More trader nerfs in B238

Slingblade2040

Modded items getting into the trader loot was kind of a bug so we removed it. We will add it back when we have some means of controlling it. I'm buffing the xp and dukes right now, it is crap. The hard thing to do is players can craft guns so we can't have them getting rich selling pink guns. That is part of the reason I increased the parts requirements for guns so people can't get super rich crafting.

is it possible to set a max value trader pay for Weapons and tools ?

How are we supposed to earn dukes then, if not crafting.

I increased quest rewards x5 on xp and x3 on the duke reward (b241) so there is that. There is always mining for gold and silver which is still pretty valuable. My plan is to play after stable for quite some time and keep patching balance changes. Like you should be able to make a living being a miner or blacksmith, or lumberjack, etc.

At this point I wouldn't mind the addition of Rare Relics that the trader will buy. The don't scrap to anything valuable, but if you get them to a trader they'll pay good coin for it. 1-2k dukes maybe?

Diversification of how to get dukes and not having just "the main way" of getting them, is good.

I was thinking this too. I could just make some rare trophy you can scrap... or sell for like 1200 dukes. A pain to carry, but hey I never use those perk books gazz made and they only sell for 100 dukes, so I carry them around.

It was really OP dude. If you bought the perks you would know. If you advance in the quest tiers the loot gets really good. Wait until you have a bicycle to start working for the traders.

At what level did it become OP? This whole trader thing bugs me since it was an alternative to help SP level up and SP seems to be getting hit harder with the nerfs than MP. I was fine with gun nerf sale prices since we could craft them so it was understandable and we could always sell resources or bullets. Doing Tier 1 which I consider beginner quests for the trader were also an alternative for me, yeah the distance was annoying but I didn't mind that much until the recent food and water issues became a problem. I can agree with the higher tier trader quests needing the player to have some mode of transportation but not the Tier 1 quests..hell I'm fine if you remove the items from Tier 1 trader quests and just have it give a little more exp, dukes and the quests for tier 1 be somewhat close like 600m - 1 km from the trader.

The hard thing to do is players can craft guns so we can't have them getting rich selling pink guns. That is part of the reason I increased the parts requirements for guns so people can't get super rich crafting.

Since the weapon prices are now nerfed below oblivion, and none can get rich on making guns, does that means

the parts requirement will be reduced?

“Stop changing systems and pick one”

“Change more slowly!”

“The game is currently unplayable”

Do you know who will never ever complain about this stuff? People who buy the final version. They’ll never know the zigs and zags we saw. I’m not talking about not giving feedback about the game. I’m talking about an intolerance for getting this chance to step behind the curtain.

I have played a lot of early access games that are early access in name only. They aren’t REALLY going through the raw development process in view of their customers. They just have an already pretty much finalized game they are updating and when their game “goes gold” there really is no difference. The updates after 1.0 feel the same as the ones before when the game was supposedly still being designed.

7 Days development is the real deal. They were being honest when they said their game is a work in progress. They also take experimental seriously.

If you want the equivalent of DLC updates to an already finished game then put it away until the notification comes that it’s done. Otherwise buckle up and enjoy the ride for what it is. Every update is amazing to me how the changes affect the overall game. They aren’t all good but the process is definitely interesting to participate in if you have the stomach for it.

Unfortunately, we're only getting a small glimpse at the development process. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I feel a lot of complaints stem from people not understanding the actual development process. I personally do, so when I come to the forum with a critisism, it'll typically be with a proposed solution or at least a "what I feel should have happened vs what actually happened" input. I've learned in my years of project development, prototype integration, and design implimentation that it does not good to complain without at least the idea for a solution. I wish most people who participate in Early Access games had that same mentality because it would absolutely make for a more constructive environment where we all felt like we were contributing to the end goal.

Modded items getting into the trader loot was kind of a bug so we removed it. We will add it back when we have some means of controlling it. I'm buffing the xp and dukes right now, it is crap. The hard thing to do is players can craft guns so we can't have them getting rich selling pink guns. That is part of the reason I increased the parts requirements for guns so people can't get super rich crafting.

I see a potential work around here. Simply code in a tag that gets put on player made guns. Doesn't have to be anything displayed, but it would help if it was. Then just reduce the trader value of so tagged guns by 75%. Elegant fix. Found guns maintain value while people aren't making hundreds of thousands of dukes every trader cycle from selling crafted guns. Also, I don't mind the relatively high cost of crafting a gun. You're making a damn gun, possibly one of the most OP things you can now craft in the game. It should be a resource drain.

Since the weapon prices are now nerfed below oblivion, and none can get rich on making guns, does that means

the parts requirement will be reduced?

Hahaha that's a fair question Kat.

I'd like an answer to that as well.

I know balancing economies is hard so I'm not going to get upset if it takes many tries for TFP to get it right.

I do, however, support feedback when something like this comes up.

Good question.

I increased quest rewards x5 on xp and x3 on the duke reward (b241) so there is that. There is always mining for gold and silver which is still pretty valuable. My plan is to play after stable for quite some time and keep patching balance changes. Like you should be able to make a living being a miner or blacksmith, or lumberjack, etc.

So my t1 quests will give around 5k xp and 750 dukes? Much better. Thanks mm

Adding my two cents:

-Quest give a fair amount of dukes, Level 5 items are expensive for a good reason, you just have to buy them once and repair them often.

Selling Items should be more viable though, finding a 4x4 chassis on level 5 and only getting a few bucks is anoying, looting/repairing/crafting/selling high value item should be a viable economic strategy, but shouldn't be "farmable".

-Experience from quest should be somewhat better for underleveled players wanting to sneak through a tier 3 dungeon and get away with the loot without causing much trouble.

-Lastly, on a practical side, after spending 3 days questing, my 4 player party earns roughly 10k dukes and uses it to buy mostly ammo or thier required components. It seems, Traders doesn't replenish them fast enough (if they do at all ?) to survive large 7th day waves: maybe rising ammo prices, but making them available in high quantity, would balance the thing out.

I wonder if adding a new quest line that would simply request a large amount of a certain resource.

Teir one could simply be, "A nearby survivor camp has requested X amount of lumber for reinforcing their walls. They will gladly pay X amount of dukes for the delivery."

Higher tiers could obviously offer higher rewards, but possibly ask for one or more stacks of materials. The amounts/types of resources requested and the rewards could be easily balanced.

Could even have the traders have a small chance to offer a one time payment for a large stack of resources in a short time frame.

"Trader Bob over the way, suffered a wall breach and is offering a large sum for X amount of forged iron to patch the hole. But only if he can get it within the next X amount of hours."

Actually playing B240 now with default except for 90min days. Day 9 now. Money comes mostly from quests. First visit to the trader (on day 3 I think) I just bought some forged iron and 2 forged steel. Some time around day 7, after some quests (less than 1 per day), I could afford to buy my first "vanity" item (i.e. a mod that was just right for my weapon of choice).

IMO this is about the right balance. I can't just buy whatever I want and am able to safe money for a special item or buy more or less food and materials. I also feel that quests as the single important source of income is ok for early game, you should not be able to just mass produce money with stuff you find/mine/craft.

That you can find corn, bluebeeries and other fruits in stacks of 15 in the vending machines is a bit too much IMO. Each stack is equivalent to 3 seeds and makes your farm grow too fast. The vending machines should have emergency food and maximal stacks of 1-2 of anything that can be converted to seeds, even better would be removing them entirely from the machines.

Archived