Status of nightvision goggles?

Skeeter63082

I know this has been an ongoing issue, but somewhere between b231 and b233 nightvision goggles have went from "need more work" to completely nonexistent in patch notes. Not sure if this is an oversight or if they are planning on removing them from the game and doing so in a stealthy way.

I know...I know, NVGs are extremely OP when working correctly, but truthfully their drop rate has been reduced DRAMATICALLY since body looting them off of military zombies, which used to be seemingly about a 1/10 or so chance, has been practically eliminated, and chance of finding them in other loot containers has always traditionally been low. I don't mind them being pretty rare since having them in a correctly working format can really level the playing field while looting at night. For that they SHOULD be rare.

That being said, I'm curious as to the status of NVGs in the game. I haven't found a set since the first build of A17, so I honestly can't speak to how well they are working now.

Roland (or any other available mod), you got any insight on this?

They seemed to work fine in the previous build (from the broken state in the build previous), different look to them tho when active.

Have not used them in the latest build.

Good to know. It was never listed under the "Changes" or "Fixed" section of b233 which is where you stopped seeing updates about them. Possibly just an oversight with everything going on. I'm sure devs are pressed hard to get patch notes together quickly before a new build and mods are just as pressed to get them out to us in a timely fashion.

They are kind of working now. But yeah they still need work. You still get huge areas of blackness where they simply do not work - I think it is actual shadows that are not displaying correctly and just appear jet black, and they also lack the slight "fuzzy" look they had in A16 which made it look like you were watching a feed on a monitor kind of effect.

They are kind of working now. But yeah they still need work. You still get huge areas of blackness where they simply do not work - I think it is actual shadows that are not displaying correctly and just appear jet black, and they also lack the slight "fuzzy" look they had in A16 which made it look like you were watching a feed on a monitor kind of effect.

Beside getting them working...

It would be nice to have then "get fuzzy" as their endurance degrades...

Yeah I was going to say something like this.

That's the experience I got as well.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if there is a way to get rid of the circle so the edges are not blacked out of the NVG?

I don't understand the reason for it... it's a totally stupid design choice, because our own monitors already restrict the view too much unless you have 3 screens... and we are not all rich like TFP's. It makes the NVG totally useless to me.

If i "comment" all or some of this out...

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfItemActivate" action="AttachPrefabToEntity" prefab="ScreenEffects/DeferredNV/NVGLight" parent_transform="CameraNode">

<requirement name="IsFPV"/>

</triggered_effect>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfItemDeactivate" action="RemovePrefabFromEntity" parent_transform="CameraNode" prefab="ScreenEffects/DeferredNV/NVGLight">

</triggered_effect>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfEquipStop" action="RemovePrefabFromEntity" parent_transform="CameraNode" prefab="ScreenEffects/DeferredNV/NVGLight">

Might that work?

They DO NOT work. When A17e first arrived, they worked perfectly...too perfectly. I'd often forget to take the off during the day I was so used to the enhanced vision they provided. Sure, they needed a gentle tap with the nerfbat.

Currently, if you turn then on/off/on/off/on/off you'll be able to see exactly the same things. Sure, there's a nice bright green sky when they're on, but pay careful attention to things you can ~barely~ see when they are OFF. When you turn them ON you will not be able to see those things any better, and you'll certainly not be able to see anything new with them on.

Unless you just LOVE green, and an obstructed field of view, then sell these until they're fixed.

-Morloc

Maybe it's the difference between graphics card brands /types?

The view is restricted AF on mine tho so they are still useless, however they do actually work.

I have an nvidia 2070RTX 8gig, do you have nvida or AMD?

I also have an AMD RX480 8gig, i can test and see if they work or not... ?

I just go into the item_modifiers.xml and items.xml and modify the mining helm/helmit light mods light value from 0.7 to 0.001, this makes the light invisible to zombies entirely and it won't effect stealth. I prefer that then being stuck staring at everything in a green hue.

Hmmm HP, that looks pretty sweet. It's a lot like they were in 17.e; just with the masking. The difference near the workbench is pretty clear. To be 100% honest, I'm 2nd guessing myself as to whether I've tried them since build 9.

-Morloc

I wish they remove the tunnel-vision.

It looks stylish but if you play the whole night with it, the "tunnel" is stress for the eyes.

And please, devs, the Green is too Green! Please soften it a bit.

The night-vision in 16.4 was well done. Things that work should not be fixed.

I wish they remove the tunnel-vision.

It looks stylish but if you play the whole night with it, the "tunnel" is stress for the eyes.

And please, devs, the Green is too Green! Please soften it a bit.

The night-vision in 16.4 was well done. Things that work should not be fixed.

I think you and I are remembering it differently. The night vision in 16.4 was so grainy that I could actually see better without them.

Archived