How about getting rid of secondary attack and put in shove

leaderdog

1. It's not even a matter of realism...it's how you would expect something to work. Swinging a stick in an arc, you would expect to hit in an arc...The only way pinpoint melee aiming makes sense is if you're jabbing.

2. There's nothing about this being a voxel game that makes ray casts different than other games...casting a ray is casting a ray. The only issue that comes into play with this is if you swing at a block up close and have it so the first ray that hits is what does damage, you would hit to the right of where you aim. I still think this could be fixed by having a fan shape of rays that only interact with/damage entities, perhaps with less of an angle than L4D if you're expecting to only have a single ray do damage rather than hitting multiple targets, but also have a single ray that fires along with the fan of rays shooting directly forward just like now that only does block damage.

My point of view on a voxel game making ray casts "different" was in CPU usage. Voxel games use a ton more CPU than other games. If (which I do not know) ray casts ALSO use a lot of CPU then Houston we have a problem.

Add it to the perk system, level 1 unlocks a basic shove, level 2 it gets batter, at level 3 you can get a kick, and 4 the kick becomes stronger, and at level 5 you can do shield slams (assuming shields are implemented)

This reminds me of dead island or the better game dying light.

My point of view on a voxel game making ray casts "different" was in CPU usage. Voxel games use a ton more CPU than other games. If (which I do not know) ray casts ALSO use a lot of CPU then Houston we have a problem.

At that point, we'd need someone with actual programming knowledge in ray tracing to step in and explain it to us. I don't know if it does or not, but if they're using ray tracing already for gun shots, not sure why it can't be extended without burning up the cpu. ;)

Putting a fan of rays on melee will only need maybe 10-12 rays if you're using a smaller angle than L4D. For comparison a shotgun shoots 8 rays. I don't think adding 4 more is going to make that much difference.

I was having some fun with modding the blunderbuss before. Changed ray count to 100 and the spread to 30. Firing it caused a slight moment of lag, but I think this was due to having to register damage 100 times on many different blocks. Not that it would be an issue on a short-range melee weapon with only 12, but I imagine this would be avoided entirely if the ~12 entity rays did no damage to blocks and only the single forward shooting block ray did like I suggested last post.

Melee feels weird. Its because they are using the same targeting as ranged. You have to hit exactly in the little cross-hair even when swinging with the MASSIVE sledge hammer.

Solution: They need to make the head models of the zombies bigger when wielding a melee weapon.

This is the textbook definition of a band-aid solution to a problem. It's at best a wonky workaround.

What they need to do is model collision, either by replacing the current ray-cast system with actual freaking COLLISION, or by expanding on the possibilities of ray-cast.

Putting a fan of rays on melee will only need maybe 10-12 rays if you're using a smaller angle than L4D. For comparison a shotgun shoots 8 rays. I don't think adding 4 more is going to make that much difference.

I was having some fun with modding the blunderbuss before. Changed ray count to 100 and the spread to 30. Firing it caused a slight moment of lag, but I think this was due to having to register damage 100 times on many different blocks. Not that it would be an issue on a short-range melee weapon with only 12, but I imagine this would be avoided entirely if the ~12 entity rays did no damage to blocks and only the single forward shooting block ray did like I suggested last post.

Okay but what I don't want is the [melee] rays hitting 12 different voxels because I missed.

That's as big a problem [for me] as a little bit of lag.

I'm not saying that it can't be overcome but in a voxel game it's an issue for sure.

This is the textbook definition of a band-aid solution to a problem. It's at best a wonky workaround.

What they need to do is model collision, either by replacing the current ray-cast system with actual freaking COLLISION, or by expanding on the possibilities of ray-cast.

Yeah

IF they are going to fix it, may as well do a proper job of it.

Okay but what I don't want is the [melee] rays hitting 12 different voxels because I missed.

That's as big a problem [for me] as a little bit of lag.

I'm not saying that it can't be overcome but in a voxel game it's an issue for sure.

Already addressed that.

Or could make it so after one hit on any target the rest of the ray hits don't even fire or do no damage.

Not that it would be an issue on a short-range melee weapon with only 12, but I imagine this would be avoided entirely if the ~12 entity rays did no damage to blocks and only the single forward shooting block ray did like I suggested last post.

Those resident evil movies were terrible- and she was an overrated actress.

Nobody is going to run up a wall to do a spin around kick on a zomb dog. Overly stylized movies make me hulk rage.

It just screams to me--- LOOK KIDS- WE ARE SOO COOOOOOL!

That's why the worst movie ever was henzel and gretel. A name I don't even like to speak.

Everytime I loot foul trash in 7 days to die- I think of that movie.

But er, back on topic?

Yes I think removing power attack to put in block would be awesome. Who didn't love blocking in skyrim? I would love to see something like that here- where hitting mouse 1 then attacks with shield to bash em.

Power attacks just don't make a lot of sense to me in a game like this. Why wouldn't I just spam them if I can?

Those resident evil movies were terrible- and she was an overrated actress.

Nobody is going to run up a wall to do a spin around kick on a zomb dog. Overly stylized movies make me hulk rage.

It just screams to me--- LOOK KIDS- WE ARE SOO COOOOOOL!

Aaaah! How dare you.

Mila is awesome.... and she IS COOL!

Not to mention so is that scene.

Not only do you get a cool kick to the face of a zombie dog, you get a crotch shot of Mila.

If you can't see the awesomeness in that.... hand in your Man card dude. You're done.

40RRXFN.gif

How dare you question my dudeness. How dare you. You are dangerously close to me having to fulfill my internet police duties and breaking out me ole keyboard in the shape of a billy club and teaching you the real meaning of internet police brutality!

With those pleasantries aside...

HOW DARE YOU SHOW ME THAT CLIP AGAIN!!! I CAN'T TAKE IT!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

IT's SOO STANDARD ISSUE HOLLYWOOD!! SOO CLICHE!! SOO UNREALISTIC... CAN'T STOMACH IT.... GOING.... TOO....

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!

Uhm...

eh...

excuse me, I think I just pooped myself a little... I gotta go =-x

Archived