REV6:7-8's ADMIN SKILL POINTS

rev678

Description:

This modlet makes the game less annoying by letting players fully flesh out their attributes and perks, as they see fit.

It adds new quest items to the game that let the player decide how many additional skill points to instantly give themselves. By default, the items are only available in creative mode, which you can activate by entering CM from the command console (F1).

System Requirements/Fine Print:

The latest version of this modlet has been tested on the vanilla/base install of 7 Days To Die for PC/MAC, version(s):

Alpha 19.6 B8 Stable

WITHOUT OTHER MODS, MODLETS, OR CUSTOMIZATIONS

It may or may not work with earlier versions of 7DTD, may or may not work with experimental versions of 7DTD, may or may not work with other mods or modlets or customizations, and may or may not work with your particular server configuration.

Also, console players are out of luck with this one. Sorry!

Your mileage may vary. Caveat emptor.

Installation:

1.  Download this zip file to your computer.

2. Extract the rev678_admin_skill_points folder from the zip file.

3. Open your 7 Days To Die game installation folder. The easiest way to do this is to find your 7 Days To Die game listed in your Steam LIBRARY, right-click on it to open the pop-up menu, select Properties, single-click on the LOCAL FILES tab, and then click on BROWSE LOCAL FILES.

4. Look in your 7 Days To Die game folder for a Mods folder. If there is NOT already a Mods folder, create one by right-clicking on any empty space in the folder window and selecting New Folder.

5. Open the Mods folder.

6. If you already HAVE an old/existing rev678_admin_skill_points folder, remove it from the 7 Days To Die game folder's Mods folder.
FAILURE TO DO SO MAY CAUSE YOU UNEXPECTED ISSUES!

7. Copy or move the rev678_admin_skill_points folder into the Mods folder.

Using this modlet:

1. After installing this modlet, either start a new game or continue an existing one.

2. Open the command console (F1).

3. Enter CM to turn creativemenu on.

4. Close the command console (ESC).

5. Enter the CREATIVE menu using whatever key binding you have it set to (often the U key).

6. Single click on the DEV BLOCKS icon.

7. In the search field to the right of the magnifying lens, type ADMIN (not case sensitive). You'll notice eight (8) new quest challenge notes... ADMIN POINTS 1, 10, 25, 50, 100, 250, and 279.

8. Give yourself any of these new items.

9. Read the item, like any other quest note.

10. Enjoy!

Uninstall:

To uninstall this modlet, simply remove the rev678_admin_skill_points folder from the Mods folder.

Troubleshooting/Errors:

If you are having problems with this modlet, please try the following self-troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure 7DTD is not running.

- Move all of your existing modlet folders out of your Mods folder, say to your Desktop (TEMPORARILY).

- Restart the game, and see if you get the error you posted.

- If so, your game/save may be pooched, and you'll want to delete it and start a new game/save. Restart the game, and see if you get the error you posted.

- If so, your copy of 7DTD may be pooched, and you'll want to re-install. Restart the game, and see if you get the error you posted.

- If not, try ONLY moving my modlet folder(s) back into your Mods folder.

- Restart the game, and see if you get the error you posted.

- If so, THEN my modlet(s) may be causing your error. If that's the case, please report back here with more details (which modlets you have installed, what game version you're running, PC/MAC/Linux/console, etc), and I'll try to help you.

- If not, someone else's product(s) may be causing your error, and you'll want to pursue the issue further with them.

Hope this helps, and cheers!

REV6:7-8

MY MODLETS:

REV6:7-8's ADMIN SKILL POINTS

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...N-SKILL-POINTS

REV6:7-8's REALITY CHECK

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...-REALITY-CHECK

Edited by rev678
UPDATED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS (see edit history)

Thanks @rev687, I used this to model the same thing for give and take experience.

The only I am seeing is that with experience once you have given it to them, and their level goes up. When I take it away it doesnt put their level back down to what it should be.

Any thoughts on how to do that.

Ozzland,

I'm guessing you're using giveselfxp from the command line to give yourself XP (to simulate gaining levels), but then trying to remove those experience points afterwards? I wasn't aware that we could remove experience points from a player, not easily at least.

And that's a bit different than the way this modlet works. I'm adding quests (into quests.xml) and quest items (into items.xml). Reading the quest item adds the corresponding number of skill points. But I'm not doing anything with adjusting the player's experience points and/or level.

Hope this clarifies,

FYI/FWIW:

In 7DTD Alpha 17 Stable B240, it currently takes...

... 315 skill points as a brand new player at level 1 to flesh out all attributes and perks as far as possible before level restrictions.

OR

... 329 skill points as a brand new player if boosting level to 300 (giveselfxp 1000000000 from the command prompt works well) to fully flesh out all attributes and perks.

I intentionally set the highest ADMIN SKILL POINTS quest item to give 500 skill points, to allow plenty of room for future growth if TFP modify the skill points required for various attributes or perks.

FYI/FWIW:

In 7DTD Alpha 17 Stable B240, it currently takes...

... 315 skill points as a brand new player at level 1 to flesh out all attributes and perks as far as possible before level restrictions.

OR

... 329 skill points as a brand new player if boosting level to 300 (giveselfxp 1000000000 from the command prompt works well) to fully flesh out all attributes and perks.

I intentionally set the highest ADMIN SKILL POINTS quest item to give 500 skill points, to allow plenty of room for future growth if TFP modify the skill points required for various attributes or perks.

UPDATED TODAY...

1. Added two (2) new quests and corresponding quest items to give 315 and 329 skill points.

2. Updated OP with the new download link, system requirements, and minor cosmetic changes.

UPDATED THIS MORNING...

1. Removed the ADMIN SKILL POINTS 329 item and corresponding quest. Boosting player level from level 1 to level 300 grants 299 skill points, before even completing the tutorial quest line. So the 329 skill points become sort of unnecessary.

2. Updated OP with the new download link.

Updated original post...

1. Made document formatting changes for improved readability.

2. Updated the Known Compatibilities section.

3. Updated the Installation section.

4. Updated the Troubleshooting/Errors section.

The 06JAN2019 version of this modlet is fully compatible with and has successfully passed testing for the latest experimental version, Alpha 17.1 Experimental B9.

Updated Systems Requirements/Fine Print section of original post.

Placed the extracted folder to 7daystodieroot/Mods .. so 7daystodie/Mods/yourmodfolder.. and in creative menu I don't see anything..? I am running A17 B9.. any advice?

zim8662,

This modlet has been tested for and works properly with Alpha 17 Stable B240, Alpha 17.1 Experimental B8, and Alpha 17.1 Experimental B9.

Under the Using this modlet section of my original post, did you do step #6?

"6. Single click on the DEV BLOCKS icon."

That's the most likely reason you're not seeing the ADMIN POINTS quest challenge notes.

1. This modlet is fully compatible with and has been tested for Alpha 17.1 Stable B9.

2. I currently have nineteen (19) different modlets published in these forums and available for download. That's a large number of "moving parts" to test, debug, re-publish, and provide end-user support for every time TFP releases an update to 7DTD.

3. With that in mind, from this point forward, I'm only planning to officially support the latest stable release of 7DTD with my modlets.

4. That's not to say they will cease to function properly with older or experimental versions of 7DTD. They may very well work just fine for you. In all likelihood, they will, unless TFP radically changes the structure of the game's XML files.

5. THAT SAID... If you choose to "color outside the lines," you may be on your own as far as troubleshooting any issues that arise from using my modlets in unsupported scenarios.

6. Updated original post to reflect the current system requirements.

• 1 month later...

The 06JAN2019 version of this modlet is fully compatible with and has successfully passed testing for the latest STABLE version, Alpha 17.2 Stable B27.

Updated Systems Requirements/Fine Print section of original post.

• 2 months later...

The latest version of this modlet is fully compatible with and has successfully passed testing for the latest STABLE version of 7DTD, Alpha 17.3 Stable B18.

1. Added an extended version number within the modlet (which is visible in the console output as the modlet loads), to help users know at a glance which version(s) they have installed.

2. Updated the System Requirements/Fine Print section of the original post.

3. Renamed the attached zip file in the original post, corresponding to the version of 7DTD this modlet requires.

Edited by rev678 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

The latest version of this modlet is fully compatible with and has successfully passed testing for the latest STABLE version of 7DTD, Alpha 17.4 B4 Stable.

1. Updated the extended version number within the modlet (which is visible in the console output as the modlet loads), to help users know at a glance which version(s) they have installed.

3. Renamed the attached zip file in the original post, corresponding to the version of 7DTD this modlet requires.

• 4 months later...

The latest version of this modlet is fully compatible with and has successfully passed testing for the latest STABLE version of 7DTD, Alpha 18 b155 Stable.

1. This modlet does NOT grant any points under any of the various Book Perks titles, nor are there any plans to implement such functionality.

2. In Alpha 17, it took 315 skill points as a brand new player to max out all skills and perks as far as possible before level restrictions. In Alpha 18, that changed to 304 skill points, so the ADMIN POINTS 315 item and corresponding quest has been adjusted accordingly.

3. Adjusted the Stacknumber on the quest items from 50 down to 1, to reduce inventory clutter.

4. Updated the extended version number within the modlet (which is visible in the console output as the modlet loads), to help users know at a glance which version(s) they have installed.

5. Updated the System Requirements/Fine Print section of the original post.

6. Renamed the attached zip file in the original post, corresponding to the version of 7DTD this modlet requires.

• 3 weeks later...

The latest version of this modlet is fully compatible with and has successfully passed testing for the latest STABLE version of 7DTD, Alpha 18.1 b7 Stable.

1. Updated the extended version number within the modlet (which is visible in the console output as the modlet loads), to help users know at a glance which version(s) they have installed.

Edited by rev678 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...