Build 231 == New world

DocBurN

We just abandoned our A17 pre B221 map since it was bugged every blood moon everybody would froze in place. We dropped 45 Level each approx. And now there is new POIs in 231 and we had re-grinded from scratch to level 15 in B221.

Im fully aware its an Alpha... i got more than 1000 hours into 7days but as much as i really want to play A17 right now... i got the feeling i should wait a few weeks for those quick n multiple bugfix builds before starting anything serious (and i dont want to spend my xmas vacation NOT playing). Wait for the equivalent Alpha 17 of the Alpoha 16.4 that stayed 1 year straight.

Is there a mention somewhere by TFP that suggest we are not forced to recreate world every build in the A17 era ?

There are some big changes to the game so it's probably best to start a new world, I will be.

Just to confirm though, you aren't forced to update to the latest patch, you can set your Steam not to auto-update. What's more you are right in saying it's an alpha, but it's also an experimental alpha, meaning you should expect to create a new world with each build - with it being a rare bonus if it doesn't need it.

I think you are missing the point. We dont have a17 yet. There is an experimental version of a17 for whoever wants to test it. But on your steam options, you need to specifically say that you want to try out experimental versions.

Otherwise, 16.4 is still the current version. You dont have to wait for them to stop patching up, you have to wait for them to release a17.

We just abandoned our A17 pre B221 map since it was bugged every blood moon everybody would froze in place. We dropped 45 Level each approx. And now there is new POIs in 231 and we had re-grinded from scratch to level 15 in B221.

Im fully aware its an Alpha... i got more than 1000 hours into 7days but as much as i really want to play A17 right now... i got the feeling i should wait a few weeks for those quick n multiple bugfix builds before starting anything serious (and i dont want to spend my xmas vacation NOT playing). Wait for the equivalent Alpha 17 of the Alpoha 16.4 that stayed 1 year straight.

Is there a mention somewhere by TFP that suggest we are not forced to recreate world every build in the A17 era ?

These are the experimental builds. One of the main purposes in releasing it to the public is for brute force bug testing. A community of several thousand will cover vastly more ground than their group of dedicated playtesters.

To that end, when you play an experimental PRE-patch like this, you really are expected to start a new game every new build...They're already looking for and fixing bugs as fast as they are found/reported. Playing with old build files conflicting with the new build changes will just cause headaches.

I can completely understand the frustration of having to restart, even though it is alpha, IF THIS WERE A17 STABLE. After all, a stable branch is them saying "look, this is it. We're not going to be making small tweaks and balances for a while, and the next changes will be significantly more sizable. You're now free to play without worry of your work being wiped out." You're also able, once it's a stable branch, to use steam to lock in the version you're playing (you don't click to opt in to experimental builds in that case).

As someone who is playing an experimental build that you had to specifically opt into thru the steam menus though, this restarting each new build is exactly what you signed up for.

just the opposite actually...when you sign up for an experimental build, you basically ARE saying you'll start a new game every build.

Basically it boils down to one of three choices:

1) play the experimental builds, and restart each new build - you play with ONLY the bugs that exist in each build, and can help TFP find some of them which makes the game better and more stable going forwards

2) play the experimental builds, and deal with the fact that your game may significantly change or break if you don't restart. You'll undoubtedly get bugs, those bugs might be irreparable, and you won't be able to contribute meaningfully to bug reporting, but you (maybe) won't have to restart each build.

3) don't play the experimental builds. Either continue in A16.4 until A17 stable is released or just hold off playing until A17 stable is released (it has already gone thru 3 public experimental builds, I'd imagine it won't be that much further away).

No matter your choice (unless it's to ignore A17 and continue 16.4 indefinitely), you'll be facing the prospect of starting a new game relatively soon anyways. TFP simply can't make the changes they NEED to make in the game AND promise everything prior will still work with the new code.

Doc:

The way I force myself to look at these Experimental Builds is to just have some fun with it. Try hard not to play too serious and "kick the tires" for the Pimps sake.

I also use these as a way to train myself in the new combat and interface systems, etc. It is a great way to "git gud" while we are waiting for the final version of A17 to drop.

Not sure if this helps, but for me it provides the proper perspective until release.

Archived