Repair kits require 5 mech parts instead of 1 forged iron now? Really?

Mephistopheles

Crafting mech parts requires forged steel, which requires Hammer and Forge 4, which requires Intellect 8. Also, you lowered the gating on the forge, but have now gated the anvil and made it require a stupid amount of materials to build. Those who spend time finding a forge in the world can now no longer use it without an anvil, because not only does it require ungodly materials to build, but it's also gated behind the same exact perk that is required to build a forge. This makes world found forges nearly useless, save for making forged iron bars.

All these recipe changes, constant mechanic changes, with little to no documentation or explanation is getting really old. There were so many things working nearly perfectly in a16 that have now been absolutely destroyed.

While I do agree, that a lot of stuff isn'T well thoughtout, I actually feel that this is warranted. It makes sense that it uses mechanical parts, but I do see the problems in the future, when guns (to be scrapped) get rarer and all that...and I worry how they will adress that then.

As I said, they do change weird things without keeping in mind the balance, but at least this time it makes (in world) sense for it to use mechanical parts.

This is Royal deluxe

You get more than enough mech parts by disassembling Grey weapons.

Scrapping a pistol gives, what, 2-3 mech parts? You really think it's reasonable that in order for me to craft a stack of 50 repair kits, what used to require 50 forged iron, now requires 250 mechanical parts?

- - - Updated - - -

While I do agree, that a lot of stuff isn'T well thoughtout, I actually feel that this is warranted. It makes sense that it uses mechanical parts, but I do see the problems in the future, when guns (to be scrapped) get rarer and all that...and I worry how they will adress that then.

As I said, they do change weird things without keeping in mind the balance, but at least this time it makes (in world) sense for it to use mechanical parts.

It would be fine if it was 1 mech part per repair kit, as it was 1 forged iron being replaced as required materials. Requiring 5 mechanical parts is overkill. Or it would make sense if it was 2 required, but you could craft mech parts without also requiring forged steel, INT 8, and Hammer and Forge 4.

This just allows people who do character builds without an early forge and easier way to repair their weapons. Mech parts are EVERYWHERE. Just spend a day and do nothing but disassemble all the crap outside and in the POIs you've cleared and you'll be loaded with them and pretty much every basic mat. If you do that - oil is still the bottleneck at first.

I do agree though that the quantity of the mechanical parts required per repair kit is a little excessive. I think two or three per kit is more reasonable. (since you get three from scrapping most of the weapons - just seems logical that a maximum of three is what's needed to repair )

This just allows people who do character builds without an early forge and easier way to repair their weapons. Mech parts are EVERYWHERE. Just spend a day and do nothing but disassemble all the crap outside and in the POIs you've cleared and you'll be loaded with them and pretty much every basic mat. If you do that - oil is still the bottleneck at first.

I do agree though that the quantity of the mechanical parts required per repair kit is a little excessive. I think two or three per kit is more reasonable. (since you get three from scrapping most of the weapons - just seems logical that a maximum of three is what's needed to repair )

Oh really? How are you supposed to spend a whole day wrenching cars if the wrench only lasts for 18 hits before needing repaired...WITH FORGED STEEL? Yes, traders which are now sparse, might have forged steel 10% of the time.

Sorry, didn't read all posts. Just wanted to say I like the change. I ALWAYS have 50+ mechanical parts by around day 2-3. I thought, and continue to think, that this is actually a positive change.

If playing on low difficulties with default loot which is 100% then sure, 10 shotguns per trash bag, even with 25% loot that's possible to get few mid-late game guns on day 1 which is just stupid. Balance things arround the good thing which is "guns are very rare", then there will not be so many guns to scrap or sell for 30 dukes, what survival is that if guns are so common that they are scrapped/thrown away and are considered a resource not a lucky drop. The recipe should be much cheaper bcs the guns should be much rarer.

If playing on low difficulties with default loot which is 100% then sure, 10 shotguns per trash bag, even with 25% loot that's possible to get few mid-late game guns on day 1 which is just stupid. Balance things arround the good thing which is "guns are very rare", then there will not be so many guns to scrap or sell for 30 dukes, what survival is that if guns are so common that they are scrapped/thrown away and are considered a resource not a lucky drop. The recipe should be much cheaper bcs the guns should be much rarer.

I play on default settings (Nomad), loot respawn 15 days on my dedicated MP server, BM count 16, airdrop markers on with 72 drop cycle.

But why does the conversation have to be around gun scrapping, it's very easy to find level 1-2 wrenches day 1 and scrap 1-2 cars, or fridges, washing machines, garbage disposals, ect. Mechanical parts are one of the easiest materials to get at any stage of the game. I stand by my initial statement of liking the change.

I play on default settings (Nomad), loot respawn 15 days on my dedicated MP server, BM count 16, airdrop markers on with 72 drop cycle.

But why does the conversation have to be around gun scrapping, it's very easy to find level 1-2 wrenches day 1 and scrap 1-2 cars, or fridges, washing machines, garbage disposals, ect. Mechanical parts are one of the easiest materials to get at any stage of the game. I stand by my initial statement of liking the change.

My last two playthroughs, I found my first wrenches on Day 3 and Day 6 respectively. They were both level 1, with 25% and 40% durability left. The one with 40% was enough to scrap two cars and I got a few mech parts. The 25% one lasted 18 hits and I got maybe 2 mech parts from it. Last playthrough, I never could repair my wrench because after traveling 88km, I had only found one single trader and he never updated with any forged steel in his stock. The first playthrough, I only found two traders that were 4km apart, and one finally had some forged steel to buy on Day 13. And of course you can't craft forge steel until you have 8 INT and 4 Forge perks now, so the only option in early gameplay to repair wrenches is hoping that RNGesus blesses the trader with forged steel.

My last two playthroughs, I found my first wrenches on Day 3 and Day 6 respectively. They were both level 1, with 25% and 40% durability left. The one with 40% was enough to scrap two cars and I got a few mech parts. The 25% one lasted 18 hits and I got maybe 2 mech parts from it. Last playthrough, I never could repair my wrench because after traveling 88km, I had only found one single trader and he never updated with any forged steel in his stock. The first playthrough, I only found two traders that were 4km apart, and one finally had some forged steel to buy on Day 13. And of course you can't craft forge steel until you have 8 INT and 4 Forge perks now, so the only option to repair wrenches is hoping that RNGesus blesses the trader with forged steel.

Yeah, sometimes RNGesus is not so forgiving. Day 1-2 I usually have cleared out 2-3 non dungeon POIs and searched a bunch of sinks in the broken burn biome corner buildings. I generally have 3-4 wrenches and 2-4 cans of acid by the time I get to the trader lol.

This. I have way more mechanical parts early game than I do forged iron due to tearing apart cars and scrapping crappy guns. Maybe it should be 3-4 mech parts inside of 5 but otherwise I think the change is fine.

The trader also sells mechanical parts, you can also get them from wrenching various things in the world not just cars, scrap guns also for more mechanical parts.

I know this experimental alpha has had alot of issues but this isn't one of them. Getting 5 mechanical parts is not that difficult. If you insist of having massive quantities of items lower respawn of loot to it's lowest setting, increase loot abundance to 200% and that should fix your issue.

Idk why folks always complain about things that can easily be fixed by changing the in game settings. Like most of the issues people have with the game can easily be fixed with a few changes to the in game settings on the advanced tab before entering your world now if you play MP take up the issue with the server admin. If they don't want to make the changes then play solo or on a server that has the settings you want.

5 mech parts is no big deal now even for low levels but Forged Iron is a bit tougher to get at start...

so Day One you can make a repair kit for your main gun... by scrapping lvl1 guns or taking a mission from the trader and before clicking the bouncing "!" go clear the POI and scrap EVERYTHING... then go click the Bouncing "!" and it resets the whole POI ... Fridge, ovens, safes, lights etc...

I actually prefer not needing forged Iron day one.

This is Royal deluxe

You get more than enough mech parts by disassembling Grey weapons.

Doesn't get past the point of it being pretty stupid and a change that was not needed in the first place. Same can be said of the bellows recipie. Then again on the flip side, with how often you dismantle guns to get the ammo/because they don't sell for much you'll almost always have some of those parts on hand.

5 mech parts is no big deal now even for low levels but Forged Iron is a bit tougher to get at start...

so Day One you can make a repair kit for your main gun... by scrapping lvl1 guns or taking a mission from the trader and before clicking the bouncing "!" go clear the POI and scrap EVERYTHING... then go click the Bouncing "!" and it resets the whole POI ... Fridge, ovens, safes, lights etc...

I actually prefer not needing forged Iron day one.

Yeah, I don't do this as to me its exploiting/cheating. Then again I use my own "cheats" like setting light value of mining helm/the headlamp mod to 0.001 so I can actually use the light and not have every zombie see me from miles away. Light value=how much it effects the stealth meter, 0.001 means it doesn't move it and zombies do not see it period. Just don't set it to 0, I tried that once and console puked a red error at me for it. Was in a16.4 though, but I assume the same thing might happen, 0.001 is bascally 0 anyway.

Doesn't get past the point of it being pretty stupid and a change that was not needed in the first place. Same can be said of the bellows recipie. Then again on the flip side, with how often you dismantle guns to get the ammo/because they don't sell for much you'll almost always have some of those parts on hand.

That's the great thing about opinions....everyone's got one. I don't find the change stupid at all.

That's the great thing about opinions....everyone's got one. I don't find the change stupid at all.

When I first seen it I was like "Wtf why?" then I remembered I almost ALWAYS have a ongoing stack of mechanical parts in my inventory then I was like "Hmmm this is not so bad actually." I do wish they;d get rid of electric parts though and just fuse it with mechanical parts as "Spare parts" Just a personal thing, as I feel the game has way to much clutter as it is, and more keeps being added each alpha.

I've never been one to use a gun as my go to weapon (melee/archer) and I never use an auger so I have never needed tons of repair kits. Mech parts make a helluva lot more sense in a repair kit than forged iron does. The amount of them per kit? Remains to be seen if balance is needed.

Archived