you might "want" the perks.

If you feel starting stamina is below accaprable levels the perks might feel more mandatory.

Personally I rather have fullness/food drain to be incorporated into recipies. Better food keeps you full longer. And also cooking books as loot.

#makelootgreatagain

I'm a bit ambivalent about it. It seems you have to eat a lot now, but being able to counter that with a perk works for me.

What I don't like is the max stamina damage you take. Max stamina going down as you get hungry, fine, but why not start it at 75% hunger instead of 100%. Tie that into the perk somehow and I'd give them a "Well done".

I'm happy with the food situation, as konrax said, to me the perk I would intentionally avoid and my farm of 5 of each type of crop and only 2 levels in living off the land kept me fed before the nerf, now food is a real threat again and yeah early game is harsh but we gotta get out of the habit of RUNNING everywhere and enjoy the new and faster walking speed which will conserve that early game drain. Bacon and eggs are easy to make once you have a cooking pot and they provide a rather decent amount fullness.

Edit: being able to over eat and drink again would be a good step in the right direction.

That's a nice addition and could be easily added, and would give value to perks for higher level food crafting. Could add a Hearty Meal buff that reduces how quickly your hunger goes down after eating it.

I like it, but my point is still valid, if it wasn't difficult or challenging it would make the perks useless. With even 2-3 levels in slow metabolism food becomes so much easier to deal with.

Overall I like that they made food and water relevant again.

I want food to matter too but I still don't want to go in my inv and eat every two minutes, it's annoying.

The solution would have been lower food drops. I has so many cans I didn't touch the meat I had gathered.

Lowering food drops or at least their stacks they come in might be useful. I've had a few games now where I had to eat a few old sham sandwiches to survive bc I couldn't find any food at all.

The rate that it drains now is a bit much, but if they were to allow higher tier foods to give a buff like mentioned above it would go a long way I think.

Been grinding my gears on this hunger issue, here's the problem.

Time. As is now I was at around 50 stamina by noon and had already eaten my chilli. How am I supposed to do anything about my hunger on day one with 50 stamina? I can't run more than a few steps like that and that only drains it further. Most points of interest take quite some time to clear now and there's no guarantee that you will find food in there, a can or two wont cut it because my guy can eat a horse a day.

So here I am running around on day one..half dead..taking a few steps at a time and getting nowhere. I need a place to sleep, need a pot because I'm dying of thirst after half a day as well and yes this was a bad start which can happen but even with a good start we still have the annoying bit of having to eat every two minutes not to mention the now very precious inventory space needed to carry said horse for my daily consumption.

I should START getting hungry by noon and need to eat. I should be hungry again in the evening and then again in the morning maybe. Food should be harder to get, you should need a day a week to hunt and gather food, maybe two. We should need to farm in order to prevent having to invest those days in late game. Animals (large ones at least) should be pretty rare so that when you see one you can't pass it up and it should feed you at least 2 or 3 days.

Getting this hunger system right is very difficult. Should use this thread or a new one where everyone throws in their ideas on the whole hinger system, I've seen a few good ideas already about slow starvation, can't remember where but I'm sure we can help them along with some ideas. It's a hell of a job.

Problem: You had a perk that didn't quite work.

Solution: Create a problem to make the perk viable.

This is pretty much it...Creating problem for need of a solution. Which I get what they are trying to do making a bunch of changes to make the perks more worth buying.

But it is a question of balance and where to draw the line. The balance should be, base player has a few inconveniences and the perks take the edge off to the point that you fairly rarely have to worry about the problem once maxed, not base player is almost completely incapable and the perks are practically necessary to stop the game from being tedious. The place hunger was at last patch was awful, .011 points per stamina regened with 21 stamina per fireaxe swing meant 50 swings takes you down 11.55% hunger. And even with max metabolism perk, it was still 0.001 higher than BASE food consumption the patch before it - you literally had to max the perk to be at about the same place you were without any points the prior patch. That's just too much. They knew this and quickly patched it to .0068 which more reasonable. For comparison it was .006 when A17 first released.

IMO I agree I would prefer the solution just have been that food consumption is slightly slower but food itself is more rare. Food would matter more and you wouldn't be stockpiling it, but you also wouldn't be needing to keep precious inventory spaces filled with food and eat 5+ times a day like last patch.

Archived